Page 1 of 2
I'm looking into a new guitar, and I really need a bigger sized guitar, considering im a big dude. I like my current Ibanez's, but they just feel too small.

I love the Ibanez semi-hollows, but they wont do hard rock/metal all that well.

What can you guys recommend? Something around $600 or so, give or take a hundred or so.
A Jackson maybe? They seem alittle bigger than most guitars.
Words to live by: Haters gonna' hate.
esp ltd mx 400, epiphone explorer., les pauls, epiphone V's
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
I mean like the body itself. I have no problem with the necks, but a lot of bodies themselves seem really narrow and/or short to me.

I've seen my teacher's Les Paul, looks pretty small too. I'm looking for the shape of a 335 type guitar, but solid body.
^^ +1 PRS guitars have pretty thick necks too
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
explorer of some type or go with like a dean XL ML or something how big we talkin?
Quote by LesPaulHer0
"in the grand scheme of things, nobody cares"

Gear:
Dean 10K Commemorative Razorback
Ibanez RG 3EX1
BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Fender Acoustic
Marshall MG250DFX
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Full Chorus
gibson faded flying-v? good bang-for-your-buck factor there too.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
A Faded Flying V may look a little bigger if you can find a used one. Don't know how fat the neck is though. They don't really make anything I know of in a big bodied solid body.
how big are you anyways?
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
I dunno, like 6 foot 225, maybe a little bit more. It's more of a feel issue. i'm im sitting down or whatever and I start playing my S, it feels tiny.

I was thinking about maybe an Explorer or something.
Yea, since you mentioned that you only really seem to notice when ur sitting (and since you probably practice/play sitting alot) I might warn you that the V could be a little bit awkward to use while sitting down. But on the other hand, I have met people who claim they can play the V sitting down completely comfortably. Oh, and for what it's worth, I'm 6 foot 3 and I play an LP and it feels almost perfect size-wise on me. But I s'pose it's all subjective...
take a look at gretsch electromatic solid bodies
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
I'd like to see you play the Original S design. Probably half the size of the current ones.

Anyways Ibanez Artists are pretty thick guitars. You might like it.
hmm, i've never encountered a solid body guitar which could match a 335 in size.
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
take a look at gretsch

GOOD idea
Quote by TJM2482
I like Explorer's, but Gibby's are a tad out of my range

hmm, yea. if i were you i'd just save another $400. that'll put u in shooting range for a Gibson Explorer. or you could buy it used...
Yeah, look at some hot-rodded Gretsches. I think Gibson used to make a solidbody guitar in the shape of a hollowbody. Can't remember the model, but it's discontinued.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Gibson Flying V
Gibson Explorer
Jackson V (not RR. They're slightly smaller)
DEAN or explorer
Gear:
Epiphone Les paul
silvertone smartt III

gear after:
Dean ML79 w/Floyd Electric Guitar
Transparent Braziliaburst

Member #21 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join
Is there any way to find a good explorer for around my range, or are the Epi's my best choice?
what the hell, how has only one person mentioned dean! TRY SOME DEANS! huge bodies, big headstocks, i personally love the action on most, there so comfortable, you can sit them on your lap 3 ways. there some of the best metal and hard rock guitars, seriously, check em out!
2nd member of the "Rock and Roll will never die but if it does,
I'm sure as hell going to bring it back
" hells yea!

PM Pedalboard to join!
I use Ibanez RG's and I'm a tall guy (6'5''). Actually, I've never found any guitar a problem because of my height o.O I use a Telecaster and they're pretty small scale and body wise.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Buy a razorback body on ebay and put the pickups, hardware, and neck of your current guitar you don't like into it (assuming neck pocket is same and wiring is set up)
I actually do have schizophrenia, so stop making fun of people who have it.

GEAR:
Boss ME-50
Silvertone Paul Stanley Apocalypse (modded)
Squier Affinity Strat (modded)
Italia Modulo 2
Fender Front 15G
Quote by TJM2482
Is there any way to find a good explorer for around my range, or are the Epi's my best choice?

Check out the Hamer Standards; a lot better than the Epiphone ones in my experience.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
Check out the Hamer Standards; a lot better than the Epiphone ones in my experience.

yeah, the hamers are awesome.
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
Quote by FacingUsAll

Hmmm, yes. Hadn't though of that. Try those out too.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by TJM2482
My teacher just got this: http://ibanez.com/hollow/guitar.aspx?m=JSM100

It looked AMAZING, and it was an awesome sized guitar for me. Are there any guitars like that, but solid body or good for some hi-gain stuff?

http://www.rondomusic.net/ad2800.html

looks like that. its like a gibson les paul double cut
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
6 feet tall? Hell, I'm that big and I really don't care about how big my guitar is. I'll play something small like a Mustang.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Quote by guitarnoize
I think I've found the perfect guitar for you

haha. i saw that coming.
maybe one ofthose yamha SG guitars, like santanas guitar, theyre similar shaped to an hollowbody shape, yet not to sure bout scales or anything as ive never tried one.
"Marty Friedman > You" Club.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Buy the toilet Hendrix crapped in for the full "Jimi Hendrix Experience"

PM me if you think my drummer looks like angry kid

so far 61 people think he looks like angry kid
Page 1 of 2