so i have this tuner i just bought but it only lets me tune to standard, but i can have flats so like i hit the button and it gives me a flat so,iwant to tune my guitar 2 whole steps down so what whould i do,do i use the flat button,and if so how many times?
4 times
Quote by soulflyV
Prepare to have every orifice in your body occupied by a dwarf.
since your questions been answered i have one of my own.....

would it be possible to tune your guitar up? since theres no sharp buttons i wouldnt know how to go about doing this.....
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
Quote by Its_Rock77
since your questions been answered i have one of my own.....

would it be possible to tune your guitar up? since theres no sharp buttons i wouldnt know how to go about doing this.....

Use a capo
is that the only way?

i havent been able to buy one and thats why im asking....

I've only ever used chromatic tuners so I really dont know...but if it helps (this is kindda a rhetorical question, sorry) if you wanted to tune your low E up to say, a G; then wouldn't you be able to hit the flat button until you get it to G? The octave would change but the note would still stay the same right?
that would work but mine can only go 2 and a half steps down.

i suppose i could fret a note and tune to another. id just have to find which notes to do that with....

Tuning your guitar up is a bad idea, very very bad. Nothing is worse than overtightened strings, they're like time bombs just waiting to snap and ruin your serenading of women.
you couldn't use a capo the voice of the note changes. I'm not a know it all by any means, but to me the notes just sound different. I have an acoustic that I keep in Drop C, and sometimes I like to use the capo to simulate an up tune. The sound kindda bugs me but if your playing for a crowd of your drunk friends or just by yourself its passable. I, personally, dont like :-P
even a half step? but youve got a point. i guess ill just stay away from that.

Edit: to the other guy.

but since i dont have drunk friends, ill just not tune up. thanks guys!

Going up from drop C is one thing, but when you're at E, it's still better to capo up, rather than running the risk of everything going snap-snap on you. I mean, if the pro's can use capo's they're perfectly fine for me.
for some songs (goo goo dolls) ya gotta tune your guitar up though. I agree completely though, my friend kept one of his acoustics tuned up to a G so he could play for his girl, one day he was showing me the openning lick to a song and the high e snapped and popped him in the lip. Left a nasty little cut...it was the craziest thing I'd ever seen with a string. lol But yeah, if you want to tune your guitar to a different note just find a different position somewhere down the neck to do so. Just be careful not to go too far down the neck (towards the 12th) just incase your intonation is off.
you can go up a couple of steps without immediate worry, and believe it or not there are a bunch of songs by professional musicians that require you to tune up your guitar. The problem is that once you've stretched them out like that they loose their integrity and with that they loose thier reliability.

What are you trying to tune your guitar to?
i was thinking just standard a half step up.

Quote by Its_Rock77
i was thinking just standard a half step up.

Ok, I think i know the kindda tuner your talking about. If its the type I'm thinking my first response is buy a chromatic tuner. And to answer your question: just tune each string while fretting it somewhere else. For instance tune your low E to a G while fretting it at the second fret.