I've looked at the ibanez models for sometime now. I really like the s prestige models but sadly, i aint got the dough for those beautiful guitars. I was thinking about picking up the new xiphos. For 650 it seemed like a pretty sweet deal, but I've heard complaints about the quality and the bridge. So what can you guys suggest?

I sound like everybody else when I say this, but I'm looking for a good metal guitar.

-thanks
I've only heard bad things bout it though. I suppose i can order it, and if I dont like it, well i'll just send it back
How do you have exactly 996 dollars? Either youre really anal or have saved your allowance to the T for many years.
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
either a 1570 or a 2550e(my choice, solid black with a mirror pickguard and better pickups).

good luck with it.
Gear:
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Pod XT Live
Ibanez AEL20E Acoustic-Electric
Do not get an Xiphos, $650 for a guitar with an Edge III? I don't think so.
I'd go with an S series or an RG Prestige, as mentioned above. Both will leave you with enough money to buy new pickups.

And also the obligatory, what amp do you have?
Oh by the way, I have a **** amp right now. Its a "groove factory", wahtever the hell that is. I'm gonna pick up a roland microcube, I here there pretty sweet, and for 125
I can still get a guitar on top of that. Anyway, I'm not feeling restricted to ibanez, I here they're the best, but they're probably not, any other suggestions guitar wise? (even amp-wise i guess)

-thanks
if you have ~1000 bucks, i'd say
this amp

and this guitar

that guitar is extremely versatile, and the tremolo's actually really good and smooth
Last edited by Chad11491 at Sep 12, 2007,
Quote by Stanovavich
Oh by the way, I have a **** amp right now. Its a "groove factory", wahtever the hell that is. I'm gonna pick up a roland microcube, I here there pretty sweet, and for 125
I can still get a guitar on top of that. Anyway, I'm not feeling restricted to ibanez, I here they're the best, but they're probably not, any other suggestions guitar wise? (even amp-wise i guess)

-thanks

You do know that if you spent most of that on a good amp, and spent the rest on some sort of Les Paul or Strat ripoff you would have a tone that would pwn an expensive guitar + a microcube? It just seems ridiculous to spend that much on a guitar if you are going to stick with a $150 amp. You are almost always far better off spending quite a bit MORE on the AMP than on your guitar. Just a thought.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

used RG550 off of ebay. not the re-issue.
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
Do you want a trem? If not then check into an RGA121, or if you want a trem then I would get an upper level s series since they have a ZR, which is a better trem than you might get on an RG around that price, or you could get a used RG prestige, or even a new one.
I also would not limit myself to ibanez. I used to be strictly an Ibanez player.....that is until I picked up a Schecter! Dont get me wrong...Ibanez has some great guitars out there, but dollar for dollar, I dont think you can beat the Schecter with an ibanez or much anything else for that matter.

My suggestion......try out a C1 blackjack or Exotic. MANY of the other schecters have duncan design pickups........which are typically lacking. The blackjacks have REAL duncans(JB and 59). There is a noticeable difference in sound quality between the real deal and the duncan design stuff. The exotic uses the schecter super rock pickups.....also a very well done pickup for varios styles of play.

The C1 classic also has real JB and 59 duncans. Its a very well made guitar also, but its up to you as to whether or not you like the finish.....the finish is a little over the top for some people.

Also, if you dig more of a strictly metal guitar, check out the C1 hellraiser FR(floyd rose). Its got active EMG 81/85's and a floyd rose.

All of their guitars really are very well made and look very good.....I just couldnt get into some of them with the duncan designed stuff.

Go to this link.
http://www.schecterguitars.com/index.asp

Click on "guitars" at the top of the page and check out the blackjack, the C1 Exotic, the C1 classic, and the hellraisers if you like EMG.

One quick note.....the exotic is listed as the exotic star. I dont like it as much as the plan "exotic"....and the exotic is still out there.....just not on the site? Its the exact same guitar but with a different finish. The regular exotic has a flamed maple top(natural wood), and no star.....just pearl dots. Little more cut and dry, but I like it that way.

In case your wondering, I currently own/use the C1 blackjack and the C1 Exotic. Ignore their list price on the website. Most places have the blackjack for around 550 and the exotic for around 700. Sorry I cant help more with the ibanez.....but I havent bought a new one in a while cause the quality has dropped on many of the models .......and the price is too high for the ones that are as good as all of them used to be.

