I think they look pretty cool, but can anyone give me anything on how they play, how reliable/durable they are
Many people, including myself, do not think very much of Violin basses. They are extremely fragile, have rather low output, and a very bland and unfocused, albeit snappy, tone. The short-scale simply adds to these things. Cheap ones are the worst of all, but the only reasons the expensive ones are priced the way they are is because they have the whole Beatles connection.

All-in-all, the only reason you should be a violin bass is if you're in a Beatles cover band that requires you to look like the Beatles. There simply are better hollowbodies, and there are better short-scales.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I agree with thefitz, although I've never played the real expensive violin's, only several knockoffs (there's one below them but above rogue that I played.)

I don't like the tone very much on them, and I think it's very strange playing them. They're a very short scale bass, and although its fine and fluent to play on, it's just... its not my thing. Be sure to try one out before you think its the bass for you.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by IndianRockStar
When McCartney started playing REAL stuff, he began using Rick. I played a violin and it had no versatility at all.

The reason he bought it in the first place was because he is a cheap bugger and because it wouldn't look as dumb played backwards, unlike, say, a right handed Fender.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..