Okay so I'm into mostly punk rock music like blink 182... Most of their songs are composed of power chords and basic single note melodies... not exactly complicated and its just sort of monotonous.... What I'm trying to ask is there any way to not so much change the songs but change how I play them to make it incorporate more than just power chords..
This is a monument to our everything before forever comes crashing. - Converge
Instead of playing power chords play barre chords.
Gear listing coming soon...
probably not with punk music.

It sounds like you getting ready to venture beyond punk and into the realms of other music.

try some other stuff and see how you like it. You might be surprised...
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
play single notes instead of power chords and power chords instead of single notes
Well, I don't know if you know this, but you should definitely start incorporating palm muting. A good example would be Basketcase by Greenday. If you were to straight strum that song it would sound boring as hell (it's kind of boring anyway but you get the point) but when you incorporate palm muting it makes it more interesting.

Also, try barre chords, even though they aren't a lot more interesting that power chords. Try learning some simple triads on the higher strings to compliment the melodies you use.

My Guitars:
Fender Mustang.
Yamaha FG-413SL.
Power chords and single-note lines seriously are all there is to punk, although sometimes I hear punk bands do a little more, like those octave things (-5x7-- for example). Other than that, I really say move on to something better than punk, cuz there's quite a lot of it.
Quote by GeekInThePink
Power chords and single-note lines seriously are all there is to punk, although sometimes I hear punk bands do a little more, like those octave things (-5x7-- for example). Other than that, I really say move on to something better than punk, cuz there's quite a lot of it.

Even those octaves aren't really very different than the power chords themselves...
Gear listing coming soon...
Okay thanks guys just one more thing...
How do you play your power chords? Because I don't know if I'm playing them right i usually just bar the whole fret and use my pinky and fourth finger to play the octave and fifth.... I like playing by wrapping my thumb around too and just fingering one fret one string with my index but that comes off sloppy sometimes... what do u guys do?
This is a monument to our everything before forever comes crashing. - Converge
you shouldn't bar the whole fret, just the first string in the power chord otherwise you will probably find you are using to much strength that is unnecessary
Quote by Snowing
Even those octaves aren't really very different than the power chords themselves...

Ye...well Playing the root and octave is different from a powerchord as it's missing the 5th, so there is a small difference when you play them, but not enough to change the whole song around I agree.
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
What's the big deal with Gibsons, anyway?
I've heard loads of Gibsons being played before
and they don't sound any more special than
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
Quote by DeanGuitarist77
Okay thanks guys just one more thing...
How do you play your power chords? Because I don't know if I'm playing them right i usually just bar the whole fret and use my pinky and fourth finger to play the octave and fifth.... I like playing by wrapping my thumb around too and just fingering one fret one string with my index but that comes off sloppy sometimes... what do u guys do?

heres how I do I dont know how to make the tab look good but if it looks like this

---------------
---------------
---------------
------7--------
------7--------
------5-------
then I use my index to fret the 5 and my middle finger to fret both 7's there is diffrent ways people use them like using 3 fingers to do it
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."
Quote by DeanGuitarist77
Okay so I'm into mostly punk rock music like blink 182... Most of their songs are composed of power chords and basic single note melodies... not exactly complicated and its just sort of monotonous.... What I'm trying to ask is there any way to not so much change the songs but change how I play them to make it incorporate more than just power chords..

Completely re-arrange the song...keep the same notes but alter the feel. For example, slow down a fast song and play it as acousticy strummer with open chord voicings, play another with a reggae beat, another with a country feel.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com