Last one I played was a newer S series at guitar center.....HORRIBLE in comparison to what the S series used to be. They feel like toys now. Had an older S420 that I kick myself for getting rid of. You KNEW you were playin a guitar when you played that thing. Id imagine the newer, high priced prestige ones compare to what the regular S series stuff used to be in terms of feel and build quality.
To hear what can be done with a pretty bare bones computer home studio, minimal cash and lots of time.....visit http://myspace.com/redlightcrisis I play the guitar on the tracks and take care of recording duties.
Last edited by greg_moreira at Sep 12, 2007,
Quote by guitar_infidel

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the reissue. I own one its amazing.

Its just way more expensive
Quote by greg_moreira
I also would not limit myself to ibanez. I used to be strictly an Ibanez player.....that is until I picked up a Schecter! Dont get me wrong...Ibanez has some great guitars out there, but dollar for dollar, I dont think you can beat the Schecter with an ibanez or much anything else for that matter.

My suggestion......try out a C1 blackjack or Exotic. MANY of the other schecters have duncan design pickups........which are typically lacking. The blackjacks have REAL duncans(JB and 59). There is a noticeable difference in sound quality between the real deal and the duncan design stuff. The exotic uses the schecter super rock pickups.....also a very well done pickup for varios styles of play.

The C1 classic also has real JB and 59 duncans. Its a very well made guitar also, but its up to you as to whether or not you like the finish.....the finish is a little over the top for some people.

Also, if you dig more of a strictly metal guitar, check out the C1 hellraiser FR(floyd rose). Its got active EMG 81/85's and a floyd rose.

All of their guitars really are very well made and look very good.....I just couldnt get into some of them with the duncan designed stuff.

Go to this link.
http://www.schecterguitars.com/index.asp

Click on "guitars" at the top of the page and check out the blackjack, the C1 Exotic, the C1 classic, and the hellraisers if you like EMG.

One quick note.....the exotic is listed as the exotic star. I dont like it as much as the plan "exotic"....and the exotic is still out there.....just not on the site? Its the exact same guitar but with a different finish. The regular exotic has a flamed maple top(natural wood), and no star.....just pearl dots. Little more cut and dry, but I like it that way.

In case your wondering, I currently own/use the C1 blackjack and the C1 Exotic. Ignore their list price on the website. Most places have the blackjack for around 550 and the exotic for around 700. Sorry I cant help more with the ibanez.....but I havent bought a new one in a while cause the quality has dropped on many of the models .......and the price is too high for the ones that are as good as all of them used to be.

Last one I played was a newer S series at guitar center.....HORRIBLE in comparison to what the S series used to be. They feel like toys now. Had an older S420 that I kick myself for getting rid of. You KNEW you were playin a guitar when you played that thing. Id imagine the newer, high priced prestige ones compare to what the regular S series stuff used to be in terms of feel and build quality.

Bah but I hate schecter necks.

And agreed about the New S series. They make me unbelievably angry.
Quote by Ibanez20th
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the reissue. I own one its amazing.

Its just way more expensive

Highly Agreed, The necks are better because they are reinforced with metal rods. I own one, and my god, what a great guitar. If i end up buying a new guitar either a PGM, JEM, or a J.Custom. But thats my $0.02.
FlickR
iBanez Rg550 20th Anniversary.
iBanez GRG170DX W/ Dimarzio Steve's Special
VTM 60 Tube Head
Carvin Legacy Vai Cabinet 4x12 Cabinet
Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
ZW-44 Overdrive
Zakk Wylde Signiture Wah
Quote by guitar_infidel

You realize the reissue is the exact same guitar with a much better neck?
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
^well actually there are a few differences. The neck joint is much worse on teh old models.
The pickups also have less output.
Like I said the only plus is they are way way cheaper.
RG550 reissue hands down
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
Quote by winno
The RG550 re-issue also has some cutaway neck thing, like at the point where the neck joins to the body, it has a cutaway to access higher frets easier.

I really wanna get one, they seem so awesome.

the original 550 has the same neck cutout. They switched to the AANJ in 1994. Which is just as good as the cutaway (if not a little better) for upper fret access. However they aslso swichtech to the Wizard II (which is not as good as original Wizard)

edit: the actual neck pocket is different however. The originals were like warmoth guitars with bassicaly a 22fret neck with an extended fretboard. The new ones actually go all the way to the end.
Last edited by Ibanez20th at Sep 13, 2007,
get used js1200 satch signature..
so versatile and it screams
I'm a proud owner of
Gibson SG Standard Heritage Cherry
Epiphone Zakk Wylde Buzz Saw sig w/ EMG 81/85
Squire crap
Fender American Deluxe Jazz bass
ESP/LTD TA-600 Tom Araya sig bass
Vox AD30VT
Fender Bassman 100
Line6 POD X3