Sorry for posting another one of these threads, but I really don't know how to try out each of these amps, and if I ever got the chance to do so, I wouldn't know what to look for! So therefore, I thought I'd head here so that you can throw some wisdom my way.

The stuff I listen to and play are music in the ways of Metallica, Arch Enemy, Children of Bodom, Dark Tranquility, In Flames, Slipknot, Rammstein, System of a Down (no bashing either of these here, please) - the list could go on. I also play in a band, and the sound of us can be found on our myspace page in my sig.

I don't really know what I'd like to get out of the amp.. I'm just looking for THAT tone for both lead and rythm, but I have no idea how to find it or what it sounds like. I'm not that much after a tone for thrash, more in the lines of death metal.. I don't want to sound like every other new hardcore band in this era (at least there's plenty from around here), so I want something to make me stand out a bit from the masses too. Versatility is always great, but it's worth sacrificing some cleans for great distortion. You're getting some idea of where I'm heading now?

At this point, I'd love to get some suggestions as to what amp I'm looking for! I've heard lots of good stuff 'bout all of the amps in the title, so I've got no idea where I'm heading. I've never really played tubes either, but I still know it's a tube I want, from all that I've heard. Don't know what to add more than this, I guess it's long enough already.. So now - please keep the suggestions coming, or tell me if I've forgotten to mention something..

Thanks in advance!

[EDIT] I'm preferably looking for a used amp, seeing as they're cheaper... Does this add any certain, serious problems, or will I just have to check the amp well, as always when buying something used?[/EDIT]
Last edited by Tuneman at Sep 11, 2007,
For heavier Death Metal (Bodom) the 5150 will give you the gain you need and the low end crunch to get you going.
For thrashier sounds (Metallica ala MOP) then a JCM 800 is your prime choice. The 800 is literally what made Metallica's tone. It might/might not to Death Metal AS well as the 5150, but it WILL do it very well on its own.

Each amp has its own characteristsics. Its all personal preferance. Example: I cant stand the JCM 800, but I love the 900. People think im nuts, but its just what I want as a tone.

If yoiure serious about getting one of these amps, narrow down your choices and TRY it before you BUY it!
I'd chceck out the 5150 or the Fireball.

Especially for the bands you listed.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
get the 5150 or the valve king (suprise) id actually reccomned a valve king cuz its incredibly versitle
ya, i think the jcm's are dam nice.

but i think i realy like 5150's. i dunno, in my mind theyre cleans are really not that bad. but they have sick distortion. great low end growl and real real crunchy and definetly got a great sound for lead.

i dunno about the engl though. so...ya
[B]Member of the Orange Revolution Club. Buy an Orange to join.
Member #16 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.
Yeah, of course I'll try the amp out before setting a deal, but as you said, I need to narrow my list down..

As I have read around pretty much lately I do know the basics, such as the JCM for Metallica tone and so on, forgot to add that.. But on a more detailed level, or what to call it, that's where I'm getting lost. Thing is I found a used ENGL Fireball for 'bout 1050$ (keep in mind prices are high here in Sweden), but before getting my ass out and trying that one, I thought I'd ask for advice here.

But the bottom line of your reply seems to be that I really will have to try most of those out..
Yes. Honeslty, if you start to try out stuff, youll eventually find an amp thats really comfortable and has the tone youre looking for. Ive played a Mesa Dual Rectifier that I absolutly hated. It sounded too artificial and lackless to be an amp I would play. Then again, im picky about tone.

What im trying to say is, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Because a bunch of people say its good, it probably is, but you may not like it. So to make 100% absolutly sure hat that amp is the right one, you seriously DO need to try it.
However, the 5150 is ABOUT what you are looking for, but you never know
You may want to try a 6505+ too. It's the newer 5150, but I prefer its tone. I don't know if they changed them at all, but theres something about the 6505+ I prefer.
Then I'll get around to trying a 5150 as soon as I can find one But what about the 6505/6505+? What's the difference between that one and a 5150? And also, how does the XXX do what I'm looking for, as I may be able to get a cheap deal on one of those.
I'd probably go for the Engl, but I really can't stress enough that you try before you buy.

