Page 1 of 2
my friends and i are making a horror movie for school. are there any aspiring filmmakers out there to give us a few tips?
Go Veg.
yeah make it as scary as you can be and add some scary music.
I'll believe in anything and you'll believe in anything.
last.fm
make it scary and put in some buttse cks
Quote by its_alive
Lighten up.

The Pit>Professionals

Quote by meh!
Wow, the rape wagon. The wagon sounds like the best wagon in town
gore=good
more gore = more good
and so on from there

and be creative with how you kill people.
Quote by Dimebag22
This might just be the smartest guy in The Pit. I didn't believe Ethan when he told me there were smart people in The Pit But I was wrong.

yeah, thats me

member 42 of the Iron Maiden are gods club. PM revelations to join
Gore and sex, instant win.

I wish modern horror movies were actually scary...
Quote by thewho65
What if I want my c*ck to smell like an egg roll?

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
i got a tip: don't.
Quote by Briyan_15
I think this man has a reputation to defend and "poop head" is not in that reputation.

Quote by omegasus
RUSSELL! WHAT THE ****!!!!
dude in the begining, build up tension, (with slow camera and actor movements, slow music, slowly increasing in dynamics) like someone walking around a corner really slowly to investigate a strange noise at night...

but then when everyone expects something scary, make it something not scary...

and then do something similar later on, but make the thing really scary this time.

so the second time the audience is more relaxed, and subliminally doesnt expect the scare.

whatever, im tired, cant really put it into words, but i hope you got that!
Quote by Alter-Bridge
My nipples. WHAT ARE THEY FOR?!?!?!?!
Quote by nick dixon
Put your penis in a raging hot fire, that should melt the bottle off
Quote by Leonheart
4e574e57363g, despite your first post on a thread almost always being PWNT you kickass.
Quote by Mr_BTP
gore=good
more gore = more good
and so on from there

and be creative with how you kill people.

That's not a horror movie, that's a slasher flick, there's a difference.

But if you WANT a slasher flick, have a scene in which one guy holds another guy down, and cuts his ass cheeks open with a meat cleaver, and then have him **** the cut. When he's done, show his dick.. Which will be pink, as a mixture of blood and semen.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
That's not a horror movie, that's a slasher flick, there's a difference.

But if you WANT a slasher flick, have a scene in which one guy holds another guy down, and cuts his ass cheeks open with a meat cleaver, and then have him **** the cut. When he's done, show his dick.. Which will be pink, as a mixture of blood and semen.

dude wtf??

MarijuanaBandit was right!
Quote by Alter-Bridge
My nipples. WHAT ARE THEY FOR?!?!?!?!
Quote by nick dixon
Put your penis in a raging hot fire, that should melt the bottle off
Quote by Leonheart
4e574e57363g, despite your first post on a thread almost always being PWNT you kickass.
Quote by 4e574e57363g
dude wtf??

MarijuanaBandit was right!

About what? If this is involving my having 'issues', that's not really true. I just have a wonderful imagination.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Sep 12, 2007,
is it a creature if so dont show wat it looks like but if u do make the screen dark so its harder to see
We fear violence less than our own feelings. Personal, private, solitary pain is more terrifying than what anyone else can inflict.
Jim Morrison
Quote by pAmpH
I always wanted to make a serious horror movie, but nobody would take me seriously

They would if people would listen to my advice.

I wanted to make a movie involving a giant drummer spider, and me as a rapper, though.. And no one would take that seriously. It was a musical.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by Jack Off Jill

I wanted to make a movie involving a giant drummer spider, and me as a rapper, though.. And no one would take that seriously. It was a musical.

lol id watch a movie with a spider drummer...that would be awsome..
but not rly if it was a musical....
We fear violence less than our own feelings. Personal, private, solitary pain is more terrifying than what anyone else can inflict.
Jim Morrison
Quote by ninja dude
lol id watch a movie with a spider drummer...that would be awsome..
but not rly if it was a musical....

No.. You don't understand. It's a hip-hop musical.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by Jack Off Jill
No.. You don't understand. It's a hip-hop musical.

lol maybe..
Jim Morrison
Quote by Jack Off Jill

I'd Pay too watch that!
Gore
Humour
Naked Ladies

Try to to be too cliche seriously. Zombies is always the best.
Quote by TheIceCreamMan
Watch "The Grudge". That's what not to do.

I totally agree with everything this man just said
add in a stupid bitch like all horror movies. uno, the one where ur like "y the **** did u just do that"
since you're making it for school I have an idea, but u have to give me and RNRsoldier credit cause we came up with this

So there is this school, and one of the classes has no teacher, or room number, and when the kids find the room and enter it... they experience death... it has samuel L. Jackson as the star. and at the end before the credits, Slash is standing there says '**** ya!' And then plays a solo through the credits...
Quote by bpoeoanry
go back to sleep
Waking up with boobs? Is there a visine for that.
Don't make people move slowly to build tension -- have tension inherent in the story you pick.

