Ok so now I have a problem....first one. Don't know if I should just go ahead and adjust the action or what.

When I press down on the 11th fret on the high E string it touches slightly on the 12th fret. Same thing happens on the 12th fret on the B string. I'm not sure if it happens on any other strings. Not sure if I should just adjust the action myself or take it into a guitar tech. Comments?
raise the action a little. playing with an amp and distortion a LITTLE string buzz wont matter.

take it to a tech if you feel the need, but you really should be able to do it yourself.
Do not under any circumstances try to adjust the action yourself.

If you think it's really necessary then take it in to a shop, but unless it changes the sound of what you're playing, and you are sure it isn't something you're doing wrong, then it might not be that big of a deal.

My Guitars:
Fender Mustang.
Yamaha FG-413SL.
Quote by screamsoftly
Do not under any circumstances try to adjust the action yourself.

If you think it's really necessary then take it in to a shop, but unless it changes the sound of what you're playing, and you are sure it isn't something you're doing wrong, then it might not be that big of a deal.

ive never met anyone that couldnt use an allen key under the direction of a simple internet guide, but just to be safe, youre right....

my apologies to the thread starter.....

if the thread starter should feel the need to endeavor in such a risky adventure, you will only need to raise the desired saddle a little bit, then retune the string in question.....
Quote by blind nate
ive never met anyone that couldnt use an allen key under the direction of a simple internet guide, but just to be safe, youre right....

if the thread starter should feel the need to endeavor in such a risky adventure, you will only need to raise the desired saddle a little bit, then retune the string in question.....

Changing action is easy, BUT, I recommend taking it to a guitar store that can show you how first. That's how I learned to string a guitar, ha. (Kinda contradicts my sig a bit haha)
Words to live by: Haters gonna' hate.
Quote by blind nate

Depending on the guitar it can be a little more complicated than just turning a screw. And it's better to be safe than sorry.

My Guitars:
Fender Mustang.
Yamaha FG-413SL.
for a strat style guitar, just turn the pegs on the saddle fronts, like said. use a tiny allen wrench.

for a TOM fixed bridge, you would detune a small bit, then loosen the screws on the Bridge post, this will let u adjust the height by turning the thumbscrews. they are pointed to by red arrows. then u tighten it all up and retune again.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
im just saying with the guide of the internet and a little bit of desire to learn just about anyone can do it.

and i did also half-recommend letting a pro do it in my first post.
I'll go with let a pro show you how, then take it from there. A basic setup is not difficult, and I think every guitar player should learn to do his/her own setups. Just leave the truss rod alone, let a pro handle that when necessary, until you really know what you're doing.

You'll need to:

Raise (or lower, depending on situation) the strings at the bridge so that they don't buzz against other frets and it's comfortable to play.

Make sure the arch of the bridge is close to the radius of the neck. Strats have individually adjustable saddles you have to watch that. Tune O Matic bridges are preset to the right radius.

Check the intonation and reset if necessary.

Check nut slot depth if it's hard to fret open chords and/or you pull it out of tune playing open chords. That's done by fretting the 3rd fret and checking clearance at the 1st or 2nd fret with a feeler gauge. I think the range to look for is .008-.012, I'm not sure and haven't found the reference I dug up a while back. I know .015 is on the high side, my Takamine was hard to play at that height, I had it done and brought it down to .009 and it plays a lot better, keeps in tune better on open chords too.

You might also take a look at your frets and make sure they don't have serious grooves under each string from years of playing, especially the smaller 3 strings. That makes you pull the string down further, invites intonation problems, and lets the string buzz against the next fret up. If your frets have serious grooves, either learn how to properly level and crown them or take it to a pro. It's tedious, but doable.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
would be cheaper to pay the pro to do it ,then pay a pro to repair the damage you might cause .

(unless you have done it before and sure how to do it now)
i guess, if u were completely unable to turn a peg.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
would be cheaper to pay the pro to do it ,then pay a pro to repair the damage you might cause

I doubt if you would cause much damage just doing a simple setup, it's pretty straight forward adjustments, and can't cause any serious damage, unlike the truss rod, which is really easy to break if you're not very careful with it. If filing the nut slots is necessary, yes, take that to a shop. They must be filed at a slight angle, not flat, and can't be too wide, which would let the strings rattle and buzz. If the angle is not there it creates a buzz that's difficult to locate, mostly because you never think of it. And if you mess up a nut, it's a $6 - 8 part and maybe $30 to have it replaced. (note that I DO NOT recommend filing nut slots yourself) You don't even want to think about the price of a truss rod replacement...

I stick to my earlier suggestion, have a pro show you how to set the action, so you know the proper methods, and learn to do it yourself, that's one thing every guitar player should learn to do. Usually it's fairly minor adjustments, bridge height and intonation.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...