My friend and I have a band going, but I don't feel like I contribute much..

I play guitar, and my friend plays bass, sings, and writes songs (and we have a few people in mind for drummers).

he'll come over and say "i have a new song" and he'll have the lyrics (which he'll sing..because I can't) and then he'll also have a bass part, which he usually wants me to just follow in power chords.

So what should I do? Am I really useful at all? I write riffs and everything...but they never go anywhere since he makes lyrics and he already has bass lines for them.
I don't know why Mac users get so defensive when you call them idiots. I mean, Apple is a company that has built its entire user base around the fact that its users can't do simple things like turn their computers on.
try and just jam for a day and show him your riffs and try to make song together
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
you could make yourself useful in other ways, like offering to use your house for practices, book shows, etc. Other than that just work on your own songwriting/singing and it will improve, I promise
Quote by sashki
A lot of pros do that: if they play a wrong note, they'll hit it again to make it look as if it's intentional. It's called "jazz", aparently.

Member #12 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
well it looks like youll only need to play power chords with that blink 182 icon, but you can write some riffs that you could play in the intros and maybe a solo here and there but have him write the songs and bass parts with you and you can agree on guitar parts, etc.
you want to be useful?

stop playing punk and practice a little. the rest will work itself out.
"Love truth, Pardon error."-Voltaire

My Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Gibson Black Beauty
Schecter Avenger
Mesa Triple Rectifier
Marshal 1962 4X12 cab
Dunlop Jazz III's
I don't actually play that much punk (anymore) lately I've been getting into heavier music...I'm just too lazy to change the blink 182 pic. (plus it took a good 2-5 mins to make)
I don't know why Mac users get so defensive when you call them idiots. I mean, Apple is a company that has built its entire user base around the fact that its users can't do simple things like turn their computers on.
its like my old band, my bassist would write all the lyrics and i would just follow. the designated song write changed to me as we changed to more guitar oriented rock
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
Quote by ThroughtheHaze
you want to be useful?

Fuck You

To Ts: Sometimes the best thing you can do is nothing. If he's comfortable writing all the songs and they sound good, then let him. If you want to feel more creative, write your own songs or help him.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Last edited by element4433 at Sep 27, 2008,
Have you ever gone like "I have this riff I would like to work into a song"?
Do you write your own solos?
Have you ever tried, you know, not just doing power chords?
As far as skill levels go...are you guys at relatively the same skill level, or is he better? This is kinda the way my rythym guitarist and I were back in the day...I eventually picked up guitar, and took over lead. (Largely due to his support when I was dicking around with a guitar in a guitar shop.)

It's possible that the bass player just needs you to be there to play a fill out the sound.
record the bass part on whatever you have. most cheap mp3s have some type of recorder built in. so record what he plays on bass, take it home and riff on top of it. keep playing his part over and over, and play on top of it til you come up with something that fits. if you can follow what he's doing with powerchords then you can probably figure out what notes he is playing. you play notes that sort of go along with it and then you should be able to figure it out on your own in time. just take a crash coarse in music theory... at least with chords and how notes work together. then you might be able to add more to the band. good luck
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
Work on writing a song, or song arrangement based around your riffs if you want, than bring that to the bassist. Sometimes a riff just won't go with a song, I've got 100's of guitar riffs which I've never done anything with because either they won't fit in smoothly with anything, or I just haven't had time to come up with ideas to build around them.
just try coming up with stuff and show him, it doesnt really matter if you write anything or not.
(\__/)
(='.'=)Help the Bunny
(")_(")
Simply show those bass people that the power really lies with THE GUITARIST. Learn to sing man.
Quote by death_metaller
**** burzum XD

there i said it...kinda

edit: i do realise they are not here...so i kinda didnt say it...

