After my local music store has be unable to provide me with the Ampeg BA-115 that I had originally ordered I have gotten my money back and was planning on getting it from Musiciansfriend.com when I saw that it is backordered.

So I started looking around at bass amps and I stumbled across a blemished Ashdown MAG C115-300 for around $350, the same price as the Ampeg.

Should I wait for the Ampeg or get the Ashdown? And when it says 307 watts RMS what does it really get up to with just the head thats attached?

thanks.
Personally, I'd go for the Ampeg, but that's mainly because i've never actually played an ashdown. I played a larger Ampeg but I think it would be fair to say that you can probably still get the same wide range of tone that I did.

Try them out, see which one you prefer.
Currently attempting to learn: The Dissentience by Protest The Hero in it's entirety.
I really don't have the ability to try them out seeing how my crappy local music store is the only one close enough and the Ampeg is still on backorder and they require you to put money down before they order anything. Have I mentioned I had ordered the Ampeg in the beginning of June and it's STILL on backorder.
Ouch! There isn't a very good music shop for at least 45 minutes over here, but even the crap ones along the way could probably do a quicker backorder.

Maybe you should hop on a train and check out some amps in a bigger guitar shop, and then order online?

Try before you buy is the only way to go.
Currently attempting to learn: The Dissentience by Protest The Hero in it's entirety.
i can only speak from having a BA-115
but you should wait for it
it is a phenomenal amp that should provide more than enough power for any small-medium gig
again i don't know anything about the ashtown at all when it comes to even if it's a combo or a head+half stack and how many watts it has.

Ibanez Soundgear 300 DX
Digitech BP 80
Ibanez SW 20 / Ampeg BA 115
Squire Affinity Strat
Line 6 Spider IV 15
Quote by DiabloCoche
i can only speak from having a BA-115
but you should wait for it
it is a phenomenal amp that should provide more than enough power for any small-medium gig
again i don't know anything about the ashtown at all when it comes to even if it's a combo or a head+half stack and how many watts it has.

Then links i shall supply.
The Ashdown
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-MAG-C115300-Combo-Bass-Amp?sku=485032
and the Ampeg
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ampeg-BA115-Bass-Amp-Series-Combo?sku=481777
You should wait and see if Ashdown releases some new amps. Maybe they have 418W, or 203W, or maybe a 17.00009W combo.

Anyway, you get the full three-hundred and... *ahem*... seven watts throught a 4 ohm cab. That cab looks like it should get the full power. However, since the Ashdown is triple the power, it's hard not to want it, especially since they're both solid-state amps.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
You should wait and see if Ashdown releases some new amps. Maybe they have 418W, or 203W, or maybe a 17.00009W combo.

Anyway, you get the full three-hundred and... *ahem*... seven watts throught a 4 ohm cab. That cab looks like it should get the full power. However, since the Ashdown is triple the power, it's hard not to want it, especially since they're both solid-state amps.

Yeah the seven really seems like it's something to use as an arguing advantage, like "Oh your amp goes to 300 watts? Ours goes to 307. Yeah, that 7 more watts that you're hearing. Therefore you suck."

But I'm leaning towards the Ashdown for, as I'm told, they're both solid amps and I really think I should stand by the "get more than you need" idea.
Quote by thefitz

But then again, a review for the ampeg amp on the given links does say this:

"I am a drummer who plays a little bass on the side. I bought this amp for practice and jamming in the basement. I found myself as a last minute replacement to play bass in a 1000 seat auditorium. I plugged this baby's direct-out into the snake and rocked the house. I had 2 people come up after the show to look at my amp and decided to purchase one for themselves. My 1st Ampeg was a fliptop in the 70's. Ampeg still makes great quality for a great price."

I'm assuming he means it put out quite a bit of sound, and also I can't see you needing anymore than 100w is you are going to be playing small shows/venues.

I'm with the ampeg!
i would have to say the ampeg. I own one and it makes my ****ty bass actually sound good. It has a nice sound and also a built in tuner which makes tuning mad easy.
Quote by Metalcredge
But then again, a review for the ampeg amp on the given links does say this:

I'm assuming he means it put out quite a bit of sound, and also I can't see you needing anymore than 100w is you are going to be playing small shows/venues.

