Quote by chitowncowboy
I'm doing a research paper on heavy metal. I was figuring this would be the best place to ask for some help. I was wondering what books would be good reads on the subject (Hammer of The Gods is a given I suppose), as well as any ideas, good articles, stuff like that.

The focus will be on the evolution of the genre, from it's roots in the 60's to today, the major players, it's impact on popular culture/music, how well it reflected the times, etc.

PS: It has to be 12 pages SINGLE ****ING SPACED. Not really relevant but it pissed me off so I thought I'd share.

I posted this in the pit, forgot we had a metal forum. Sorry =(
12 pages?
where do you go?

search metal encyclopedia on google btw
Quote by metul kult
You know when Attack Attack is ripping off your music, you're onto something

twitter: @victorstaygold
well, a GREAT place to start, and should be a major help to you, is a movie made by metalhead/anthopologist Sam Dunn
the movie is called Metal: A Headbangers Journey
it's a documentry about metal, and is basically your paper in movie form, so sit back, have a few laughs, and enjoy it, then watch it and take some notes
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
i dont wanna hear schit anout mentioning metallica, but "Some Kind of Monster" the book is pretty informative

if you dont like metallica, eat a dicke
ooooooooh ah ah ah ah
Quote by ChaoticVengence
well, a GREAT place to start, and should be a major help to you, is a movie made by metalhead/anthopologist Sam Dunn
the movie is called Metal: A Headbangers Journey
it's a documentry about metal, and is basically your paper in movie form, so sit back, have a few laughs, and enjoy it, then watch it and take some notes

eh completely slipped my mind
SPINAL TAP!

great insight for you on how bands work that could [possibly] help your paper
if not they were very important to heavy metal in 1983 lol
I was gonna incorporate Spinal Tap. It would have fell under the 'influenced other aspects of popular culture' thing.

I'll check that other movie out.
Awww, I'm sick of these threads, seriously lmao. There always here. Anyways, are you doing a research on just rock or metal... and if it's covering all said topics, you won't have a problem filling out those 12 pages. Theres so much to write about, I'd start by explaining the genres, starting from the 60's, and work your way up through the decades adding genres and bands that were the most popular at the time and in that specified genre. As for getting your information, I can't help you that much. All I can say is google 19??'s black metal leads for example.
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero
Theres more of us it wont be long before we you over the world and you can burn all the churchs you want

I'm MAD about Black Metal. Ask me about Church Burnings.
dwell in early death metal and black metal. Nobody ever talks extensively about that era. Bathory, Sodom, Mercyful Fate, Death, Possessed, Venom. Talk about them. Be VERY,VERY, brief about hair metal and don't even mention Nu-Metal
why skip over nu-metal? its big in todays society [unfortunately]
and hair metal was huge [not just the hair too]
but yes a good time should be spent in the death/black metal genre
also be sure youve got speed metal and neo-classical metal [shred]
Quote by metul kult
You know when Attack Attack is ripping off your music, you're onto something

twitter: @victorstaygold
if it was me i'd take my favourite band or genre of metal and explain how metal evolved into that band and how that particular band influences other bands.

i.e, if I were to take In Flames/Gothenburg metal i'd start with early hard rock and blues that was a big part of forming the later metal sounds (think maiden etc) probs talk a bit about the influence of zeppelin, talk ALOT about the influence of Tony Iommi and Black sabbath, quote Iommi: "I wanted to write music that would scare people, you watch films and read books that would scare you, why not listen to music that scares you?"

move on to NWOBHM, mainly talk about Maiden, then move on to thrash/speed metal where you get to talk about 'the four horsemen of the apocalypse: Slayer- War, Megadeth- Death, Anthrax- Pestilence, and Metallica- famine' (thats bollocks really but i like how the names sync up)

and now i realise i can't be arsed going on with sepultura/machine head/fear factory and all that, but eventually u get 2 gothenburg metal, then u can say how they've influenced more modern bands who have ripped the piss out of their legacy for the most part (think trivium and a7x)
i did a three minute speech on metal once

some things i mentioned: Metal and it's subgenres,(describe the different genres with great detail, providing example bands and innovations)

Metal's common misconceptions (OMG HE LISTEN"S TO BODOM>>> WHAT AN EMO!!!111!)

Metal's effect on current society and other forms of music(Metal t-shirts, moshing, "Nu" Metal, Metalcore)

and yes the sam dunn documentary is SOOOO amazingly helpful
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

Perhaps because it's not metal? If he mentions it he should mention how people think it is, but they are mistaken.
If you see me in the pit, know that I'm only there because the metal forum is moving slowly.
Quote by Sn^ke

i think nebarskan is a cool guy, eh wears a nile and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote by stanleybach
Aren't you proud to wear that Nile? You don't afraid of anything man!
check out the sabbath reunion dvd (dunno what its called but it was recorded about 10 years i think), Tony Iommi explains why he wrote music the way he did. although very small, it may also not be relevant
Make sure you post the assignment when your done, so we can help fix things up for ya if you need it.
.(....\................/....)
. \....\............. /..../
...\....\.........../..../
....\..../´¯.l.¯`\..../
..../... l....l....(¯ `\
...l......l....l.....\....\
...l......l´¯.l´¯.l \....\
...\......` ¯..¯ ´......?
....\__________.?
Quote by GuitarSacrifice
Make sure you post the assignment when your done, so we can help fix things up for ya if you need it.

Scrutiny from superior metalheads ftw.
Encyclopedia Metallum (Watch out, there's more elitism than on UG)
Wikipedia
Heavy: The History of Metal (Far more informative than a Headbanger's Journey)

I did that in 9th grade and those 3 helped alot.
Dickless.
Quote by MetalMilitia212
Encyclopedia Metallum (Watch out, there's more elitism than on UG)

Yeah, that forum is terrible.

The Metal-Rules forum is so much better.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

because nu metal is so pathtic of a genre its not even worth mentioning.
Quote by Karl Sanders
its like a four finger, diminished thingy
http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Beast-Complete-Headbanging-History/dp/006052362X

I think this book is exactly what you're looking for, it basically covers everything you need to know about the roots of metal and heavy rock.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.