well school's a bitch and i weight lift a ton too so i only really can have 1-2 hours for guitar every day, and to get i need to go to bed later so im only getting about 5-6 hours of sleep... anyone know of how horrible the effects of that much of a lack of sleep can be on my playing?
Lack of sleep just makes you feel like **** in general. I'd recommend cutting back on the weight lifting a bit. You really only need to work out once every three days, as long as you get some cardio in every day.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by guitarmageddon0
well school's a bitch and i weight lift a ton too so i only really can have 1-2 hours for guitar every day, and to get i need to go to bed later so im only getting about 5-6 hours of sleep... anyone know of how horrible the effects of that much of a lack of sleep can be on my playing?

You only have school for 5-6 hours?

I always do a half-ass job when I don't get enough sleep, so even if I did have more time to practice/workout, it wouldn't be beneficial.
Patrick Star of The Jelly fishing Club PM darkstar2644 to Join
I'm a borderline insomniac, and a night owl by nature, so I'm pretty familiar with this one.

Lack of sleep can cause inability to concentrate, irritability, nervousness, weight gain, memory lapse and I think it was Hitler's mad doctors in concentration camps that proved lack of sleep can cause insanity. Sometimes if I'm running on 2 hours sleep a night I find myself wandering around with no idea what I went to the kitchen for...

Right now that's a bit of a problem, several neighbors have dogs that seem to want to bark all night, that keeps me awake till 2 or 3 am, then wakes me up again after no more than 2 or 2 1/2 hours...nobody, even the local police, seem to be willing to do anything about it, and if I try to talk to the neighbors they refuse to admit their dog is a nuisance. "He's a good dog he don't bother nobody"...is the first comment I always hear. I gave up trying to talk to neighbors, they also refuse to believe you CAN teach a dog to be quiet at night. And once they wake me up it takes up to 2 hours to get back to sleep, if I can at all.

So I'm in a house where I can sit in my bedroom and hear the guy next door talking on his front porch, and at least 7 dogs want to bark off and on all day and night, one right next door 20 feet away and LOUD, I have to sleep whenever I get an hour of quiet. It's not fun, I'm a grumpy old fart 90% of the time, can't think straight for 2 hours after I wake up, get ticked off pretty easy, half the time I'm a nervous wreck...

Sleep deprivation very closely resembles stress, and is actually a form of stress itself. In a lot of high pressure professions where stress is a big problem I think lack of sleep is most likely the biggest contributing factor to stress, and then perpetuates it. They feed each other. Stress makes it hard to sleep, lack of sleep causes or aggravates stress...

If you have to have an alarm clock to wake up and feel drugged when you do, you're not getting enough sleep. Change your schedule and routine a bit and add an hour of sleep. Get a short nap during the day if possible. A half hour should be fine, I can get a 10 minute doze and be good to go. You should be able to wake up without a clock and should not feel like a zombie when you wake up. Groggy, maybe but you should not feel like some creature from the night of the living dead.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Pete,

I feel for you and being an IT guy, I work nights some. I just finished a gig with a client that had me working odd times for about five months. It has been a month since completing that contract and my sleep schedule is still not back to normal. Last night, I went to bed at 1:00am and I got up at 6:00am so its not too bad. I do know if I got any less sleep, I would be in trouble for sure.

Hang in there all you night owls!

Chris
I have slight difficulties at sleep since I'm young. Altho it's much better then it was before, it still happens sometimes(last night*cough*). I can remember about a year or two ago, I would have problems falling asleep almost every night. From my experience, the most common effects of lack of sleep are irritability, which leads at being mad all day long and giving up on things after barely 2 minutes. There's also stress, which leads in you having more problems sleeping. I remember I would let's say wake up at 2-3 pm, be tired all day long, go back to bed at around 5 am and I wouldn't fall asleep until 7 am. Now I wake up earlier and go to bed much earlier too, which helped a lot. On guitar side, I think it would affect your playing, irritability makes you give up fast, and you probably wouldn't play as good as you would when you got a full sleep(musclewise and probably brainwise too). Would you weight light as good when you're lacking sleep as when you're in full shape, or do anything that involves working your muscles? I think there would be your answer.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Last edited by Spike6sic6 at Sep 12, 2007,