I have a 2x12 cab with Vintage 30's in it. I'm thinking about buying a Laney Lionheart amp. I'm just not sure if I want the head or combo. The head is 20 watts class a tube and the combo is 5 class a tube. The speaker in the combo is a celestion G12H. What do you think the difference in sound is? Would it be better to go for the combo?
I think the G12H is a bit smoother personally, better for classic rock etc. Vintage 30s are a bit more aggresive and can have a harsher top end, they are ideal for harder rock and metal (they'll do classic rock and cleans well though).

Edit: yeah i'd go for the head, sounds like a good cab and Vintage 30s are good speakers. 20 watts is a bit more versatile, the 5 watts will struggle to compete with drums.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Axeman99
I think the G12H is a bit smoother personally, better for classic rock etc. Vintage 30s are a bit more aggresive and can have a harsher top end, they are ideal for harder rock and metal (they'll do classic rock and cleans well though).

Edit: yeah i'd go for the head, sounds like a good cab and Vintage 30s are good speakers. 20 watts is a bit more versatile, the 5 watts will struggle to compete with drums.

Smoother/Warmer is good. Deffinately what I want. Think the 5 tube watts in the combo is enough for mic'ed small gigs?
Mic'ed yeah, it'll be enough. You'll probably have problems at practices and rehearsals though.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
^ Aye, you'll have no clean headroom at all.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay