Page 1 of 2
Yeah, well yesterday i was bored and a bit TOO curious about my guitar's pickups, i read on the website which makes my pickup's and it said the model of one of the pickups i have sounds better for rhythm guitar(deeper/fuller on the low strings) when it is on the bridge(lowest) position on the guitar. So..having a bit of spare time yesterday, i unscrewed both of my pickups, switched them(rewired and crap), and then after it was switched(screws back in/strings retightened and all that junk), i plugged my guitar into my amp, and all i hear is a slight *CRACKLE CRACKLE* and no sounds. So now i just think "alright, i guess it doesn't work if you switch them..i'll just switch them back", so i unscrew everything again and all of that stuff, and switch them back. So after I get everything back where it was..I plug it into the amp again, and NO SOUNDS STILL!
So now basically the rest of my night(11p.m onward) i feel stressed, a little depressed, and pissed off.

And to top it all off, i've gotta tell my dad today that i've gotta owe him 200 more dollars(already owe him 200 bucks for him paying for part of my amp)..
he also didn't know of me messing with my pickups..so yeah..this sucks..
my gear:
Jackson DKMG(the one with EMG 81/85's)
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
old gear i'll probably sell eventually:
yamaha beginners guitar
gunmetal grey Fender squire strat
Fender 65R amp
probably just a loose wired or a faulity ground
crate gt 200
digitech GNX4
danelectro fab metal
aria les paul w/emg's
ibanez rg 570
fernandes acoustic/electric
homemade tele w/dimarizo PAF classic and seymore duncan pearly gates
well i know i didn't mess up on the wiring with both of them..wouldn't at least one still work?
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
Suicide dude, it's the only way out...

But seriously, just keep checking you have everything correct and if you still come up with nothing, it's not the end of the world nor worth getting this upset over. If anything, just tell your dad they just stopped working and you have "noooo" idea why.
mmmk.
Quote by Mafoo
Check if your Battery Aint Dead

i know they are because it worked a minute before i started messing with it.
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
emg 81/85 active pick ups that means you have a 9 vollt battery somewhere in your guitar that might be out
if i tell him it stopped working he'll waste even more money getting a guitar tech to look at it, then the guitar tech will know i f'ed with it and tell my dad that..
and as i said before, it's not my battery, it's a new guitar and it worked literally an hour before i took it apart..
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
Well, the only thing you could have done (at least, that I know of) is put the soldering iron on the actual wire from the pickups, and keep it there, when you soldered... this could put too much heat through the wire and fry it.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Quote by Striketalonx
Well, the only thing you could have done (at least, that I know of) is put the soldering iron on the actual wire from the pickups, and keep it there, when you soldered... this could put too much heat through the wire and fry it.

my problem was..i never switched the wires or anything, i never rewired it..All i did was take the pickup off the bridge, and put it on the neck, and same for the neck pickup. The emg pickups just have this fork-like thing which attaches to this plastic thing which has the wires in it.
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
DUDE, make sure your quick-connect cable is connected the right way, they're supposed to just pop in man, no soldering to switch around, so if you soldered them just to switch pickups, you did f it up
Quote by Striketalonx
Nowadys you dont even have to solder them on they got connectors
gah..I DIDN'T SOLDER IT! lol
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
well..is it possible that just switching my neck/bridge pickup while keeping the same quick-connect wires could fry my pickups? Because i know they take different amounts of voltage.
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
you didnt solder???? what? did u unplug the battery first? cause that COULD be your problem. email EMG or post on their website or somethign
no i didn't unplug it :/ so if i didn't unplug it is it fried or not?
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
They run from the same battery, and it's big time unlikely that they're fried. Check if you attached the quickconnects correctly, and not flipped.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Woops my bad.. I forgot about EMG's quick-connect.

