So I installed fender vintage noiseless in my G&L. I think I did a pretty good job for my first time, but now I get a buzz in all pickup positions and don't know why. The tone doesn't change that much when you switch the pickup selector and the buzz goes away when you turn the volume all the way down. I followed the wiring diagram exact that fender supplied with the pickups. I don't have strings on it now because I'm waiting on new tuners, I wouldn't think that would cause it. Could it be a grounding issue? On the old pickups, it was grounded to the tremolo but on the fender diagram it told me to ground to the volume pot housing, which I did. Anyone have any ideas?
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Fender MIA Black/Maple Jazz 4 String
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
Well is the volume pot housing grounded to the tremolo? If not there's your problem.

If it is then are you electronics statically isolated; aka, is the cavity they're all in (and the back of the pickguard) lined with tin foil or another metallic substance that would impede electrical signal 'bleeding' into your instrument...

But it's probably the first one, and if not directly you may've had some sod-point break loose.
it could be the amp duh i use to have a amp that buzzed it sit next to the t.v. and i figured out t.v.'s and **** ****s with amps
No the volume pot isn't grounded to the tremolo. Should it be? I would imagine that it would have told me that in the wiring diagram. Here's the wiring diagram I used

Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
Quote by Bad Seed
No the volume pot isn't grounded to the tremolo. Should it be? I would imagine that it would have told me that in the wiring diagram. Here's the wiring diagram I used.

Yes yes it should be... And did you use 1 Meg pots like they suggested? If so I'll bet that sucker sounds bright and tasty.

But it basically goes without saying; you have to ground the volume pot to the trem; do that and the hum will go away.
Quote by RadioMuse
Yes yes it should be... And did you use 1 Meg pots like they suggested? If so I'll bet that sucker sounds bright and tasty.

But it basically goes without saying; you have to ground the volume pot to the trem; do that and the hum will go away.

It came with all the pots. I will give that a shot and see how it works. Hang tight, give me about 20 minutes......
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
You don't have halogen lights do you? Mine make my ESP buzz like a bee, turn them off and then its fine
yah you trem needs to be grounded..... Ironicly enough your right about the diagram not showing that. But every guitar I have seen the pots have been grounded with the bridge.
ok, well I soldered a wire from the volume pot to the brigde, I still have the buzz, but if I grab the volume knob and wiggle it a little, it will go away, and also when I touch the power switch on my amp (metal toggle switch), the sound goes away also so I'm guessing it's a grounding problem now. I used a quality selector switch, pots, wires, but I did reuse my input jack. How could I fix a grounding problem? Add more? My soldering skills are pretty good with the wires to the prongs on the pots and selector switch, but I had some trouble getting the wire to solder to the pot housing, don't know if that would cause it too. Anyone have any ideas now?
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
Well it does sound like a ground problem, but the question is where is the grounding bad at?."You don't have to answer that, just stating what the question is for my own refrence." Any chance one of them soder points on the ground wires "Maybe the one on the bottom of the pot" is not making a full connction?
Here's some pics of how I soldered the grounds to the pots. As you can see I had to solder each wire to a different spot on the pot for a ground, I had trouble trying to solder 2 and 3 wires in one spot, so I spread them out. The solders are strong, they are steerdy and don't wiggle.

It's late for me guys, I'm heading to bed now, but post up what you all think and I'll check it tomorrow morning.
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
So.... Ummm They arn't being grounded? I just looked at the diagram not sposta be like that
it looks like the 2 tone pots are just connected to each other with 2 different wires and not being grounded. i could be wrong though.

make sure you dont have any ground loops.
Quote by blind nate
it looks like the 2 tone pots are just connected to each other with 2 different wires and not being grounded. i could be wrong though.

make sure you dont have any ground loops.

Woot I'm not the only one who see's that.... I was thinking i wasn't tracing a wire right, cuz no one else has said anything about it.
Quote by WickedBeast666
Umm.... You got 2 grounds going from the far left pot, to the middle pot O.o?

haha, yea I do have 2 grounds on the pot, guess I'll fix that later also.

Well like I said, I was having trouble soldering the ground wires to the pot, and after thinking more about it, I hope I didn't use too much heat and damaged the pots. What I did is I heated the pot up, added solder to the top of the pot until it melted, then I stuck the wire on there and held it down on the pot with the soldering iron. Then I added more solder on top of that to fuse the wire better the pot.

I also have the ground going from the tremolo to the volume port where the input jack is grounded.
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
pots are pretty sturdy, theres not much to their contruction, so i doubt you did any real damage to them.

you should invest in a bottle of flux and some qtips. those pots dont look like theyre actually grounded at all; if they are the slightest bit (which im assuming the are) its because of the foil on the back of the pickguard. you can bend those lugs back to touch the casing and solder it like that---to bypass using that wire like on the volume pot. you really shouldnt need to let the iron touch anything but for a second or 2 before applying the solder, then let the solder flow and pull the solder away, then the iron. its a little tougher when putting the wires on the pot casing, so try using those 3rd hand things (a little stand with an alligator clip on each side) or your other hand.

oh yea, you could go ahead and shield the cavities (i use aluminum foil and adhesive spray) and put ya a treble bleed cap on the volume (a .001 microfarad cap across the outside lugs of the volume pot).
Quote by blind nate
oh yea, you could go ahead and shield the cavities (i use aluminum foil and adhesive spray) and put ya a treble bleed cap on the volume (a .001 microfarad cap across the outside lugs of the volume pot).

Thanks man, I might try that out. The white wire was actually wire I got from work, it's pretty thick stuff, almost 12 gauge, so that may have been my problem. I got some 16 gauge that I'm going to try. I'm just going to resolder all the grounds and see how that works. Also that microfarad, what does that look like? Because I got a capacitor and few other peices with the pickups
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
well I removed the extra ground that I had and the buzz is gone now so I'm guessing that was it. I still have a very faint hum so I'm going to line the cavity with copper tape or aluminum foil with adhesive spray blind nate stated. Now I'm just waiting on tuners so I can string it up and see what she sounds like
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
WTF do you need all that wiring for... shorten your wires and tidy that thing up... hideous.
the cap should say 221.. i think. its a small one, real small, probably a ceramic one, too, so it looks like a little disc. look up a capacitor value-number chart online (ive got one in the basement, but sorry im not that nice haha) and see if youve got the right one.

it would be very wise to invest in some good stranded 24 or 26 awg wire.

Eros is right, but honestly it shouldnt make a difference in the sound.