I tried searching several times and didnt find anything, so.....

replacing a neck. It seems to me that it shouldn't be too hard (for a bolt on)--acquire neck, line it up, bolt it on, adjust truss/action/intonation and voila.

However, local shops want $100 for neck installation, which leads me to believe that it is in fact harder than i thought. Since my neck snapped (and the truss was worthless on it beforehand anyways) i need to get a new neck on my bass. And I have gigs coming up nxt month, so i need to do it fast.

So. I'm having a hard time convincing my parents that I can install a neck.

How hard is it?
Can I probably do it myself?
if so, is it just bolt on and adjust or is there a step-by step somwhere?
i broke my neck on my acoustic and then glued it back on but i dunno about this on how did u do it anyways
What bass do you have, and is it worth spending the $200-$400 on a new neck?

The actual steps for putting in the neck aren't that difficult, but getting it all right, including the ever-difficult neck pitch angle, requires some experience. Also, screwing in the screws throught the neck and into the body sometimes require special tools since it may be too strong for hands.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Its not too difficult. Take the old neck off, measure the neck pocket and then either buy a new one (www.warmoth.com) or get a slab of wood and carve it out yourself. Then get a long straightedge and fit the new neck onto the body and see if its straight from the saddles onto about halfway up the neck. If so, then screw that bad boy on, if not you might need to make some shims and install them into the pocket to make it straight. Also before you screw it on you should measure from the edge of the nut to where the string crosses the saddles and make sure its the same scale length. Hope that helps, if you've got any more questions feel free to PM me.
Native Pride

Better to reign in hell

Member of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join, luthier's only
Member of The Future Embrace, UG's Billy Corgan/Smashing Pumpkins fan club. PM musiclover2399 to join .
Quote by thefitz
What bass do you have, and is it worth spending the $200-$400 on a new neck?

The actual steps for putting in the neck aren't that difficult, but getting it all right, including the ever-difficult neck pitch angle, requires some experience. Also, screwing in the screws throught the neck and into the body sometimes require special tools since it may be too strong for hands.

No, its definitely not worth spending $200-400 on. I don't even have that much money. I was thinking getting a cheap neck ($50-100 range) and installing it myself. http://rondomusic.net has one i was looking at.

As for too strong for hands, I have power tools at my disposal.

Opticon makes it sound easy, but then why does a shop want $100 for installation?
Quote by its irrelevant
Opticon makes it sound easy, but then why does a shop want $100 for installation?

Thats just a labor cost, some shops are more expensive than others. The shop I used to work at wanted $50 for a set-up, not including strings. The hardest part of putting a new neck on a guitar is making sure that the neck pocket will accomodate your new neck. So my guess would be the $100 is a pre-emptive thing, in case they have to make shims or widen the pocket. Just a guess.
Native Pride

Better to reign in hell

Member of The Future Embrace, UG's Billy Corgan/Smashing Pumpkins fan club. PM musiclover2399 to join .
Ah. okay, so if i were to have to adjust the pocket (which based on measurements i wont)--i would just shim it or rout it out right?
You'd need to shim or rout only if the neck doesn't fit side to side or depth-wise. Other than that the only reason you'd need to shim would be if the neck isn't straight with the bridge when you put the straightedge on the saddles and up onto the neck.
Native Pride

Better to reign in hell

You'd need to shim or rout only if the neck doesn't fit side to side or depth-wise. Other than that the only reason you'd need to shim would be if the neck isn't straight with the bridge when you put the straightedge on the saddles and up onto the neck.
Native Pride

Better to reign in hell

Alright--now for the hardest part--convincing my parents--lol.

Thanks for the info, I think I'll just try and do it myself then.
If your patient, aren't a complete noob with tools, and have some spare time you could prolly do it. It's a lot harder than just slappin it on there, but its a totally do-able DIYS project.