Page 1 of 2
I talked about this a while back, and the parts are finally here! Basically its going to be a standard Tubescreamer circuit from BYOC, with opamp switching and clipping section switching. There's also going to be a mid-hump tone stack mod and a boost mod. I don't have time to get too far into it tonight, and I need to get the hubcap nice looking. Here's the parts!

Sorry for the terrible pictures, I have no AA batteries for my camera and had to use my phone. More will come when I get batteries. Any comments or opinions or anything? I may need some help from the experienced guys on here with the opamp switching.

UPDATE:

ok so this got thrown aside for a while, but now i have time to finish it. i got a PCB from Used666 (thanks!), and its half populated cause i need a couple parts from small bear. so i have a couple things i want to ask. right now for clipping i have LEDs, 1N4001, 1N34A germ, and 1N914. are there really any other options that i should try that would sound good? and are there any other mods i should try? i have plenty of room, so i'm up for anything. pictures soon.
Call me Roche.

Quote by Dyers
wut is a luthier? im assuming it has to do with the luthern church
Last edited by don't eat baby at Jan 14, 2008,
why do u have a Mercedes hubcap? Ive heard good stuff about BYOC pedals, so this should turn out well, if u do it right.
Now this is gonna be interesting.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
Quote by s.r.v.
which mods are this again? are you doing the omamp stack? and what diode combinations
EDIT: how to switch opamps:
http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/ScreamerLab/
if you get stuck, email dano. he's a great guy to work with

The mid-hump mod changes the value of the cap in the tone stack, and the boost switches between the stock 4.7k resistor and a 5k pot.

As for diodes, I'm gonna have two of each: IN4001, red LEDs, IN34A germanium, IN914, and two NOS germaniums from Smallbear, I forget what kind.

If you read through the page on there, he said at the end that he still hadn't managed to get the opamp switching to work. I've sent him an email though, and I'm still waiting for a reply.
The ICs I have are a JRC4558D, RC4558P, RC4889P, LM833N, TLC2272AC, and OP275. I know I'm using the JRC, RC4558, and LM833, but I might use the TLC as well. And yes, I'm using stacking.

Quote by qotsa1998
why do u have a Mercedes hubcap? Ive heard good stuff about BYOC pedals, so this should turn out well, if u do it right.

I found it in my garage the other day and thought it would make a pretty sweet enclosure.
Call me Roche.

Quote by Dyers
This ones gotten put on the back burner while I juggle school, work, and modding/building pedals for my friends who need them now. I've gotten all the switches done with the diodes and all so far, but that's it. I've got to debug my Tubescreamer first before I can use the board for it though...
I'll probably try to do the whole thing by the end of the week, if things go my way.
Call me Roche.

Quote by Dyers
Haha I will, I'm in a musical at school and don't have much spare time. It'll get done, I promise.
Call me Roche.

Quote by Dyers
Wow i totally forgot about this. We just got out of school on break so i'll work on it this weekend.
Call me Roche.

Quote by Dyers
Rememer in the pedal building thread i said i needed a pcb?
Well that hasn't gone away haha.
Call me Roche.

Quote by Dyers
Haha chill guys i think i have a PCB coming soon. I'll start it as soon as the board comes in, e-promise!
Call me Roche.

Quote by Dyers
yeah, that's what's been holding me back. school takes a ton of my time and i always forget things i'm in the middle of. but this WILL get done, i really want to do it.
Call me Roche.

Quote by Dyers
i updated the first post, and i'll probably start this later this week.
for real this time.
Call me Roche.

Quote by Dyers
ah the perfect distraction from my research paper....

try mosfets, those are cool. do them bythemselves and with germaniums, different color LED's, multiple 914's and 34a's, id also add a master bypass footswitch to bypass the clipping diodes giving you just a clean boost. i think that would be pretty cool.

also, do an opamp stack. and maybe add a boost circuit in with it. or an eq like the tonemender from www.runoffgroove.com good luck
For clipping.....

Try resistors in series with yo didoes.....
Try caps (very small values, very small) parallel to the diode.
Try mosfets, different size and color LEDs.
Also experiment with diodes in series.
Yep, i'm still doing the opamp stack with the JRC4558, RC4558, and LM833, and the boost circuit and mid-hump mod. And you mean mosfets instead of the MPSA18's, right? Any in particular that would maybe sound good? and i like the master bypass, i'll do that. one more question, what is the pinout for the opamps? because dano from beavis audio says this:

http://beavisaudio.com/Projects/ScreamerLab/images%5CWD_Opamp.jpg

and aron nelson says this:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/ampins.GIF
Call me Roche.

Quote by Dyers
bump for help about the pinout.
Call me Roche.

Quote by Dyers
id go with dano.

for mosfets try 2n7000, i believe thats whats in the ocd. look at dano's rat build. he clips mosfets in that

and 2n7000 might be completely wrong id double check somewhere
alright i'll try em out, thanks.
Call me Roche.

Quote by Dyers
Quote by s.r.v.
id go with dano.

for mosfets try 2n7000, i believe thats whats in the ocd. look at dano's rat build. he clips mosfets in that

and 2n7000 might be completely wrong id double check somewhere

Woohoo! I 'found' a whole stash of those very Mosfets at school, and that's what I'm using in my Tubescreamer clipping selector
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
^ Curse you. All I got was a pair of Hammond Enclosures, 10m of solder, 3 DPDT Stomps and a million resistors and caps And those Mosfets. And Transistors. And loads of other random crap actually. Ultrabright Pink LEDs FTW!
^ Yeah... I could get metal film resistors but he sorta them all weird so they're hard to get to so I get Carbon Film resistors, any switch upto DPDT, LEDs, Transistors... I get the MKT Metalized polyester caps, the little beige ones. I'm not gonna complain about what I can get and its quality, because it's all free. I've already half-built my Tubescreamer and built my Fuzz thanks to school resources
Man i wish i could get random parts from school, but i'm still in high school and we don't have any class about electronics.

Oh and i'm waiting on an order from small bear and i'll get crackin on this.
Call me Roche.

Quote by Dyers
yeah im jealous of you school thieves too.

i have to pay for my germanium transistors
i need to go to the stock room at my school.

i heard they only have 1/2w resistors tho... but some caps. groovy. just need the damn futurlec order to be shipped dammit!!!
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by don't eat baby
Man i wish i could get random parts from school, but i'm still in high school and we don't have any class about electronics.

Oh and i'm waiting on an order from small bear and i'll get crackin on this.

Im in high school still.

Ya I have probbly taken over a $100 worth of stuff, but thats why I pay taxes.
^ Yup I'm in high school too. Well British equivalent, true name is secondary but most call it high.

If I were to add it up:

Semiconductors: $5
Breadboard/Stripboard/Jacks: $10
Resistors: $5
Caps: $10
Switches: $20
Enclosures: $20

So that's what, $70? £35 worth. Pretty good going I think
Page 1 of 2