fail
Try getting a second guitarist, so you can play lead guitar and the other can play rhythm. Then everybody will be able to contribute a bit more, especially if you get the rhythm guitarist to write with the bassist so they can follow each other with rhythms.
Unless you are causing disruption in the band, chances are, you're being useful in some way. This could simply be by having equipment for other members to use, pushing the band to record or play gigs, or whatever. If you are in a band that relatively works, you are usefull, simple as, otherwise the band would fall apart.
Make heartmelting solos, and write a couple of small bass solos for him.
"The end result - the music - is all that counts"
Quote by ThroughtheHaze
you want to be useful?

agreed! punk music is so annoying, all they do is complain about the government. you know what? if you really hate it that much, move out of the country and see how you like it. ****ing idiots.
Quote by bassguitargirl9
agreed! punk music is so annoying, all they do is complain about the government. you know what? if you really hate it that much, move out of the country and see how you like it. ****ing idiots.

what an ignorant spackhead. if its what u like then play it and noone has any right to judge you.

anyway, dont feel like your not doing anything, cuz i can garentee that you are. it may not be musically but you are needed and usefull, cuz if you werent then you wouldnt be in a band!
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
Quote by vonfeldt7
My friend and I have a band going, but I don't feel like I contribute much..

I play guitar, and my friend plays bass, sings, and writes songs (and we have a few people in mind for drummers).

he'll come over and say "i have a new song" and he'll have the lyrics (which he'll sing..because I can't) and then he'll also have a bass part, which he usually wants me to just follow in power chords.

So what should I do? Am I really useful at all? I write riffs and everything...but they never go anywhere since he makes lyrics and he already has bass lines for them.

If he's insisting on doing all that, then you have nothing to feel uncomfortable about. It not like you wouldn't contribute if he'd let you.
But if you really wanna contribute more writing wise, tell him you're planning a solo side project and ask him to help you with some of the writing. You should end up with some material that you have both contributed to, then you just turn around to him and say you've changed your mind, you'd rather the band did this material instead of recording it yourself.
If he's OK with that, he'll probably also realise that he doesn't have to do all the writing and involve you more in future.
Just look for new ways to improve your overall sound. Like alot of people said work on an intro or some solos. Take a the parts he brings to you and improve upon them.

If what your playing is mostly powerchords then work on ways to make it sound more interesting. Like play a power chord and then hammer and pull of half of the notes in that chord to the next or slide or whatever.

Dont worry about not playing powerchords for the sake of not playing powerchords. If you can make em sound interesting thats all that matters.

Try throwing in pinch harmonics or heavy palm muted riffs or anything to make the songs stand out more. Talk to your bassist and find out what direction he wants to take the songs in and understand. Write songs of your own, write lyrics whatever.

If all else fails book gigs, and find drummer and possibly 2nd guitarists.
Experiment with chords and melodies. You're the guitarist, that's your job.
learn another instrument to contribute like keyboard
try learning how to sing a little so that you can do background vocals
write songs and show them to him
My Gear
  • Squier Jazz Bass
  • Ibanez Gio GAX Bass
  • Yamaha F-130 Acoustic Guitar
  • Epiphone SG special edition Guitar
  • Traynor Bass Mate 25
  • Boss ME-20B
  • Boss OBD-3
This thread is over a year old. I'm sure he's moved on or figured out his problem by now.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433
This thread is over a year old. I'm sure he's moved on or figured out his problem by now.

According to the date on the first post, it's just under a year old, still, that's just me being pedantic.

I really must remember to check the dates on these threads before answering them, it turns out that bassguitargirl9 simply revived this thread to agree with someone else who doesn't like punk rock.
Jeez, there can't be many that don't like punk if she had to search back almost a year to find someone to agree with.
Quote by bassguitargirl9
i didn't search for it, i stumbled across it and wanted to voice my opinion. end of story.

Fair enough.

You're still relatively on your own in your opinion though.

It's worth mentioning that many other musical genres also have songs that complain about government just as some punk songs do, and that the majority of punk music is non political.