I'm with the ampeg!

Well, he didn't need an amp for that. He could have used a SansAmp or any other DI for the exact same effect.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
is they're like some sort of sound defining tone specific to either? I'm pretty sure Ampeg is known for the smooth, deep bass but I've never really come across anything for Ashdown. Is one more versitile than the other? I play 80's-ish metal (Iron Maiden, Guns N' Roses)
Quote by FullMetalBass
is they're like some sort of sound defining tone specific to either? I'm pretty sure Ampeg is known for the smooth, deep bass but I've never really come across anything for Ashdown. Is one more versitile than the other? I play 80's-ish metal (Iron Maiden, Guns N' Roses)

Top of the line Ampegs have a distinct tone, but the budget line solid state stuff doesn't really.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
So the way I'm thinking is that everyone that is telling me Ampeg is telling me from personal experience with only the Ampeg and they love it. But I am told by the fitz that they're of equal quality and neither have a distinct tone that would set it apart from one another. They have similar EQ choices so it comes down to the wattage, in which case Ashdown wins. Is they're anything I'm forgetting? Anyone who has personal experience with both/or the Ashdown?
Three for the Ampeg, one for the Ashdown (i'm counting indianrockstar's as Ashdown even though he said he was an Ampeg man, the wattage won.) and I'm not sure where the fitz stands.
*EDIT*
But one of the Ampeg people haven't explained their reasons so I put it at 2 to 1. (I'm kinda leaning towards the Ashdown, that's why I'm being so precise about it.)
Last edited by FullMetalBass at Sep 11, 2007,
I say Ashdown for the reasons you said: you're getting similar EQ's and a solid state power amp driving a 15" speaker. The main difference is that the Ashdown has over three times the power I'd compete with 75-100W guitars, while the 100W would compete with 30-40W guitars.

But, like the guy said, you can use the DI out and it won't matter. But if you're going to do that, why get an amp and not just a DI?

EDIT: The fact that they're around the same price because one is blemished and therefore cheaper should set off some alarms. Both amps were made in China.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Ok so it's 2 to 2 and no I don't plan on using a DI. I'm lookin' for the tie breaker that can give me an exellent reason to get the Ampeg or I'm going with the Ashdown.
I'd get the Ashdown due to both the vast power advantage it has, and the fact that Ashdown make fantastic gear. I'd check out exactly what is "blemished" though. If it's just aesthetic, definately go for it.

Ampeg in this price range are vastly overrated and overpriced due to the good reputation of their higher end gear. Ampeg are a good company, but a good name does not automatically equal good gear. While the BA-115 is a nice amp... I personally feel it doesn't offer enough to justify selling a 100w combo for as much as competitors 300w combo's/half stacks.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
I sent a message to Musiciansfriend asking about the blemish. Depending on the what the blemish is I'll probably go with the Ashdown.
ya'll know i'm an Ampeg backer, but in this situation(back-order hell), i would probably get the Ashdown. they have a pretty solid reputation, and it's available now. the specs looked good, my only concern is the cabinet looks "thin". heavy cabs make more low-end, but 300ish watts into a 15" should punch fairly well.
i vote Ashdown. this One time. doh!
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
ya'll know i'm an Ampeg backer, but in this situation(back-order hell), i would probably get the Ashdown. they have a pretty solid reputation, and it's available now. the specs looked good, my only concern is the cabinet looks "thin". heavy cabs make more low-end, but 300ish watts into a 15" should punch fairly well.
i vote Ashdown. this One time. doh!

Just one little nibble, said the serpent. They all crack eventually
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
I have tried both these amps out and definitely preferred the Ashdown. You can get a great range of tones from it and having all that extra power in reserve is a plus. Like 83LPS said, the cabinets are a little thin but it's hardly flimsy and it's still a great sounding amp.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Musicians Friend said that the blemishes are just nicks and scratches and stuff and says that the Ashdown will work like new. So I'm going with the Ashdown. Thanks for the help. And thanks for the last push over the fence indie-bassist.
About the thin cab: In my humble opinion, I think that might be a feature for reducing weight, as opposed to cutting corners to save money.
Quote by Cody_Grey102