Just a quick question.

I have tried the Marshall JCM2000 about 4 times now, trying out lots of possible combinations are I don't get it.
I feel as though my Vox AD50VT is not that far away tone wise from the Marshall, even though there is hundreds of dollars difference in the price tag.

Like, the distortion is awesome, but not 500 dollars difference, know what I mean?
Am I missing something?
the marshall has a better crunch for sure. other than that it's not all that better. but then if you're after crunch maybe the extra $ is worth it.
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
you might need to turn it up, at lower volumes you probably won't notice all that much difference.

your ear for tone may not have developed fully yet. things i used to think "didn't sound all that different" a while back are miles away now.

you just maybe don't like the jcm2000. that's not exactly a crime.

any or all of those may be the reason, or it could be something else too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
How high did you have it?
I didn't like the DSL very much in the first place, so I can see where you're coming from.
apologies. i havent played a DSL, it was TSL i played. >.< but yeah.. apparently the DSL combo sounds better *shrugs*
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
I honestly don't like the DSL and would agree on your statement, to me it's not worth it at all, unless I found it extremely cheap.

Now something like a JCM900 or 800, to me, is worth it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
^^ i'd have said the dsl head sounds better...

but yeah, i'm not too fussed either.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I would say turn it up as well to really hear how it reacts, but I'll add that I've never found a Marshall I was happy with. Every time I play one I wonder what all the hype is about. I've set up Marshalls for a lot of other guys and I've loved how they sounded, but for me there's just something missing.
Quote by TwoString
I would say turn it up as well to really hear how it reacts, but I'll add that I've never found a Marshall I was happy with. Every time I play one I wonder what all the hype is about. I've set up Marshalls for a lot of other guys and I've loved how they sounded, but for me there's just something missing.

Exact same thing for me here, ive played too 800's and i didnt crank them much but since they were 2205s i heard they sound decent on low volumes but all i got was this thin hissy distortion. Also ive tried the dsl 50 out 3 times and cranking it each time and spending time on it, and i really could never find a great tone. I heard the gearwire review and i told myself that i just dont have it dialed in right but ive found out that its not that great of an amp.
I"m not too big on the dsl but I can definitely hear a difference between one and a vox.

So yeah your ear isn't too developed yet. I was like that way back when. Now I spend half my practice time messing with the eq because I get frustrated when its not perfect.
Quote by Iamonfire
Just a quick question.

I have tried the Marshall JCM2000 about 4 times now, trying out lots of possible combinations are I don't get it.
I feel as though my Vox AD50VT is not that far away tone wise from the Marshall, even though there is hundreds of dollars difference in the price tag.

Like, the distortion is awesome, but not 500 dollars difference, know what I mean?
Am I missing something?

You're almost there.
The vox gives you the punch, the detail, and plenty enough of treble. Maybe too much umph, so you can probably cut down the bass. What you're lacking is the "grain" (granularity ? graininess ?, grannyness ? oh well, whatever...) or raspiness of the "cranked" marshall distorsion .

Two options I see are:
- Yamaha DG stomp

or ...

- Snarling Dogs Black Dog