Hi,the band im in played our first gig last saturday,we were playing cover versions at a mates wedding.We were just going to turn up in whatever but at the last moment decided to wear all black with shirt and ties,all of us wore trainers and nobody shaved but we had an immediate response from people saying how good we looked and the owner of the venue a very swish country house asked us for a buissness card(wich we had)soley because, as we were dressed as a band she assumed we were well established.
All this aside i dont think it is vital to all dress alike as the music should speak for itself,but we are going to dress the same way for the next feww gigs to see if it has the same effect.Had we played a pub gig first we wouldn't have thought about it at all.
You just have to decide for yourselfs wether its your thing to create an image as much as it is to create your own sound,just dont take to long looking in the mirror(unless your the singer).
Feel the fear and do it anyway.
Quote by joby
All this aside i dont think it is vital to all dress alike as the music should speak for itself....

yeah I haven't heard of a band dressing alike for a long long time. I mean more 'brand.' sort of looking like what youre stereotyped to look like based on your genre. like fall out boy or panic at the disco. i guess its more bands (controlled by labels) that target young girls that care, haha.
hmm I dont ever discuss what I wear with any of my bands mates...We all just show up in jeans and a t-shirt (more likely than not it'll have a band name on it)
You have to worry about your image some, you have to look like your music (if that makes sense). Don't let it become more important than the music.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Well my band plays pop-rock, and we decided our image was important, so we decided to all dress in three piece suits, minus the blazer, and such. It really depends on you genre because in most genres you don't have to dress similar.
Eyes
Quote by woodenbandman
My dear man, I must petition you for photographic evidence, or the described events cannot be verified, and will be written off as fallacy.
Quote by element4433
You have to worry about your image some, you have to look like your music (if that makes sense). Don't let it become more important than the music.

yes that is what i mean, not clothing. i mean the whole package including style and grooming but also where you hang otu and who with, ect.
We have 3 whites, 2 asains, and a black guy. And we play metal/hardcore.
We always just joke about how diverse we are, along with plenty of racist jokes.

As far as clothes goes, we wear what we normally wear.

Quote by auditorylove
yes that is what i mean, not clothing. i mean the whole package including style and grooming but also where you hang otu and who with, ect.

Just don't smell like ass, then people will talk to you.
last.fm | Rush Hour | Dead Format
Quote by HxC73107
pray for plagues or off the heezay by bring me the horizon both great songs specially when ur at a pit at trhe reall show
I think it all depends on your view. Truly, it doesn't matter that much to me but if you think about it People come to your show to be entertained. That is, they're not just gonna sit there and stare into space while they try to listen to your music. Now, you don't have to dress a certain way to entertain people but it's just one way. I believe stage presence is the main entertainer when you go to a show but once again, how you dress could affect your stage presence.
It should fit with the type of music you play, or whatever you feel comfortable in.
Order & Justice
Order Restored, Justice Served
If you dress like a rockstar, you are a rockstar. But seriously, a live performance is just as much visual as it is audio. Noone wants to see bland statues, they want to see something interesting. Looking the part may be enough to get people to say, "Hey these guys are dedicated, were looking at a solid performance here."

To each his own.

Do you want this?

Or this?

Last edited by Avalanchi at Sep 16, 2007,
Quote by Avalanchi
If you dress like a rockstar, you are a rockstar. But seriously, a live performance is just as much visual as it is audio. Noone wants to see bland statues, they want to see something interesting. Looking the part may be enough to get people to say, "Hey these guys are dedicated, were looking at a solid performance here."

YES exactly
what is a blues band suposed to wear? i'll take it my metallica t shirt may be a bit misleading.......
I work daily with different bands and here are my biggest fashion pet peeves when it comes to stage wear:

1. Bands that show up looking like the just finished doing lawn work (no effort to impress at all)
2. The guys who show up wearing loose neck ties and white shirts (overdone)
3. Washed up 80's outfits with black eye liner
4. Any type of wigs

I've seen guys show up wearing jeans and a Ramones T-shirt and still work it because they had that image. I've also seen a lead singer come out looking like he just came from a GQ photo shoot, but it worked for him because I would call his music (Mature Rock) and he was attractive, which appleaded to female audience members.

The key part to remember is making sure your image fits your music and the type of message you want to deliver.

Spiderfizz, there is a young blues band in my area that usually shows up to gigs wearing jeans, a t-shirt and some type of nice long sleeve shirt or the classic Blazer over t-shirt. Then some type of cool shoes or boots. It's classy, but still has an edge.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
Pretty much the only decision I make about my attire is wheter or not I wear clothes that day.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by woodenbandman
Pretty much the only decision I make about my attire is wheter or not I wear clothes that day.

And that all depends on the weather!
We haven't played a show yet, in fact we're still only semi-formed and have no name but my old school black metal band has already had the most important discussion of all - do we wear corpsepaint?!

The general consensus was, yes, because it's too silly NOT to wear. Sadly Immortal-style spiked shinguards were overruled.

Whether or not we actually do or not is anybody's guess tbh.
Quote by Jodimu

The general consensus was, yes, because it's too silly NOT to wear. Sadly Immortal-style spiked shinguards were overruled.

Real axes and swords though wouldn't be over ruled.

As far as the spiekd shin guards go I completely agree that would be over ruled.
I collect clothes and IKEA furniture. Who are you?
That cue ball or whatever it is looks more interesting than that explosion, actually... and I don't want 'Stock Photo' written across it.