Oh, I love a cranked JCM as much as the next man but it just won't cut it. Same for the Orange Rocker. It's higher gain than the JCM and that won't cut it either.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by guitarted
You may want to try a 6505+ too. It's the newer 5150, but I prefer its tone. I don't know if they changed them at all, but theres something about the 6505+ I prefer.

Maybe the seperate EQ's for each channel
I'd just like to note...

The amps that "literally made" the Metallica sound was not a Marshall. Rather, it was a Mesa/Boogie Mark IIC+. Listen to Ride the Lightning, then to Master of Puppets. Notice the difference? That's because RtL was recorded with JCM's, whereas MoP is Boogie tone.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Quote by Striketalonx
I'd just like to note...

The amps that "literally made" the Metallica sound was not a Marshall. Rather, it was a Mesa/Boogie Mark IIC+. Listen to Ride the Lightning, then to Master of Puppets. Notice the difference? That's because RtL was recorded with JCM's, whereas MoP is Boogie tone.

I swear Metallica used JCM800's on Master Of Puppets...?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
6505+ = 5150 II
6505 = 5150

if i remember correctly, the "+" or "II" has an additional tube in the preamp.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Kivarenn82
6505+ = 5150 II
6505 = 5150

if i remember correctly, the "+" or "II" has an additional tube in the preamp.

Yup, this extra preamp valve gives the amp more headroom- ala. SLIGHTLY nicer cleans.
This and the extra EQ are the only differences
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Jinskee
I'd chceck out the 5150 or the Fireball.

Especially for the bands you listed.

word. which you prefer is basically personal preference; the engl has nicer cleans, but if you prefer the distortion of the 5150, that won't really be much of a consolation. the 5150 will probably do the less metal overdrive/distortions, that you may or may not need, better than the fireball too.

I'm just not too much of a fan of the fireball to be honest... it's very much one clean channel, and one death metal channel with nothing really in-between... of course, that sounds like what you're after, so you may love it.

Might as well try the jcm2000 too, in case you like it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Whatever the bands sound on their records, you only get close but never get the same sound. I dont know about Peavy and Engl, but for a classic trash sound you could try out a JCM 800 with an OD (or EQ) to boost it. In my opinion you would need an OD for that JCM or crank it to an insane level. I think Death and Six Feet Under also used JCM 800 for their recordings and the mighty Slayer of course. However, the newer Marshalls (such as DSL or TSL) are more versatile and you would be able to get that classic death/trash sound and even more without pedals.
id say either a mesa or a JCM 900 (higher gain than the 800) but not as much as the mesa's. I only play metal for a bit of fun to warm my fingers up etc and a cranked jcm900 with some more overdrive via an eq boost or OD pedal gets a siiiick metal tone.
Gibson SG (Heavily modded)
Fender USA Strat
Hohner 12 String-uber rare

Fender Silverface Twin

EHX Big Muff
Digitech badmonkey overdrive
Boss DS-1
Blackstar Distortion X
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Delay
Digitech Whammy
Out of those, I'd choose the Fireball. I own a 5150 and it leaves much to be desired, which is why I'm selling it. (Imo) the Fireball will more than likely sound more defined, which is something I really don't enjoy on my 5150, it can sound a bit muddy at times.

However, try looking for a Mesa Mark IV, that should get you any tone you ever wanted.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
IMO, JCM 800's (the only ones I really like) need to be cranked to ballz to give you the sweetness.

I've started to fade away from my 5150 and amps of that kind of sound. I don't want to scream bees, but it just doesn't seem focused enough for my needs.

I've tried the Powerball and Fireball, I loooove the FB. On the "Buy" list for sure. Sooo...out of those, I'd say Fireball.
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Quote by MatrixClaw
Out of those, I'd choose the Fireball. I own a 5150 and it leaves much to be desired, which is why I'm selling it. (Imo) the Fireball will more than likely sound more defined, which is something I really don't enjoy on my 5150, it can sound a bit muddy at times.

+1

Out of those amps I'd choose the Fireball, hands down. Versatility it lacks, as it only really has 2 sounds but both are amazing imo. It has perfect voicing for the sounds I'm going for and I'm pretty sure it isn't far from what you want either. Try it though, to see if it's lack of versatility is something you don't like (and I'm pretty sure that's all you won't like )

Also beware of band wagon jumping, 5150/6505 seem to be the amp of the moment around here so they get rave reviews by everyone, even people who have never played them.