Nevermind!
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
oh ok so i might have just flipped the quick connect? alright i'm gonna go open up my guitar right now even though i've got homework :/
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
Dont know how you did it. I have the same exact pickups. The pigtails and connectors are the same for both. The voltage from the batt is the same because they share a common power wire. So just swapping the pickups and not changing any wiring dont know what to tell you. Im not going to go experiment to find out either. And if we have learned anything from politics the coverup is far worse than the crime. Honesty goes a long way. I know if it was my kid I would have a really good laugh and wish you luck on getting it fixed. And then ask when Im gonna get my 200 bucks. But if my kid lied and tried to make up some stupid story I would go and pawn his guitar and let him buy the next one. Expensive lessons are the ones you remember best.
Have you tried another battery? you might have just shorted the battery? therefore draining it? its owrth a try?
My Gear

Schecter C1+ Plus w/Duncan Distortion
Vester Custom Shop w/EMG KH set
Fender Mex Strat
Pod xt
Boss ME-50
Peavey 6505
Peavey Valveking

In Dying Days
www.myspace.com/indyingdays

Member #4 of the Peavey is amazing club!
Quote by Tackleberry
Dont know how you did it. I have the same exact pickups. The pigtails and connectors are the same for both. The voltage from the batt is the same because they share a common power wire. So just swapping the pickups and not changing any wiring dont know what to tell you. Im not going to go experiment to find out either. And if we have learned anything from politics the coverup is far worse than the crime. Honesty goes a long way. I know if it was my kid I would have a really good laugh and wish you luck on getting it fixed. And then ask when Im gonna get my 200 bucks. But if my kid lied and tried to make up some stupid story I would go and pawn his guitar and let him buy the next one. Expensive lessons are the ones you remember best.

yeah my dad would find out one way or the other unless it is just a simple mistake like i think it might be(now that some of you have told me other things it might be)

So can i turn my amp on without my emg's screwed into the guitar and the strings loosened?
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
Dude you must really hate your guitar lol, I've read at least 5 threads made about why you don't like your guitar. If you payed a good amount for it stop messing with it and play it.

It may be your batteries, but perhaps you accidentally disconnected wires that connected to your pots.
Last edited by flamingstrat. at Sep 11, 2007,
Quote by flamingstrat.
Dude you must really hate your guitar lol, I've read at least 5 threads made about why you don't like your guitar. If you payed a good amount for it stop messing with it and play it.

It may be your batteries, but perhaps you accidentally disconnected wires that connected to your pots.

no, i just wasn't happy with the low string's sound, the alder body is somewhat bright so the lower strings sound weak.
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
Yea you can tap on a pick up with something metal to test em. Ive pugged in with the pick guard out of a guitar before to check the wiring.
Dude, i did the same thing. you connected the 'quick connect' upside down on both pickups. that is your problem. so loosen the strings, pop one pickup out, unplug it and plug the plug back in flipped over, plug your guitar into your amp, turn the amp on, and tap you pickup with a screwdriver - you should hear a noise thru your amp. if you do hear it, do the same w/ your other pickup.

if you dont hear it, put a new battery in the guitar and then it will be fixed and you can play on happily. go forth and fix....
<JimmyPage5290>
Gibson Les Paul Smartwood, and Trogdor (Custom guitar build)> Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde> DigiTech Distortion Factory> Dimebag CryBaby >Fender Hotrod Deville 212
OH WOW,

i'm such an idiot, but i'll always remember this lesson..my plug(on the amp) was only plugged in half way, it was the L shaped one. That's why i heard the crackle..it wasn't a pickup problem at all, it was me forgetting to check if my plug on the amp side was in all the way..i must have tripped on it at sometime..
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
actually i think i'm gonna switch it back to the 85 on the bridge now that i know what's wrong with it..lol
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
quite possibly a new record on mistakes. noone told you to check your input wire lol
I actually do have schizophrenia, so stop making fun of people who have it.

GEAR:
Boss ME-50
Silvertone Paul Stanley Apocalypse (modded)
Squier Affinity Strat (modded)
Italia Modulo 2
Fender Front 15G
glad everything is good now i will know what to cehck if i ever have problem
crap..here goes my momentary happiness..only the neck pickup works now
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
and it's not the pickup, it must be the wires because i switched the 85 to the bridge and only the neck worked, so i switched the 81 back to the bridge and still..only the neck.
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
now i don't know what to do..but at least one of my pickups works now :/
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp