I'm gonna start saving for a halfstack soon, but I'm undecided on what I want. I want the good, but not overly expensive $500-1000 wouldn't be a bad price. Actually, just nothing over about $3000. I mostly play everything from Hardcore-Grindcore, Death, and black metal, but I am also going to be playing solo artists songs as well, solo artsit like Michael Angelo, Rusty Cooley, Paul Gilbert, Buckethead, etc. Just an amp that is good for all around stuff, yet still has an incredible Metal tone to it because that's what I'll be using most of the time.
why does everyone feel the need to get a halfstack? its not like it makes you a better guitarist. a combo amp is plenty unless your playing gigantic stadiums. i think people who get halfstacks are compensating for small genitalia.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Randall RX120D by far
its a solid state amp.
beyond loud
great sound quality
lots of built in effects and stuff
i got it for 899$ CDN so its around 700$ american approx.
its amazing, i've had mine for a year now and i loooooove it
Quote by funkbass369
why does everyone feel the need to get a halfstack? its not like it makes you a better guitarist. a combo amp is plenty unless your playing gigantic stadiums. i think people who get halfstacks are compensating for small genitalia.

and thats coming frimm a bass player haha i have a half stack vox 100 watt head and 4 12 inch speakers i got it brand new for like 532 dollars its pretty good
Quote by rocknrollerman
and thats coming frimm a bass player haha i have a half stack vox 100 watt head and 4 12 inch speakers i got it brand new for like 532 dollars its pretty good

im also a guitarist...
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by funkbass369

I wouldn't doubt it...

Look into used Peavey 5150 and JSX combos. It's possible to get a Mesa Mark IV combo for that as well if you look around used.

If you don't want to buy used for some reason, look into the B-52 AT-212.

However, with the $3000 budget, that's a whole other game... Look into Soldano, Bogner, Diezel, ENGL, etc.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Sep 11, 2007,
ahh 3000$ budget i see.
well if you will save up to 3000$, dont buy the RX120D. get something a little better like the Randall RH300G3. my friend has the 150 and its an amazing sounding head. its perfect for metal.
Quote by funkbass369

+10
Quote by funkbass369

+20 & sigged.
Quote by Useful_Idiot16
Haha, this is great. He had $1000, and got a spider. That salesman deserves a god damn medal.

Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD Viper 400
Silvertone SS11 strat copy (possibly modding in future)
Alvarez AD70S acoustic

Amp
Roland Cube 60
umm...wow. $500-$3000 budget is pretty broad....

play anything and everything you can and pick what you like the best?
Quote by funkbass369

half stack push more air...the 4 speakers allow more sound out..allowing you to actually play at a lower volume but fill up a room with sound instead of push the hell out of 2 x12s.....its a better quality...but generally you dont ever need a half stack its a nice feature to have though

but unless your playing a venue or something you dont need one...spend more on a better combo becuase half stacks are expensive
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Quote by mazohysthoney
+20 & sigged.

i'm not in your sig haha
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by funkbass369
i'm not in your sig haha

it was like 8 characters over the limit
Quote by Useful_Idiot16
Haha, this is great. He had $1000, and got a spider. That salesman deserves a god damn medal.

Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD Viper 400
Silvertone SS11 strat copy (possibly modding in future)
Alvarez AD70S acoustic

Amp
Roland Cube 60
Quote by mazohysthoney
it was like 8 characters over the limit

take out the sentence about how it doesn't make you better haha
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Thank you guys for all of your suggestions. I'll look into all of them, by the way, my friend mentioned Kustom amplifiers I messed around with one, but what do you guys think of them?

Quote by funkbass369

Right now I have a $1000 guitar with an amp that is as big as my palm. I need something that will expand the sound because that amp not big enough. I probably won't be playing in gigantic stadiums for a while, but it's nice to know it's there.
^ you could easily play at a gigantic stadium with a palm-sized amp. some amps don't come in combo versions. but if they do, it's probably better value for money, i.e. you could get a better amp in combo form than you could a head + cab

also most combos allow you to add a 4 x 12 anyway, in a lot of cases the combo costs VERY little more than the head alone.. so why not get a combo. best of both worlds, barely any difference in terms of quality and it means you can leave the giant cab behind for smaller gigs and practice.
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by numbfinger
half stack push more air...the 4 speakers allow more sound out..allowing you to actually play at a lower volume but fill up a room with sound instead of push the hell out of 2 x12s.....its a better quality...but generally you dont ever need a half stack its a nice feature to have though

but unless your playing a venue or something you dont need one...spend more on a better combo becuase half stacks are expensive

I find most 2x12's fill the room better, because 2x12 combos are usually openbacked. 4x12's are usually closed back, and makes there sound more focused on one area type of sound IMO.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Be sure to check out the Peavey XXX as well :P, I was going to get a 5150/6505 but I didn't really need an amp quite that big yet so I went with the XXX because it had a 112 combo, pretty sweet amp, at least for what I like.

^^ the 5150/6505 combo is closed back
Gear:
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81/85
Ibanez RG350MP
Fender acoustic (Black)

Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey 6505 212 combo
^ Meh, I said most Combos.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Since I switched to a boogie stack, my penis grew 4 feet.

My combo days are over!

But in all honesty. For $3000, you probably should invest in a stack, they have a fuller tone and you have plenty of cash to buy a good cab. If you wanna spend $2500 on a head, and $500 on a cab, I'd highly recommend a 2x12.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Since I switched to a boogie stack, my penis grew 4 feet.

My combo days are over!

But in all honesty. For $3000, you probably should invest in a stack, they have a fuller tone and you have plenty of cash to buy a good cab. If you wanna spend $2500 on a head, and $500 on a cab, I'd highly recommend a 2x12.

not funny
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele