i play heavy metal. a lot of metallica, megadeth, and slayer.
i also play pantera, hatebreed, lamb of god, and death metal type stuff.
so i was wondering what type of pickups would better suit my style, duncans or dimarzios?
i need a pickup with high-gain and it needs to have decent cleans.
i also want it to be able to pull off harmoics and pinch harmonics easily.
any suggestions?
i would say at least a Dimebucker in the bridge, for the pinches. for the neck you could go full-out Dime and do a '59 duncan, or you could put in a hi-gain dimarzio. i dont know dimarzios too well, i've only played a guitar with them once. but duncans are quite common and have good sound for the money.

ALSO

get a danelectro Fab Tone or Black Paisley distortion. i have the fab tone, and when you crank the Fab (distortion), switch to bridge pup and pinch, it squeals like nothing else. and you can get second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, seven-and-a-half, and ninth fret harmonics.

i also reccomend the Dimewah for getting the most out of harmonics.
Songs!
Something's Changed
Frost

BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Dean Palomino Vintage Sunburst
Indiana Scout Acoustic in Sparkly Blue
Kustom Arrow 16DFX, soon to be a Vox Valvetronix 50
Dimebag Custom Crybaby
Fab Tone
Dimebuckers are awful, so are Invaders.

For high gain, Dimarzio, EMG, Bareknuckle is the way to go.

If you need extreme gain in the bridge, go with an X2N, for more versatility, go with an EVO, Blaze, or Dropsonic.

Neck: SD 59, Jazz, Dimarzio PAF Joe, Fred, Norton
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
if you like dimes tone get a bill lawrence XL-500 because thats the actual pickup he used not this "dimebucker" bull-shiit
Member No. 002# of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join".
DEAN 79MLF > Fulltone OCD > Keeley TS9DX Flexi > Marshall Sliver Jubilee > Orange PPC 4x12

Quote by MESAexplorer
Dimebuckers are awful, so are Invaders.

For high gain, Dimarzio, EMG, Bareknuckle is the way to go.

If you need extreme gain in the bridge, go with an X2N, for more versatility, go with an EVO, Blaze, or Dropsonic.

Neck: SD 59, Jazz, Dimarzio PAF Joe, Fred, Norton

+1

EDIT

- the FRED in the neck.
emg
duncan jb or invader
dimarzio x2n or d activator (tone zone is good for rock, not really for metal)
Speaking of Dimarzio. I have a question but I am too lazy to make a thread for it. What would go good with a X2N? I saw someone say a combination earlier but I would like some other ideas.
"[Being a drug addict] is like making love to a gorilla, you don't stop 'till the gorilla is done..." - Dave Mustaine
Quote by super_spam_away
Speaking of Dimarzio. I have a question but I am too lazy to make a thread for it. What would go good with a X2N? I saw someone say a combination earlier but I would like some other ideas.

maybe a jb in the neck; even though it's typically a bridge pickup they sound pretty seet in the neck position)
Quote by super_spam_away

X2N is a bit wanky to be honest - people only buy it if they care more about the looks and specs of their pickups rather than the tone. Best Dimarzio for metal tones is probably the D-Sonic, the Breed is probably the best bet for the neck, but if you don't bother with cleans then you could go with a Super 2.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
D sonic is great for metal. Breed is a great neck pup too.

D activators aren't bad either although I like the 7 string version way more than the six string.