I have a sunburst Gibson Les Paul, it's a 1960's reissue, it was made in 2000 but it doesn't really matter.

I want it to faded, so it looks old and nice.

Other than leaving it out in the sun, what else can I do?
I wouldn't do that to a Gibson if I were you. But if you must, then use fine grit (800+) sand paper and focus on a spot. For dings, use a key. To make your metal parts look used place them in salt water and vinigar. Should look sweet
you could put it in a chamber or room with a lit cigarette. the smoke helps color the finish a little yellower. otherwise, u would have to sand it down and sand the paint some. but that would be a little hard, as Gubson finishes are pretty thick.
get like 300 grit sand paper and rub it on the spots you want to look worn down, 300 grit is like ultra fine sandpaper incase you didn't know, so it shouldn't leave deep scratches or anything like that.
Sandpaper is probably the most practical solution, but don't quote me on that, so to speak. I think this same question was asked recently and the conclusion was that the finish on les pauls means they aren't prone to paint fades or visible wear and tear, so they don't really lend themselves to the relic'd strat look.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
no, I don't want holes and messed up look.

I just want the paint to appear old, aged.

no holes, no sand paper. Just making the paint seem old.

Like it was left in a basement for 50 years... Like mint condition but aged.
Quote by nan0
I have a sunburst Gibson Les Paul, it's a 1960's reissue, it was made in 2000 but it doesn't really matter.

I want it to faded, so it looks old and nice.

Other than leaving it out in the sun, what else can I do?

i dont think thats a good idea, cuz you might make your guitar a ****. how about buying a cheap les paul copy with the same finish you have (ie, epiphone, agile) and there you can try this metods, and if you burn your guitar, you lost 200 usd.
if you burn your gibson, you will lose a lot os money as the guitar is more than 2000usd, and in some 50 years it will cost a small fortune. so take care and try in another guitar
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Quote by nan0

Leave it in a basement for 50 years? That'll work.
Yeah Dimebag is not the "Greatest Guitarist" of all time... Hendrix maybe... I must go get food to eat with my mouth

$250 for an amp? wow. is it worth it to invest that much in the amp?

then go w/ the cigarette idea. it colors the clear coat/nitro. Makes an Alpine white guitar look like its Creme colored. Gibson finishes, unless they arent clear coated, are very hard and wont wear easily.
Quote by nan0

...sand it, take the paint off a little. I'm sure after 50 years untouched the paint would wear off alittle.
Words to live by: Haters gonna' hate.
There is nothing more beautiful than an old stratocaster. I have about a twenty year old les paul, i think it's that old. The pickups are a little rusted, and the like. It's black, so it can't fade much more.

And Mint condition, but aged? that doesn't make sense.

Wouldn't you have to sand through the gloss on the guitar first, before you got to the paint, anyway?
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Quote by freedoms_stain
use it ALOT, and sweat on it alot, ever see Rory Gallagher's favourite stratocaster ?

thats through sheer gigging, and puttin yer heart into every note.
It had also been stolen on tour and found in a marsh a week later.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
to be honest man an aged looking guitar should be something you earn by using the thing for years until it actually has aged, it should be a badge of honour, not something you do to look cool.

That's just my opinion, take it or leave it.

I like shiny guitars anyway
dude,i keep reccomending to try on somethig else, as you might ruin your gibson or just dont like the result
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Ok post this in the Gear building forum the people there actually know what they're talking about
never sand the top of a Gibson Les Paul.....thats all I need to say

you could leave it out in the sun (supervised of course)

maybe take off the pickguard and whatnot, unless you want those to fade/age too
Last edited by -heartbreaker- at Sep 11, 2007,
seconded, if you want the guitar to look aged age it. Just like if someone wants their pants to be ripped why don't they just rip their damn pants instead of buying them like that.
A band of my very own:

Pyknic
ripping pants is easier and I do, do that by mistake.

Actually it's my dad's guitar and he asked me to do this.

I'm not sanding it, fo sho.
i have heard, that leaving it in a room for about two weeks with halogen lights on constantly, will yellow the finish a bit, giving it that vintage look, but i'm not totally sure
Quote by nan0

tom murphy doesn't put holes in a guitar.

he does exactly what you want.
http://richmusic.dmusic.com

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."
Hello. I definitely would not go the sand paper route. I would use a UV-C lamp. UV-C rays from the sun are what caused the pigments in the paint to fade faster than with UV-A or B light. UV-C light has a shorter wavelength and will react with the nitro paint better.
Hope this helps.