Well my best friend(who is a very attractive girl who i kinda like) was messing around on my guitar, and she was actually pretty good for never playing, and i see potential in her so i convinced her to take up guitar. She wants to take lessons Directly from me so i was wodering if anyone had any suggestions on how to teach her? i was thinking of starting of with posture and stuff, and then just run the Chromatic Scale( 0-1-2-3-4 fret thing) to get her fingers working and maby teach the penatonic, then move on to Chords.
Quote by IHATECHILDREN
Show her how to shread on your fretboard, if you know what I mean.

prepare for those kinda comments
Jackson DXMG -> Vai Morley Wah -> Korg Black Tuner -> (Need a delay) -> Maxon OD808 -> BBE Sonic Maximizer -> ISP Noisegate -> Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Keep her interested. Don't force an acoustic on her, let her choose which axe of yours she wants to use. So she'll stay interested. Also, give her practical stuff like scales, notes, etc. and then give her something that sounds cool but is simple to play, like the solo from "Smells like teen spirit" so that way they'll gain some knowlegde, but they can be proud of something they learned that doesn't sound drabb and boring. It works with kids that I teach, hope it helps
The Pit. The Movie.
here's some incentive... for each thing youve taught her that she plays correctly, you take an article of clothing off (or put an article on, if youre like me and suck at getting girls -_-)
Yeah i already kinda taught her Smoke o n the Water and the first bit of Romanza, and even some two-hand tapping. and im gonna probobly let her use my Electric. and to IHATECHILDREN, unfortunatly she has a bf...
go down to the local shop and pick up whatever book they use to teach lessons, and work with that. that'll give a solid foundation, and you can put your own personal spin on it so you know she's learning all she needs to know.
Quote by Spay
Keep her interested. Don't force an acoustic on her, let her choose which axe of yours she wants to use. So she'll stay interested. Also, give her practical stuff like scales, notes, etc. and then give her something that sounds cool but is simple to play, like the solo from "Smells like teen spirit" so that way they'll gain some knowlegde, but they can be proud of something they learned that doesn't sound drabb and boring. It works with kids that I teach, hope it helps

Yeah, keep her interest without crippling her progress.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Please tell me "Smoke on the water" was the first thing she learned...if it was, you fail as a teacher.

Nah, just go through the book with her, if you have more than one guitar let her borrow the book and the guitar. The usual crap.
The Pit. The Movie.
Give her easy songs to play and point out techniques that are used in the songs.
^ can she read music? if not that's definatly something important.

There's always room for those fluffy, warm moments where you put your hands over hers and guide her to do the right thing.

- no perversion intended

and yeah start with the chromatics, definatly teach her a few songs, assuming you listen to her music, pick out a few easy ones to start with.
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Quote by seek_&_destroy
^ can she read music? if not that's definatly something important.

There's always room for those fluffy, warm moments where you put your hands over hers and guide her to do the right thing.

- no perversion intended

and yeah start with the chromatics, definatly teach her a few songs, assuming you listen to her music, pick out a few easy ones to start with.

I live for those
The Pit. The Movie.
Powerchords, then really basic scales and show how they sound good together.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by Derek <3's You!
then work on fingering.

This statement is comical when taken out of context.
Gear

Fender Stratocaster in Red.

It's all I need.

The Anti-Anti-Ibanez Militia!
^ that statement is just flat out comical
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Alrighty. yeah i have one of those books lying around from when i first started taking lessons. and no actually the first thing i taught her wasnt smoke on the water any more suggestions are welcome and thanks to everyone who posted so far. and to all those perverted comments...keep em coming
put ur arms around her while she's holding the guitar as if u where helping her take a pool shot then guide her through the motions
Start with open chords, then move on to power chords and then barre chords. Try not to hurry too much, ask her to say when she think she's got it and want to move on.

Quote by Spay
[...]Don't force an acoustic on her, let her choose which axe of yours she wants to use. [...]
is that a metaphor?
make sure she grips the shaft tightly on the guitar neck- her fingers will have to keep moving up and down the fretboard- baby oil may be needed to lubricate the instrument. Don't insert the 1/4 inch Jack into the amplifier input too soon. It may need to be warmed up first.
Quote by BennyStruggle
make sure she grips the shaft tightly on the guitar neck- her fingers will have to keep moving up and down the fretboard- baby oil may be needed to lubricate the instrument. Don't insert the 1/4 inch Jack into the amplifier input too soon. It may need to be warmed up first.

None of that makes sense..............
man, dont post this **** on guitar forums, oneminute you think you're flying high scoring her, then she really gets into guitar and signs onto ug, and sees some dude talking an insanely fimiliar situation, something shes all heard before, then you become the villiage creep and none of her goodies for you.
Quote by BennyStruggle

Quote by goku772
- my gf was giving me a cheezy lap dance with nothing on but a thong when her mom walks in and goes "PUT SOME ****ING CLOTHES ON!!! And the line that hunts my dreams to this day "Im calling your mother young man!".
Quote by BennyStruggle

Best. Advice. EVER!
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
I've just started lessons so heres how mine went

Lesson 1 : Talk about music influences , 12 bar blues

Lesson 2 : Chords, Tuning

Lesson 3 : More Chords

Lesson 4 : Greenday good riddance

Lesson 5 : Greenday good riddance

Lesson 6 : Nirvana come as you are

Lesson 7 : Nirvana come as you are , D standard Tuning

Lesson 8 : Nirvana come as you are , Paranoid Black Sabbath

Though you may want to start teaching her tablature and about frets and strings.
Lesson 9 : lubricating the neck
Quote by goku772
- my gf was giving me a cheezy lap dance with nothing on but a thong when her mom walks in and goes "PUT SOME ****ING CLOTHES ON!!! And the line that hunts my dreams to this day "Im calling your mother young man!".
i remember when I started it went

Open Chords
Strumming Patterns
Fingerpicking
Barre Chords
Songs
Pentatonics
Easy Solos
Wierd rythm exercises
Modes
Improv
I dont really think i should get into Modes to quick though, cuz they just seem to confuse people unless they really know there scales and stuff. and i doubt she will ever go on UG lol. and if she did, shed lauph her ass off at some of the stuff u guys are saying
Quote by Tubyboulin
Should i teach her about Blues? she doesnt really listen to it but its pretty well the basis of everything

If she tries to make anything up it'll probably come out as a bluesy sound, I remember when I started trying to make up my own material I only knew blues scales and I kept getting blues like riffs and sounds. So yeah, by all means, go for it
The Pit. The Movie.
teach her things that are good
R.I.P Samantha

My Gear
Esp Ltd M-400
Randall Rg75W Amp
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Fender Stratocaster
Yamaha something Acoustic
Several other cheap guitars/basses/Amps
some musical theroy and mix some songs in their so she stays interested
#4 of fender armada WOOTWOOT
Hahaha, loving the geeky replies, but.. err ..dude, maybe she's not all that bothered about the guitar playing MAYBE .. just maybe she fancies you and wants to spend time with you?

Do yourself a favour and dont get too geeky with her about playing!

No offence!

As for what to teach her dont worry about fingering exercises (hehe).. just do some green day or summit REAL easy so she knows how it feels to be able to play sumthing REAL and can see a result! after a few EASY songs then start off with some BASIC exercises!! trust!
Quote by Count Seanula
If you want to solo then solo, if he wants to solo then he should solo, if your bassist wants to solo...slap him