Page 1 of 2
Yup. It's true! All the horror stories we hear about PayPal are seemingly true. I'm just the normal guy, who like many of you, said: "paypal never screwed me, there must be something wrong with his story! That'll NEVER happen to me".

Well, it happen to me. Cost me over $2188! My account is frozen and they tried to take money from my Bank account. Lucky for me, my bank stepped in and took back those funds.

As of right now, my paypal account is in the negative and they keep trying to get me to send them a check before they fix my account. WTF!!!!

I joined a No PayPal website (never had interest in those sites before) and I am learning that this is happening to THOUSANDS of people.

Be careful guys... you're next!
"I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal.
But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existence either.
"
-Maynard

| |
whoa!!! good job ur bank! saved u $2k!!!
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Did you buy something with it and they just got the amount wrong by about 2 grand, or did it just happen randomly?
ur bank kicks a**
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Quote by Derek <3's You!
Lets ****ing riot.

Load yer' shotguns.
Sig space for rent.
$100 obo
Message for negotiaton.
I'd be out more than $2k if my bank didn't step in.

And I didn't put that much money into my account. I sold stuff using paypal. I transferred money to my checking from paypal. PayPal intercepted those funds before they cleared my account.

Not only that.... I purchased an amp in August, Paid via PayPal... PayPal seized his paypal account today. WTF????? That deal is long over.

Even if you sell something, you're not safe!!! They can go into your account and swipe funds from you weeks after you shipped the item.

I'm just saying... be careful folks. PayPal is above the law!
"
-Maynard

| |
yeah...my old friends got negative $6,500+ dollars in his. They keep pestering my email account 'cos I let him use it for the whole thing. Stick to postal money orders and the like so you don't get screwed.
Quote by nic_2090
What ever happened to sticks and stones....?

Quote by Maet
The Niggers took them all to build their crappy huts in africa and Detroit...

Too much?
Last edited by I_am_spartacus at Sep 11, 2007,
Hence why I really distrust PayPal. My account stays at pennies level unless I'm buying something and can't pay any other way. Sucks for you, but I hope you learned your lesson.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Never had a problem, don't plan on it either.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
imo got hacked! Also anything on the internet isnt fully safe! People will find ways so!
Quote by MrSandMan
Yup. It's true! All the horror stories we hear about PayPal are seemingly true. I'm just the normal guy, who like many of you, said: "paypal never screwed me, there must be something wrong with his story! That'll NEVER happen to me".

Well, it happen to me. Cost me over $2188! My account is frozen and they tried to take money from my Bank account. Lucky for me, my bank stepped in and took back those funds.

As of right now, my paypal account is in the negative and they keep trying to get me to send them a check before they fix my account. WTF!!!!

I joined a No PayPal website (never had interest in those sites before) and I am learning that this is happening to THOUSANDS of people.

Be careful guys... you're next!

What bank are you with?
Yes, they deserved to die and I hope they burn in hell!
In the rays of the sun I'am longing for the darkness
Funny Canadians : Brandon860, Bodom & Scourge
Leader of the I boobs club
Quote by penguin-pirate
Load yer' shotguns.

we're goin to town!
Quote by rockybo
I'm making an igloo in my backyard later and smoking a bong in it.
Umm you fell for the phishing email some one sent you. My teacher warned us about this exact thing happening. Some thief sends you an email saying its from paypal and you got something for $2,000 dollars and you click it, BAM they have your paypal account, sucks for you.
OWNED

damn taht sucks. high five to ur bank tho
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
Quote by VivaLaJam
Don't put that much money in a Paypal account

Honestly.

You should only ever have money in your paypal account when you are about to buy something. It's common sense.
Quote by Caustic
Hence why I really distrust PayPal. My account stays at pennies level unless I'm buying something and can't pay any other way. Sucks for you, but I hope you learned your lesson.

See this is a misconception a lot of people have. They think if they don't have funds in your account, then you're safe. That's the farthest thing from the truth!

