I have a mexi strat, and up to this point in time I've never noticed that the neck has a gloss finish on the back. I was at GC today and i noticed that the Ibanez i was playing had the smoothest neck i've ever thought about buying.. (im a fender man though ....)
I just got home a while ago and wondered..

If i take very fine sandpaper, most likely 500 grit, and sand away that glossy finish on the back of my strat neck, will it have ramifications if i do this? I'm usually not the type that needs to change too many things, but this is one i'd enjoy a lot. Anyone know the answer to this question?
what ibanez? and im not sure about the neck, ask like a luthier maybe?
Quote by tarheelfan2
Oh ****, I just found out I got pwned by Joey! Damn...

Quote by funkbass369
GASPPPP! another one pwned by joey!

Quote by funkyfigure8
Lulz Joey Is Teh Ownage I Want His Penus
well that neck has to have some sort of finish on it too though... i personally prefer the strat to that guitar but that might work with the sandpaper...
Quote by tarheelfan2
Oh ****, I just found out I got pwned by Joey! Damn...

Quote by funkbass369
GASPPPP! another one pwned by joey!

Quote by funkyfigure8
Lulz Joey Is Teh Ownage I Want His Penus
Yeah you can sand the laquer down a bit to make it less smooth. Don't sand too hard or too much, as you risk going through the finish, though on a gloss finish from Fender it is usually quite a thick layer of lacquer.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Use a finer grit. 800 at the roughest. I made the mistake of using 600, and I've slowly sanded to the bare wood in a spot on my acoustic neck.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
yea, what they all said ^

i like to do that to my guitars too if they have a clear finish (not my alvarez). just rub your hand up and down the neck a lot a few good times after sanding---give it time in between so the oils in your hand can replenish---and it will be good and slick and wont stick like that stupid lacquer finish.
use .0000 steel wool to sand the neck
edit: maybe the neck had a satin finish.
Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
Last edited by GnGonzalesjoe at Sep 12, 2007,
i just use baby powder if my hands sticking to the neck then when you sweat it wont stick.....but i dont have the option of sanding down the glass cuz i got a black neck not just a gloss wood
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Quote by Will_Minus
Use a finer grit. 800 at the roughest. I made the mistake of using 600, and I've slowly sanded to the bare wood in a spot on my acoustic neck.

I kind of want that to happen. I have a maple neck and i'm not sure but i want to it get to feel just like plain wood. You know, how you sand a pool stick and it just glides through your fingers.
^If you get to bare wood, you'll need to oil the neck to keep it from warping.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

Quote by Will_Minus
^If you get to bare wood, you'll need to oil the neck to keep it from warping.

Okay then, would white mineral oil do the trick? I use that on my strings and i have it readily available. Actually i have a 5 gallon bucket of it... =\
^ I wouldn't risk it. The standard oils for necks are 100% pure tung oil and tru-oil.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

imo go with 0000 steel wool. I did it to my squier once. Worked like a dream
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build