I decided I would come to the beloved bass forum for some of the aforementioned - Inspiration and Motivation. Recently, I wasn't able to muster it up to play bass, or bother to learn anything new. I found myself looking at tabs and then thinking, "Who am I kidding? I can't play this!"

All the same, i was playing the other day (just so i didn't feel like I was neglecting it completely) and i noticed my strap was quite annoying, so i took it off.

The next day I got up, and I sat down and started to learn two songs which I thought i couldn't play. (The Analog Kid and Digital Man by Rush)

What do you think, Could my guitar strap possibly be cursed?

And also to make this thread passable, where do you go when you want some inspiration to play or write?
Currently attempting to learn: The Dissentience by Protest The Hero in it's entirety.
Last edited by Metalcredge at Sep 11, 2007,
I watch countless videos of bassists who I respect and love playing their music. Steve Harris and Geddy Lee being the two main ones.
Quote by FullMetalBass
I watch countless videos of bassists who I respect and love playing their music. Steve Harris and Geddy Lee being the two main ones.

It's great seeing people play and picking up aspects of their style etc through just watching them. I can't wait to see Geddy live on the 5th October, i'm hoping he blows me away
Currently attempting to learn: The Dissentience by Protest The Hero in it's entirety.
Lucky you man. My friend told me they were coming to the States but he said they were hella expensive and I simply do not have the/any money. I'm sure he'll be awesome.
I'm pretty sure Rush have another few albums in them. You shall go to the ball FullMetalBass!
I think that in order to determine whether or not your strap is cursed, you will need at least one other strap, at least two basses, and at least two amps. You will have to run an experiment and try all possible combinations and record your data and compare. It could turn out that your bass is actually cursed, but the curse only takes effect when using a strap.

Anyways.

Watching videos of your favorites is always great. Especially if you haven't watched/listened to any of their work lately. One time I hadn't listened to The Who for quite some time, and then I watched a few of Entwistle's performances on YouTube, and I went on my own bass playing/progression rampage.
Quote by Evil_Jim43
Geekis, you are truly the Ghandi of our time

Quote by thefitz
Man, I really have to stop sigging you...

My blog:
http://david-hates.blogspot.com/
I'm tempted to stick on the vegas job DVD of The Who and watch the 5:15 bass solo. So glorious!
never hurts to just set up a drum beat and go to town.

however, strap wise.... try adjusting your strap so you bass stays in the same position when you are sitting vs. standing

it might be really awkward at first because it's so high, but just go with it and low it as necessary

Ibanez Soundgear 300 DX
Digitech BP 80
Ibanez SW 20 / Ampeg BA 115
Squire Affinity Strat
Line 6 Spider IV 15
I've had the strap for like a year, and i was pretty sure I had it at a comfortable height for both standing and sitting. I think I might need to buy a new one and do some rituals on it before i use it, ya know, to make it righteous and what not.
Quote by Metalcredge
I'm tempted to stick on the vegas job DVD of The Who and watch the 5:15 bass solo. So glorious!

Umm... a certain sexpot named Lummond put that solo on youtube.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oW9azvZbVlU

If I were you, I'd send him $100000.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Umm... a certain sexpot named Lummond put that solo on youtube.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oW9azvZbVlU

If I were you, I'd send him $100000.

*Watches*

*Doesn't send $100000*

Rockin'
Currently its the thump-off near the end of the Clarke/Miller/Wooten Jam vid for me. It really inspired me to practice mah slapz.
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
You know, Im having this same problem. Ive watched/listened to my favorite bassist, and I still cant seem to get motivated... Maybe I need to kick my band members in the ass and tell them to stop getting stoned and make some new songs...

Oh and with the strap, maybe your like me and cant stand having the strap on while sitting fo some reason.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
well if you want a video to give you some inspiration watch the master sessions of flea it shows some cool **** on those vids or watch a little of cliff burton cuz they both ****ing rule
Quote by DiabloCoche
never hurts to just set up a drum beat and go to town.

Definitely, i find this by far the best thing to do, (you could even try asking a drummer to play a drum beat for you, although that can often cause problems)
'Member of the official Biffy Clyro Fanclub. PM onlyonehere to join'
i just smoke some pot. always gets me inspired. and if thats not for you try just jamming or something thats completly on your talent...not someone elses
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Quote by bassman10101
i just smoke some pot. always gets me inspired. and if thats not for you try just jamming or something thats completly on your talent...not someone elses

Christ, are all your posts about pot/inspired by pot?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
It seems that way. Although I still wonder how someone can actually believe they can play better while impaired in some way. Boggles the mind really. I mean sure a beer before a gig to calm your nerves but a joint?!
my inspiration is mostly from other music, of several different forms, sometimes the basslines are kinda bad and I try to improve on them, other times I may make a new song entirely, or others I may just not be motivated at all. mostly when I haven't heard a good piece in a while and I listen to something awesome is my highest point of inspiration.
Member of the "Shoop Da Woop" club, PM to Join
Hmm, well I don't smoke pot because I'm not a cool kid, but I mean a beer before a gig calms you, and i'm sure a joint probably makes you think your awesomer than you actually are.
Quote by Metalcredge
Hmm, well I don't smoke pot because I'm not a cool kid, but I mean a beer before a gig calms you, and i'm sure a joint probably makes you think your awesomer than you actually are.

