Hey,

Just wondering what some people use to keep their strap locks stuck in the actual guitar. The screws keep coming out in mine!

I was told to put matchsticks in the holes, then screw into the matchsticks, but after a while both the matchsticks and screw come out.

Should i use some sort of glue or anything you guys can recommend?

Thanks
have you tried a bigger screw? other than covering your strap locks in duck tape Super Glue is a pretty permenent hold ....
My Gear

Schecter C1+ Plus w/Duncan Distortion
Vester Custom Shop w/EMG KH set
Fender Mex Strat
Pod xt
Boss ME-50
Peavey 6505
Peavey Valveking

In Dying Days
www.myspace.com/indyingdays

Member #4 of the Peavey is amazing club!
i would fill the holes up with wood filler(fake wood paste-like stuff) wait 24 hrs and then rescrew the straplock screws in.
Try bigger Screws if they don fit get a drill bit (which is the same size as your new screw and drill the stap peg itself to accommodate the new screw
did you use the original screws from your guitar or the ones that came with the strap locks? ALWAYS use the original screws, i have, and havent had any problems
even the original screws can cease to fit after being once removed.

a larger screw just eats away at more of the wood.

add toothpicks and glue to the hole, as many as will fit.
screw the screw back into the hole, in thru the toothpicks. let it sit a day or so. all set.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Mafoo
Try bigger Screws if they don fit get a drill bit (which is the same size as your new screw and drill the stap peg itself to accommodate the new screw

uh bad idea.

use wood filler as suggested or if you cant get that, jam it full of tooth picks coated in wood glue, let it dry, rescrew it. and use lots of glue.

my family has owned a furniture repair business for 20 years. that's how the pros do it
Quote by kidsthesedays
uh bad idea.

use wood filler as suggested or if you cant get that, jam it full of tooth picks coated in wood glue, let it dry, rescrew it. and use lots of glue.

my family has owned a furniture repair business for 20 years. that's how the pros do it

yeah that is how the pros do it.A friend of mine works at a store and this particular problem happened to my strat a while ago and he taught me how to do it.
Quote by kidsthesedays
uh bad idea.

I Never knew Furniure had strap locks wow
Quote by Mafoo
I Never knew Furniure had strap locks wow

Sounds Better
Quote by kidsthesedays
uh bad idea.

What this guy said...

I've been a woodworking hobbyist since I was 5. (36 now)

I would only add that you need to use a Wood glue not rubber cement or white glue or god forbid Gorilla glue (expands way too much) Just use something like Elmer's wood glue or Titebond (thats what I use)
do you have the zeppelin ones?
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
Wooden match sticks or toothpicks work, but they're usually only a temporary solution and will usually fall out again. Wood filler is not a good idea, because when you drill new holes into it and install the new screws, it will crack and eventually crumble and fall out, and the problem will return.

There's only one real way to fix this problem permanently. That's to permanently fill the enlarged holes with real wood and drill new ones. Luckily, you don't need to bring it to a pro to do this. Pretty much anyone can do this on their own, and it's about the cheapest repair you can do on your guitar.

For tools and materials, you will need:

- a drill and bits

- a pair of wire cutters or utility knife

- a hammer or mallet

- wood glue (Elmer's or Titebond)

- a small wooden dowel just slightly wider diameter than your screw hole. (less than $1 at Home Depot)

1. Using a drill bit the same diameter as the dowel, drill out the screw hole to make it smooth and about 2" / 5 cm deep. Careful not to go in and out with the drill bit and make the hole too wide.you want a snug fit between the dowel and the wood of the guitar.

2. Cut a piece of the dowel about 3" inches long. Dip 2 inches of it in the glue and remove the excess. Then insert the dowel into the screw hole on the guitar. Lightly tap the dowel with the hammer to fully insert it.

3. Repeat step 1 & 2 for the second hole

4. One the glue is dry, cut the excess length of dowel off at the body of the guitar with the cutters or knife.

5. Drill new, smaller holes for your strap button screws in the center of the dowel and install the buttons.

The guitar will be as solid as new, and depending on your body wood, possibly even stronger.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
i have never had a problem with my dunlops.

try screwing it in till it wont go anymore
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
they are dunlops,

Should the screws be glued? What will stop it from happening again in 3 months time?
usually when i use the toothpick and glue method, the fix will last well over a year.

just be sure to put in enough toothpicks.

tapping in a wood dowel and then redrilling for a new hole is another method.

but most techs working on interemediate gear use toothpicks unless dowels are specifically asked and paid for.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by CullenT
i have never had a problem with my dunlops.

try screwing it in till it wont go anymore

The problem isn't the strap locks. It's the holes in the guitar that are stripped and to large for the screws.

they are dunlops,

Should the screws be glued? What will stop it from happening again in 3 months time?

Read my post above. Follow the instructions and they'll never have to be fixed again.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor