Many times I've heard people say that if you're trying to build muscle, the most effective way to do that is to alternate what you work out (ie. upper-body one day, lower-body the next). So I was sitting and thinking, does this statement hold true to guitar as well? Instead of practicing chromatics, sweeping, jamming, etc. every day, would it be better to say spend one day dedicated to technique, and one day dedicated to improvisiong and phrasing? I realize that working out and playing guitar are not the same, but they both work the muscles and require great amounts dedication and practice to see results.
Good Idea... I know it works with body workout but I don't know about guitar... I'm just waiting for a guitar guru to answer!
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
I don't know how it is on guitar, but I know on saxophone, you have to work your muscles in your mouth everyday on long tones to get good tone and vibrato, every. single. day. kind of sucks actually...but you get some beautiful tone and vibrato in the end if you know what your doing. so i'm not sure how it would work on guitar. It would probably work better mentally, instead of getting into one boring practice routine anyways.
Quote by Dan Steinman
You know you are a guitar player when the kids in the elementary school band can read sheet music better than you
Quote by Thin Ears
I don't know how it is on guitar, but I know on saxophone, you have to work your muscles in your mouth everyday on long tones to get good tone and vibrato, every. single. day. kind of sucks actually...but you get some beautiful tone and vibrato in the end if you know what your doing. so i'm not sure how it would work on guitar. It would probably work better mentally, instead of getting into one boring practice routine anyways.

That's a good point...anyone else have any thoughts?
When you work out you are essentially just tearing your muscles, and when the muscle grows back, it grows back bigger and stronger. That's why you alternate workouts, so the muscles have time to rest and grow back. Guitar is more about muscle memory, so alternating probably wouldn't do much.
This is what I do...I work technique like no other one day. Then the day after, I jam and have a more relaxed practice. You know, learn a couple songs, or whatever. I still warm up the exact same every day, and I do some things like playing all the modes every day (atleast when I remember).
"Hate is just baggage, lifes too short to be pissed off at everybody all the time." - American History X

Founder of the official Liquid Tension Experiment club, PM me to join!

In Soviet Russia, Acid Trips You!
I think mixing things up a bit everyday keeps things fresh and keep the motivation to practice higher. I think its important to practice with goals in mind and also to work on your weak spots more frequently. Personally I really have no desire to sweep pick so I don't practice that technique at all but I spend more time practicing improvising and try to practice progressively harder alternate picking runs.

Also If you can get out and jam with people - it funs and a great learning experience.