I just want to know a few good resources on where I can find out about how to start creating my own riffs, and what scales to play, pattern examples....like dimebag style stuff. I'm really motivated to learn some things that will help me to thrash around more efficiently. I can do it a little bit already but I seriously don't what I'm doing. I need lessons really. Anyways anyone think they can help, maybe someone that can really thrash, imagine your playing and I walk up to you and I ask, What exactly are you doing are you playing scales or whaaaa?
um well dime didn't really know much theory. check out the lessons on this site.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
look up the "circle of fifths" on google, it should give you a start.
Up the Irons

Jackson RR5
Peavy valveking212
Zakk Wylde distortion
Crybaby from hell.
You're gonna have to learn ALL theory to learn this so called "metal theory"
some scales are used in metal more often; check out the Aeolian scale, phyrigian, and if you're feeling Yngwie-esque, give diminished a shot too.
But first, learn all of your scales and chord formations.
"Love truth, Pardon error."-Voltaire

My Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Gibson Black Beauty
Schecter Avenger
Mesa Triple Rectifier
Marshal 1962 4X12 cab
Dunlop Jazz III's
riffs are easy. SUPER HUGE PURE WIN SHRED RIFFS are hard. Solos, well, that my friend requires UBER SKILL. at least theory skill. I still cant make a metal solo. Ive come up with soem good pentatonic jazz solos, but i hate jazz lol
Basically, play what sounds good to YOU. As long as it's heavy, of course. You can throw some delicate stuff in there, but make sure it comes crashing down shortly afterwards
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by APE20
I just want to know a few good resources on where I can find out about how to start creating my own riffs, and what scales to play, pattern examples....like dimebag style stuff. I'm really motivated to learn some things that will help me to thrash around more efficiently. I can do it a little bit already but I seriously don't what I'm doing. I need lessons really. Anyways anyone think they can help, maybe someone that can really thrash, imagine your playing and I walk up to you and I ask, What exactly are you doing are you playing scales or whaaaa?

learning dimebag stuff is just

taking a step back in metal
seriosly

scales modes definatley
learn abunch of foreign and exotic scales too
master power chords in every shape
and get a metal distortion pedal

and ya might as well paint le` guitar black
Quote by metul kult
You know when Attack Attack is ripping off your music, you're onto something

twitter: @victorstaygold
yeah, dime didnt know ****, but he was the ****. so if you wanna learn how to do the dime thing, get his riffer madness book thing, very helpful, almost entirely written by him. and theory is general, there is no metal theory (or jazz or blues or classical) which is a common mistake, thats how you order notes, the attitude, and the tones which make it metal, jazz, etc. so therefore, learn it all