Ahh I'm an acoustic newb. This was such a newb question, I had to ask it in here.

Anyways. I play electric guitar and I obviously alternate pick, and I rest my wrist on the bridge (I usually palm mute). Is this ok to rest on the acoustic bridge? I'm not muting any strings but it's much easier to pick faster.
you can do it, if you like the sound of it, obviously it wont have the clarity, and the higher strings prob wont come out much...so def practice without it
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Yes, although you may want to try just resting your pinky under the high e so you can pick a little closer to the sound hole (instead of resting your wrist on the bridge).
Ah! The misinformation in this thread is appalling!

TS, don't rest your palm on the bridge on either electric or acoustic, that's called anchoring, and it's bad. As for the pinky, that's even worse. Your hand must be fully floating in relation to the guitar.

Read

And in future, post all of your acoustic related questions in the acoustic forum, and we'll be glad to answer them
Quote by confusius

TS, don't rest your palm on the bridge on either electric or acoustic, that's called anchoring, and it's bad. As for the pinky, that's even worse. Your hand must be fully floating in relation to the guitar.

Read

And in future, post all of your acoustic related questions in the acoustic forum, and we'll be glad to answer them

I don't play much lead, but have been playin rhythm for about 4 years...so youre saying that even if you want to palm mute some notes, u still dont rest it and just keep the hand free?
Well, for palm muting you do need to, but otherwise it should be floating. Especially when doing any picking, string skipping, because it gives you much more arm freedom and takes off a lot of tension.
thanks, then I agree with you, although im still not very good at it lol
Oh yeah, at first it's really really tough, but you will see that you will get to your old speed really quickly and start going faster soon.
Its very hard to be fluid if you anchor on the bridge, especially since there is so much more texture you can get out of your guitar by where you actually pick the string. I would say you'll become a much better acoustic player if you allow your hand to be fluid.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
^-- and a better electric player as well! anchoring makes it easier to get things at first... but it only hinders you the better you get. lots of players do anchor... hell i anchor with my pinky sometimes myself (guilty )... but you really shouldn't!
i looked into this problem, i found that tommy emmanuel doesnt do it serverly but he does ocasionally anchor the pinky or at least its touching the guitar body frequently is this considered anchoring? And andy mckee does it asweel, i read or heard somewhere that andy does it, he still gets a bloody decent sound, so maybe its something that you can still manage?

I dont do it when i play fingerstyle but unfortunately i do it alot picking style, i will look into it and see if its fixable otherwise i will just continue to do it i dont think it has crippled me!
I don't really understand why people have such a huge problem with anchoring. I think it depends on what you play. But I don't just anchor my pinky, I rest the hole blade of my hand against the saddle. It doesn't restict me at all, I think it gives better control over the strings as well. The only time I move is if I want a different sound i.e. move my picking hand towards the neck.

You're absolutely right in saying Tommy anchors, in some of his songs his wrist is locked on the guitar. I think its personal preference.

Also, I think its a little easier for classical players not to anchor, steel strings give much more resistance to your fingers, (whe you play them it takes more effort) and when you're going quickly or loudly it can throw you off if you don't have a 'point of reference' for your hand.

I know I'll get told I'm wrong but it works for me.
Quote by confusius

Read

Sorry there is no rule somewhere saying its bad to anchor or not(and if there is, its an opinion only), it might be your opinion but honestly it could easily be different for each person. i anchor my pinky all the time and i feel i have better control over picking aswell as dynamics. i have been anchoring for 16 years, it has not hurt, hindered, or screwed up my technique. i've seen many people with floating picking hands that sounded like they had no control at all, and i've seen people anchoring which had no control at all, so i believe its different for each person.

i have really huge hands with long fingers so anchoring still gives me plenty of room to pick with clarity(of course im no john petrucci and no need to try lol) accually my hand anchors and unanchors without me even thinking about it.

by the way, none of this reply was ment to be mean or crotchety, i respect your opinion.
http://www.myspace.com/wolfblackblues
Sometimes i walk outside and stare at the Sun and sigh at its massive beauty, a Glowing Beacon of Light. Then i begin to see spots...My Eyes Burn, Retinas begin to become Torched!....Sometimes i Hate the Sun...
People says that anchor is bad because put a lot of tension of your hand, but if you practice well enough you can play anchored without any tension at all. Or course, it takes as much practice as try to play unanchored.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
well i mainly pinky anchor only, so the only tension is on the tip of my pinky, but thats no biggy, supose if i ever lose my pinky im screwed lol.
http://www.myspace.com/wolfblackblues
Sometimes i walk outside and stare at the Sun and sigh at its massive beauty, a Glowing Beacon of Light. Then i begin to see spots...My Eyes Burn, Retinas begin to become Torched!....Sometimes i Hate the Sun...