Paypal has your funding sources on record.. they'll find their way into these sources. If you somehow suspect that paypal is going to screw you and you do manage to block your accounts from paypal (which is unlikely) they'll put your paypal account into the negative and send collections after you.

..And if you think you can open a new account with a different checking account, and everything will be okay. Think again. They'll swipe in on that account too.

Like some people have TWO paypal accounts (which is completely ok). You can have a personal and merchant account. They'll swipe into all your accounts!

So having a "few pennies in your account" doesn't make it "safe" .

The only way to be "TRUELY" safe, is to CANCEL all your information and paypal account. Make sure they are CLOSED! and go back to the old fashioned way of paying (ie bank wire transfers or money orders)

Then you will be safe(r).
"
-Maynard

| |
okay, I just read many of your the other posts in this thread... it appears that there are A LOT of unaware people on these forums in regards to paypal scams.

I'd suggest that you guys take a moment and read some of these paypal forums and LEARN some of their scams!

"ASSUMING" my situation was an error on my behalf is a very UNWISE assumption!
"
-Maynard

| |
This is like someone who is involved in a car crash and then never wants to drive again.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
Quote by Kulvin
Umm you fell for the phishing email some one sent you. My teacher warned us about this exact thing happening. Some thief sends you an email saying its from paypal and you got something for $2,000 dollars and you click it, BAM they have your paypal account, sucks for you.

^^^ Unwise assumption. I'd suggest this poster read up on some of the classic PayPal scams.

Quote by adubs
Honestly.

You should only ever have money in your paypal account when you are about to buy something. It's common sense.

^^^ Another unwise assumption. I sold stuff... transferred funds to my checking account. Before the funds cleared or even showed up to my bank, PayPal seized the transfer and it's now frozen.

I'd suggest you guys understand how ruthless of a cooperate company we're dealing with, rather than putting blame on the victim.

It's scary if you don't want to educate yourselves!!!
"
-Maynard

| |
Wow dude, stay loyal to that bank. They kick ass. I don't ever use paypal, or eBay at that. Welllll very occasionally I do, but I buy things with money orders. I do use secure online payment though. Amazon.com and money orders ftw!
Quote by Garret.
Depends on how furiously I'm masturbating

Quote by metacarpi
I get paid on the 25th.

Is a bag full of pennies an acceptable method of payment?

The bag will of course, have SWAG written on it

Wynaut of the Pokemon club.
I still don't get it.

Did you at least contact Pay-Pal and ask them why you owe them $2000?
Quote by Metalology
This is like someone who is involved in a car crash and then never wants to drive again.

Or atleast never wanting to "drive" the car that created this horrible car crash.

Move on to a different car and more reliable car that hasn't been crashed by thousands of innocent drivers.
"
-Maynard

| |
Paypal screw'd me out of $2188.00

This is what happens when you learn spelling from Ashton Kutcher
Quote by Metal claw
I still don't get it.

Did you at least contact Pay-Pal and ask them why you owe them $2000?

Contacting an agent is difficult.. but when I do, I get the run around not giving me a straight answer.

All they want from me is to send money to put my account in the positive. After they just screwed me out of $2188 and another guy (who I sent funds to) out of $975.

I bank with Huntington. My fiance is an employee there. She deals with PayPal's scams everyday.

PayPal is notorious for freezing funds without notice. A couple were in there yesterday trying to sort out a case where paypal went into their account, took all their money.. and when they're automatic debit for house payment hit them, it came back because they paypal overtook their checking account.

I can find you more horror stories to make my case look like a walk in the park if any wishes.
"
-Maynard

| |
Quote by penguin-pirate
Load yer' shotguns.