If someone (the bad guy) is running, and someone (the good girl) is walking, don't let the girl get away. Make your characters pay for their mistakes.

Don't make the person who's really helpful turn out to be the bad guy. It's too obvious.

Make your characters distinct, and let each one have his/her own mission. Example: "Psycho." We can't forget Norman Bates, since he's so unique. And we can't forget Janet Leigh's character, because she has her own issues. Don't make a characters simply to promote the story -- they have to be able to stand on their own.

Violence is okay if it supports the story. But if violence IS the story, it's not going to work, unless you're writing "Seven," which you're not, because Andrew Kevin Walker already did it.

Same with tits.

Humour is good. Dark humour is best.

The more realistic you can make the story seem, the better the audience will respond to it. Similarly, simplicity can be good -- complexity can get confusing. Though there are exceptions to this rule.

And, perhaps most importantly of all: MAKE SURE EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON. Anything that seems arbitrary will DIE on screen.

For tips on screenwriting in general, I'd recommend going here: http://www.wordplayer.com/columns/welcome.html It's a screenwriting site run by Terry Rossio, who co-wrote Shrek, Pirates of the Caribbean, Aladdin, The Mask of Zorro, and several other movies. He knows what he's doing, and teaches it to us very well.

Good luck.
Can't stop the signal.
Have a ton of Macguffins... I don't know if that's how it's spelled.

Anyway, it's a trick Hitchcock used to do. He'd have some kind of object, say a HAT, that the audience would focus their attention on, while key elements of the plot were slipping by the audience.
Quote by vintage x metal

i guess most modern horror/slasher films show too much too soon.

you also wouldn't want to make things predictable, keep em guessing. its almost like a chick with a smokin body, but has a stubble, what lies beneath?
Script everything before you start.
Don't let your actors 'improvise', direct them with a firm hand so you get the exact reaction you want.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

The killer has to always walk, and everyone he tries to kill has to run up stairs and barracade the doors and then get a gun and shoot the killer. Then they need to drop the gun and do some deep breathing while the killer slowly rises holding his knife and then lunges at her. The end.
Quote by someguitarguy88
Dodging? Pansy. We don't dodge where i come from.

As for the pain factor, just get used to the pain. Punch various objects such as walls, trees, floors, your mother, rocks, table etc. Just generally anything hard.
bro while minor charcters are having sex... try killing them while thay're under a table or in a place where no one can see them or know they're there... they arent allowed to sort of thing... if that makes any sense
Metallica is god, you're a boring sod!
u all are amateurs in making horror movies. which makes like 20 of us. BUT i have seen a lot of scary movies, and this is what i've found:
gore does NOT equal more scarier. it equals more cringing and more people saying EWWW.
pop ups (scenes when it just jumps at you) are good for a cheap scare, but don't overuse them or you'll just piss off the audience
don't go overboard with blood.
aim for more 'play on your mind' type horror. that is the true meaning of fear. use tricks and weird lighting effects, and fast flashes of things and focus more on physcological torturing then physical.
and there u have a winner.
i want to make a film now.....but im too lazy and my camcorder is broken
Quote by rich_sg
Oh come on Emz, the thread is who's your favorite UG'er, not MOST FAVORITE IN THE WHOLE WORLD!

Elecktra Of The UG Hero's And Villian's Club Pm josh999x To Join

The proud owner of [x]Huffy[x]

Quote by Heafyman
You Jackass_babe are cool.
invent the next greatest antagonist. Do we really need to see Micheal Myers in another Halloween movie?
Quote by B3low3mpty
invent the next greatest antagonist. Do we really need to see Micheal Myers in another Halloween movie?

yes. we do.

haha, seriously though, id rather see a new, new Halloween instead of another Friday the 13th. A killer in space just isnt scary.

my friends and i made "Paperbag Man" which was, obviously my friend with a paper bag over his head with holes cut out for the eyes and mouth. as silly as it sounds, it was kind of creepy sometimes. the movie ended up not really being scary and i almost died testing out the "hanging scene"
TS, do you have a plot so far?
Quote by rich_sg
Oh come on Emz, the thread is who's your favorite UG'er, not MOST FAVORITE IN THE WHOLE WORLD!

Elecktra Of The UG Hero's And Villian's Club Pm josh999x To Join

The proud owner of [x]Huffy[x]

Quote by Heafyman
You Jackass_babe are cool.
yeah, gore's all good, but without a good story, ur ****ed. oh, and include lots of knife fights! oh, and ditch love scenes! oh, and make it very unexpecting! if it were my horror movie, i'd make it kinda motion camera cloverfield type thing. no music tho. make it real unexpected! 2 guys in a bar just talkin, suddenly, one just turns a knife into their skull. FUK YEAH!!!
Page 1 of 2