I'm doing a research paper on heavy metal. I was figuring this would be the best place to ask for some help. I was wondering what books would be good reads on the subject (Hammer of The Gods is a given I suppose), as well as any ideas, good articles, stuff like that.

The focus will be on the evolution of the genre, from it's roots in the 60's to today, the major players, it's impact on popular culture/music, how well it reflected the times, etc.

PS: It has to be 12 pages SINGLE ****ING SPACED. Not really relevant but it pissed me off so I thought I'd share.
The Metal Forum is actually the best place to ask instead of here. There's probably going to be arguing about the genre.
Why don't you just look up the history of metal on a search engine. That's what they are there for.
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
wikipedia man... i mean, wikipedia, man
"yeah, well, you know...

that's just like... your opinion man."

-The Dude, His Dudeness
find the rockDoc on the history of metal on vh1 it was pretty cool they interviewed dio and a bunch of people
Gear
Epiphone Black Les Paul Standard with gold Grover tuners
Fender Mexican Electric Blue Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider Jam
Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
Boss CS-1 Compression/Sustainer
You guys. >_<

Wikipedia is considered a sham in the academic world. I'd get an F for using it like it was a real source. There are references to real stuff at the bottom, but most of it is just as reputable.

I could search engine heavy metal, and have, but the internet is full of a lot of ****. I was hoping the metalheads of UG would be a better option.

I forgot there was a metal forum. =( I'll take this there.
Write the entire thing talking about the history of Gwar. And I'm not talking about their actual histories, I'm talking about their fictional histories.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
You are much better off buying a book... the kvlt guys there will just give you bands no one but them listens to.
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
Quote by chitowncowboy
You guys. >_<

Wikipedia is considered a sham in the academic world. I'd get an F for using it like it was a real source. There are references to real stuff at the bottom, but most of it is just as reputable.

I could search engine heavy metal, and have, but the internet is full of a lot of ****. I was hoping the metalheads of UG would be a better option.

I forgot there was a metal forum. =( I'll take this there.

If you can't with wiki, try www.answers.com
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by hethamulburton
Why don't you just look up the history of metal on a search engine. That's what they are there for.

well he's looking for books that we recommend...as opposed to flipping through every **** book found by google.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Don't forget to include Sabbath, Zeppelin, Deep Purple, and of course, Steppenwolf.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by GuitarHero0715

That guy makes me want to hit someone when he insults Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
I did the same thing for a research paper last year, 'cept slightly longer (no, you can not have my paper).
Check out the documentary "Metal: A Headbanger's Journey" and the book "Sound of the Beast : A History of Heavy Metal"....I think that's the name of the book at least
PM me if you have any questions, I may be able to help you out
Quote by Sooopo
I did the same thing for a research paper last year, 'cept slightly longer (no, you can not have my paper).
Check out the documentary "Metal: A Headbanger's Journey" and the book "Sound of the Beast : A History of Heavy Metal"....I think that's the name of the book at least
PM me if you have any questions, I may be able to help you out

Yes, Metal: A Headbangers Journey is your best answer. It breaks down the origins and every branch of metal. Its a great DVD
You have misgivings about wikipedia but come to the pit for help? What is the academic world coming to. =P
Quote by gflip69
Someone called me on my landline (home phone) and asked me where I was.
Take these guys's advice, and also read Satan rir media (Satan Rides The Media), if you're going to include Black Metal in your references, and check it against Varg's bio on www.burzum.org. That, and every self-respecting metalhead has that book.
Quote by raise_the_dead
I wouldnt be surprised if the first thing Varg did was sign up for WoW so he could kick some Judeo-Christian ass.

Final Fantasy

Cid Highwind of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Last edited by RockerPseudonym at Sep 12, 2007,
Try search for the seven ages of rock metal video, if you cant find that i'de start with black sabbath.