Page 1 of 2
how come there is so little jam band appreciation on this site? Grateful Dead! Phish! Dave Matthews Band! Moe.! Allman Brothers Band! Umphrey's McGee! Disco Biscuits! String Cheese Incident! Gov't Mule! theres pleny more! who likes em?!?!?!
THIS IS MY SIGNATURE

I love jam bands, I consider the band I'm in a jam band.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
I'm a one man jam band.
Last edited by Gustavo777 at Sep 11, 2007,
i love most of these bands, and it may be sort of wimpy sounding but disco biscuits haleakala crater is one of my favorite songs, it is poetic, and while it may not be a song where the true jam bandedness of them shines through, its a good song, and i enjoy them. Ive seen people that have mentioned the allman brothers, i especially like revival, its a good song, it has simple lyrics, but an amazing tone and feel to the song. The Grateful dead, what is there to say about them except that they are the epitome of goodness, friend of the devil is catchy as hell, and everybody has heard the chorus to casey jones. the only song by the string cheese incident that ive heard of is jellyfish. its a great song of a day gone bad, but it is an awesome song, though i grew tired of its length by about the 10th time i heard it, but i was in a serious jam band phase about 6 months ago, ive outgrown it, but not the music.
I ,too, love these previously mentioned "Jametime musical ensambles"
Quote by StoopidRudeboy
Ohhhhh, you still ruined it for me now...... never mind. Your cool ill let it go.

Hmm...

closest thing I ever got to a compliment
You just named most of my favorite bands....

yeah "jam band" is up there with jazz for my favorite genre. Lucky for me I have schwagstock just 3 hours away so I get to experience more festivals than most people.
Follow me on instagram @createdaily
Umphrey's & Bisco are the best bands out there now. Can't wait will they both come up to Boston next month.. should be a great time.
"I know we all can't stay here forever, So I'm gunna write my words on the face of today. And they'll paint it."
Perpetual Groove, the Flecktones, Railroad Earth, The Breakfast. **** man, there is nothing better than freeform improvised beauty. Harry Hood gets me through the day.
Quote by sukerpunch17
Umphrey's & Bisco are the best bands out there now. Can't wait will they both come up to Boston next month.. should be a great time.

If you haven't seen Umphrey's live before, you're in for an absolutely mind blowing experience.
The Derek Trucks band is another great jam band no one mentioned. I have been listening to them pretty much nonstop lately. Songlines is such a great cd and Out of The Madness is awesome too. I sounds like he just recorded a jam session of the band haha
Cream!
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
I saw Phil Lesh and Friends last night. It was a night to remember to say the least.
im seeing them october 21st, looking forward to it immensly
THIS IS MY SIGNATURE

Quote by larry jones
I heard Phish are getting together again in 08...

You sir, just made that up.
Yea, from minneapolis. Didnt make it to 10lkf, really wanted to get up there. Maybe next year. We got Gov't Mule playin here on Halloween tho. Thats gonna be killer.
Saw Umphrey's Friaday in boston. F*ck yeah. Killer August, jammy Triple Wide, rockin Wizard Burial Ground and Shine On You Crazy Diamond. One of the best Floyd covers I've ever heard. They are so f*ckin good.
First jam band I saw were !!! supporting the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and they put me off jam bands. Maybe some of them are good, and I appreciate they'll have a pretty strong music theory, but... not my thing.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
!!! are some kind of indie/punk thing, not a jam band, at least they don't sound like any jam band I've ever heard.

Anyway, I usually have phases of liking jam bands, phases that usually come and go with warm, sunny spells in the weather.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
i love jam bands too...im thinking of going to allgood festival next year. I like a lotta stuff like allman brothers grateful dead perpetual groove alo phish and umphrey . i am in a psuedo jam band ( we have some songs in which we are just jamming ).

on a side note suckerpunch you live wicked close to me im in northboro, i actually worked in bolton over the summer ( which is really close to acton )
MULE!!
I thought they were awesome and then I saw them in concert. Now I am permanently hooked. I saw Derek Trucks and Haynes this summer with the Allman's and I was thrilled. I used to not think so highly of jam bands, but I am slowly going that way.
Quote by Phiddler
Saw Umphrey's Friaday in boston. F*ck yeah. Killer August, jammy Triple Wide, rockin Wizard Burial Ground and Shine On You Crazy Diamond. One of the best Floyd covers I've ever heard. They are so f*ckin good.