I've been waiting, loaded and all!
Currently attempting to learn: The Dissentience by Protest The Hero in it's entirety.
Here is a good read

You tell that to the single mother of three who was a firefighter and tried to make money selling on eBay for her kids. Because she had just opened a new account and sold some expensive products and then tried to withdraw some of the money for rent and baby formula caused Paypal's "Automated Anti-Fraud Detection" software to freeze her account and send an automated email to her buyers telling them that she was under suspicion of fraud. The problem here was that her buyers were Police officers. You can imagine what happened. One cop called another buddy cop and she was arrested and charged with "Felony Internet Fraud". She spent time in Jail until she was able to pay the $5,000 bond. She was fired from her job and her husband used that in a custody dispute to accusing her of being unfit. The cop who got her arrested sent her an email telling her, something like I hope that taught you a lesson not to defraud me. Here is the kicker. The product the cop bought was shipped one day after the eBay auction closed and she has tracking numbers and proof she paid the drop-shipper. Plus, the cop acknowledged receipt of the product. It was Paypal's email that made that cop think she was a fraudster and why I lost a contract when my business associate thought I was a fraudster. BUT FOR PAYPAL'S ACTIONS, THIS WOMAN WAS ARRESTED.

This is in addition to the many eBay sellers who got caught in Paypal's "Catch 22" situation. Because Paypal's "Automated Fraud Detection" software works by identifying "BEHAVIORS" of fraudsters, many innocent Paypal members are having their accounts frozen and an automated email sent to their buyers that they are under investigation for fraud. The buyrs become fearful and starting filing claims with Paypal for reimbursement and some call their credit card companies for a charge back. During this time, Paypal is asking the member of the frozen account to supply them with additional verification. When the member provides Paypal with the additional verification and requests that their account be unfrozen, Paypal now tells them that they have to wait 180 Days because claims for refunds are coming in and they have to secure their position if they have to reverse payments. Because of Paypal's own conduct, these eBay buyers have initiated these claims, which the member now has to suffer from. THIS IS THE "CATCH 22" SITUATION THAT PAYPAL HAS BEEN PUTTING THEIR MEMBERS IN.

Many fraudsters engage in BEHAVIOR that is similar to legal transactions. For example, opening an account, selling a product on eBay then transferring the money to their bank accounts. This doesn't make for a fraudster or a crime; but Paypal's "Anti-Fraud Detection" software can't distinguish between a legal and illegal transaction, the software can only identify "BEHAVIOR". And this is why so many innocent people are getting their accounts frozen.
"
-Maynard

| |
Quote by VivaLaJam
Don't put that much money in a Paypal account

same here
i just dont trust ebay or paypal with anything over $500 and if I dont have the money to make up for a trade that goes bad like this then i just wont deal with it at all.

just be happy your bank stepped in and stopped a second loss of money.
I would get on the phone with them ASAP and see what happened and all that.

Ebay took my account away for a year before fixing it because I didnt send in a piece of paper they requested but they sent it to my gmail email and so I though it was a fake...it looked iffy.

but i ended up having to send in a bunch of info and got my account reactivated after that year of complaining to them over email and phone calls.

it was on the news a few years ago...paypal just doesnt know what they are doing.............
I haven't been convinced of anything. Just because a few people on the internet tell me not to do something, doesn't mean I'm going to listen. I have never had any problems.

And why would you have money in your PayPal account if you're going to buy something ? There's no need, you just transfer the money straight from your card via Paypal.
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by sargasm

haha
Quote by sargasm

LOL
Quote by fridge_raider
I haven't been convinced of anything. Just because a few people on the internet tell me not to do something, doesn't mean I'm going to listen. I have never had any problems.

Well then, I really do wish you better luck than all us papal victims!

And why would you have money in your PayPal account if you're going to buy something ? There's no need, you just transfer the money straight from your card via Paypal.

If you don't feel like reading the posts to which I relentlessly explained several times over and over again, then I don't feel like re-writing what has already been written, and very readable.
"
-Maynard

| |
why wouldnt you just create seperate bank account with just enough money for the paypal? a little more paperwork, but id assume its much safer than sending cheques in the mail and ****.
For all the guys that scammed, did you get an e mail saying that Paypal had a trouble maintenence and needed you to click a link of some sort and enter pass/user ?
Page 1 of 2