I know if pounded down a 6-pack before the show I'd get into a super self confident mode, but you know what? I don't want to run the risk of making mistakes or, most importantly, sound like I'm drunk. But, for what it's worth, being drunk and still being able to play is one of the best feelings going.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
How low do you have your strap? It's easier to play sitting down, but especially if your bass is at your knees when you stand.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by thefitz
I know if pounded down a 6-pack before the show I'd get into a super self confident mode, but you know what? I don't want to run the risk of making mistakes or, most importantly, sound like I'm drunk. But, for what it's worth, being drunk and still being able to play is one of the best feelings going.

Totally, before a gig I just warmup a little and take a shot of whisky. Makes me indestructible.
On the flip side, I've playd gigs where I've been practically carried on stage and had my bass strapped to me and it's the worst feeling in the world, even if I've nailed it.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
haha playing high and being great while doing it IS in fact the greatest. especially if your playing to other high people cause they get it better. not for everyone i suppose ive seen some kids take a hit and suck major ass haha. as far as inspiration goes for playint home or with some friends, pot is prolly the best thing. other than that i listen to like the gratful dead or phish, and that usually gets the creative juices flowing
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Quote by bassman10101
haha playing high and being great while doing it IS in fact the greatest. especially if your playing to other high people cause they get it better. not for everyone i suppose ive seen some kids take a hit and suck major ass haha. as far as inspiration goes for playint home or with some friends, pot is prolly the best thing. other than that i listen to like the gratful dead or phish, and that usually gets the creative juices flowing

No offense, but you just personified, oh, 4 or 5 stoner stereotypes with that post. All you need is long hair and a Led Zeppelin t-shirt with the old man on it and you're set. Hell, the reason I don't smoke weed is so I never do that. But I'm a drinker, so what the hell do I know?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
No offense, but you just personified, oh, 4 or 5 stoner stereotypes with that post. All you need is long hair and a Led Zeppelin t-shirt with the old man on it and you're set. Hell, the reason I don't smoke weed is so I never do that. But I'm a drinker, so what the hell do I know?

haha i recently cut my hair....but im wearing my zeppelin shirt right now hahaha i have like 100 more
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
The hell... Am I the only boring one here? I dont do anything... I mean Ive drank a few times, but it is funnier to watch drunk/stoned people. No offence to all of you that do either/both, but holy sh!t its funny.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500

-Bass Militia- \m/
Quote by thefitz

Quote by silentdob
The hell... Am I the only boring one here? I dont do anything... I mean Ive drank a few times, but it is funnier to watch drunk/stoned people. No offence to all of you that do either/both, but holy sh!t its funny.

+1
Quote by silentdob

I'm with you. I'm the sober member of my band, and it's hilarious when one of the other guys gets trashed.

Of course, if they ever do it before or during a show, they're fucking out.
Quote by Evil_Jim43
Geekis, you are truly the Ghandi of our time

Quote by thefitz
Man, I really have to stop sigging you...

My blog:
http://david-hates.blogspot.com/
Quote by sammcl-15
How low do you have your strap? It's easier to play sitting down, but especially if your bass is at your knees when you stand.

What? Why would i wear my bass at my knees? I'm not a midget/don't want a back problem thank you very much.
Dir En Greys bassist wears his bass at his knees/shins... Then again, they are Japanese metal...
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500

-Bass Militia- \m/
Quote by silentdob
Dir En Greys bassist wears his bass at his knees/shins... Then again, they are Japanese metal...

Well, I have an average arm length and need the bass within reach without hurting myself. Then again, they are Japanese metal...
First off, drugs and booze are not inspiration. They are procrastination. Ever noticed how that "totally awesome" riff or lick you played when you were high/hammered sounded like crap when you played it sober? Thats because it was always crap to begin with, but you were too baked to notice.

Im not trying to preach to you guys, but its a hindrance and an addiction more than its fun. I went through my teenage stoner phase, and didnt really learn much on bass the first time round. I like to drink as well, but never rehearse with my band drunk. Its much better when you are all clear, the ideas flow much easier.

As more inspiration, I'd say my lead guitarist is mine for those times when im lazy/discouraged. Playing with him and writing songs is heaps of fun, and he's always learning more theory and techniques which pushes me to learn more too.

Playing with other people is rad...Its a lot better than playing with yourself.
Quote by to_the_grave
First off, drugs and booze are not inspiration. They are procrastination. Ever noticed how that "totally awesome" riff or lick you played when you were high/hammered sounded like crap when you played it sober? Thats because it was always crap to begin with, but you were too baked to notice.

Im not trying to preach to you guys, but its a hindrance and an addiction more than its fun. I went through my teenage stoner phase, and didnt really learn much on bass the first time round. I like to drink as well, but never rehearse with my band drunk. Its much better when you are all clear, the ideas flow much easier.

As more inspiration, I'd say my lead guitarist is mine for those times when im lazy/discouraged. Playing with him and writing songs is heaps of fun, and he's always learning more theory and techniques which pushes me to learn more too.

Playing with other people is rad...Its a lot better than playing with yourself.

The main riff to Schism was composed while high