Yah I was there for Boston.. the energy during shine on was insane.. what a great show.
"I know we all can't stay here forever, So I'm gunna write my words on the face of today. And they'll paint it."
Getting into this genre totally defined how I approach music, I think. It's pretty cool being able to chart exactly how I did as well ...

Primus -> Oysterhead -> Phish -> everything else.

Because it's not so much a genre as a concept, it covers a huge range of ecectic music, and everything in between and beyond. Getting into jam bands really opened up music for me, and Phish are indeed one of my two favourite bands. The jam band scene here in the UK is nothing like as huge as it is in America; the sad reality is it doesn't seem to have cought on, so not only are no big jam bands emerging here, but a bunch of my favourite artists don't tour here either Piss indeed.

Quote by Dr. No
I love jam bands, I consider the band I'm in a jam band.

I'd say so

I liked it on the first impression, pretty raw and enrgetic stuff. I may well have to download everything when I'm not filching a 1mbps connection from the edge of the Norwich openlink.
"Is it an ambulance? Is he Philip Larkin? So much power in so few words."
~The Observer

"A transcendant terrestris, a timeless behemoth, trapped like Sisyphus in the cyclical burden of his own genius."
~The Sun

"His a cant."
~The Independent
I think The Allman Brothers and Government Mule and the Derek Trucks Band are AWESOME
Hells ya, the jam band genre is so diverse its incredible;

Classic Rock-Cream, Grateful Dead
Jazz, Funk, and Fusion-Galactic, Medeski Martin and Wood, Bela Fleck and the Flecktones
Prog Rock-Umphrey's
Techno Trance-Disco Biscuits and Sts9
Bluegrass Folk-String Cheese Incident, Hot Buttered Rum
Straight up Rock n Roll-Phish and Moe.
Blues-Allman Brothers, Gov't Mule

An umphrey's concert is the best ive ever been too. Each time i see them they get better and better. Can't wait until new years eve in Chicago, should be crazy.
Quote by Pink_Floyd89
Hey baby, is that a mirror in your pocket or am I stabbing you repeatedly in the face?

The Slick Fingers of the Bass Malitia, PM IndieMetalHead to join

You don't own shit.
Um ... Grateful Dead are classic rock? Phish are straight up rock n'roll?

Either I've read your post wrong, mate, or you seem to have your genres confused quite severely

What fuels a lot of jam band mentality is the idea of eclecticism - fusing several styles together in a way that's still distinctive because of the band that's playing the music. The 'Dead started out as a more straightforward blues, bluegrass and folky sort of outing before migrating on to more angular, experimental territories, and then after the first and second reformations came back with a whole range of styles from funk and jazz through rock n'roll to the progressive stuff they'd touched on before. As for Phish - forget about it. They've done everything and anything.
"Is it an ambulance? Is he Philip Larkin? So much power in so few words."
~The Observer

"A transcendant terrestris, a timeless behemoth, trapped like Sisyphus in the cyclical burden of his own genius."
~The Sun

"His a cant."
~The Independent
I actually just made a new jam band the other day, it was the first time we've ever jammed and we tried to record it, and it's pretty sweet (not to toot my own horn). None of us are really GREAT at our instruments but it was fun. It isn't equalized very well but it's decent, i'll be uploading it within a week so if anyone has 50 minutes of time to kill and wants to give it a listen just pm me.
I saw Keller Williams a few nights ago here in St. Louis, Devon Allman showed up and played a song with him, which was incredible. Tomorrow night I'm going to see moe. which I'm really excited for as well.
Page 1 of 2