about investing in a bass. I've been playing guitar for about four years now and decided I want to try at some bass (no I'm not quitting guitar ) So I was thinking about an ESP F404, but not sure of amps cuz I don't know much about bass amps. I play a variety of music from Christian Contemporary to bands such as Skillet, Saosin and Paramore. I would like to stay under or around $1000.

Thanks guys
our tastes in music are very different

ummm ampeg and behringer are some good options for you to look at

unless you wanna go lemmy style and use a marshal head and cab and play distorted bass
Don't know much about bass amps, but the F-404 is great if your playing metal, not Christian. Also since you play the guitar it has a very nice transition neck. If I were you I'd look into a Fender J-bass. American if you can do it, its like 1100 i think not positive. But thats only if you get a small practice amp. Depends if your gigging or not. But then if you want a larger amp just get a standard. The only thing is that won't last you forever when the American would.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Ah yes, the bone-looking death bass made by a company that endorses Slayer and Cradle of Filth for a contemporary Christan band! You'll nail the 'God Hates Us All' tone.

Anyway, seriously, I own a Fender Bassman 250 amp and swear by it. You can get some great tones out of it, from booming bottom to zingy top. However, it's a bit 'advanced' as far as EQing possibilities, and while under $1000, isn't the cheapest amp ever. However, it's of great quality.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by Ultimate_Gio92
our tastes in music are very different

unless you wanna go lemmy style and use a marshal head and cab and play distorted bass

Behringer are not, in any way, a good choice for anyone when looking at amplifiers.

I personally would also avoid ESP as a manufacturer. They have never impressed me as a bass manufacturer. Personally I think they ought to stick to making their corny looking metalhead guitars.

For the kinds of music you play, you want something adaptable, so I would lean towards a Fender P or J. They're a sure bet, nice to play and you'll find countless popular bands use them.

As for an amp, Ampeg are popular, Ashdown are rapidly becoming more respected, and for good reason. Cheaper than Ampeg, but in my opinion of equal value.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Caustic
Behringer are not, in any way, a good choice for anyone when looking at amplifiers.

I disagree I like Behringer a lot. I'm able to dial in some nice tones, but what I heard is wrong with them is reliability. If he tests one out that works fine he should be all right and pretty much all music stores have a good return policy, so if it dies it he could trade it in.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by Ultimate_Gio92

You've made UG history! This is the first time that Ampeg and Behringer have been used in a positive sentence!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
People generalize behringer to much. Everyone just hops on a bashing wagon without playing one. They're above par practice amps.
Quote by doggy_hat
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
People generalize behringer to much. Everyone just hops on a bashing wagon without playing one. They're above par practice amps.

I disagree; especially since the guy has a $1000 budget. I don't think there are any bass amplifiers, practice or no, that has the unwanted distortion, exaggerated power ratings, fragile construction, and paranoia inducing reliability issues I've seen with Behringer gear. Their pro audio equipment is fine, but their amplification systems are not.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
true. i own one for a year now :P
still playing well, the sound isnt the best, but isnt the worst either.
but since you have 1000bucks to spend:
http://www.thomann.de/thoiw10_artikel-112500.html

http://www.thomann.de/thoiw10_gallien_krueger_backline_600_b115hb210h_prodinfo.html

http://www.thomann.de/thoiw10_artikel-109819.html
for the bass..

love this one..
http://www.thomann.de/thoiw10_warwick_corvette_std_4_nat_prodinfo.html

http://www.thomann.de/thoiw10_ibanez_sr505bm_5string_ebass_prodinfo.html

or fender, but you have a whole lot of fenders to look at.. so im not going to post any :P

but notice that this is only my opinion..

EDIT: the ibanez is supose to be 4 strings :P, sorry about that
AbsentMind
for bass a P-bass would be good, you mentioned Paramore, i think their bassists uses one
Quote by thefitz
Ah yes, the bone-looking death bass made by a company that endorses Slayer and Cradle of Filth for a contemporary Christan band! You'll nail the 'God Hates Us All' tone.

Just because it's a bit of an "anti-christian" album, doesn't mean he can't have great tone. I'm fond of Tom Araya and I actually think his tone is a nice kick in the balls. And what's better to emphasise jesus in your playing than a kick in the balls?
Currently attempting to learn: The Dissentience by Protest The Hero in it's entirety.
Quote by Metalcredge
Just because it's a bit of an "anti-christian" album, doesn't mean he can't have great tone. I'm fond of Tom Araya and I actually think his tone is a nice kick in the balls. And what's better to emphasise jesus in your playing than a kick in the balls?

A nice kick in the balls? Such a thing?
But I think that last line was hilarious so Sig'd.
Alright, I finally made my way into a signature, and all thanks to the jesus and tom araya partnership!
Currently attempting to learn: The Dissentience by Protest The Hero in it's entirety.
Quote by Metalcredge
Alright, I finally made my way into a signature, and all thanks to the jesus and tom araya partnership!

But the bass might have a bit too much of an elephant-in-the-bedroom sound, unless you're one of those Christian Death Metal bands.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz

But the bass might have a bit too much of an elephant-in-the-bedroom sound, unless you're one of those Christian Death Metal bands.

For all we know it could be one of those Christian Death Metal Bands who, may i add, scare me quite a lot.