I just need help choosing. Intuition tells me The LP, but I've heard good things about the G-400. Will be playing stuff from Modest Mouse - Dashboard, Nirvana - In Bloom, Teen Spirit, Heart Shaped Box, to Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name of.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard

Epiphone G-400 Deluxe Electric Guitar (No Pickguard) (Honeyburst)

Need a speedy answer, thanks in advanced!
Quote by smirnoff_black
Have you ever done this before? It's freakin' sweet! Earlier today, I was bored as hell just laying on my bed. I had an erection, so I started to use my penis as a gear stick and I was pretending I was driving. Has anyone else here ever tired this?
Quote by gagnerants
Amp?

Vox AD30VT
Quote by smirnoff_black
Have you ever done this before? It's freakin' sweet! Earlier today, I was bored as hell just laying on my bed. I had an erection, so I started to use my penis as a gear stick and I was pretending I was driving. Has anyone else here ever tired this?
honestly look at a jag or a mustang, but if your set on those two I'd say the g-400 but be sure to play it at the shop
What's your price range?

Epiphones (other than the Elitists) are pretty "meh" in my opinion. My first guitar was a G400 and I replaced it in less than a year.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Seems the G400 would sound brighter, and the LP warmer.
Other than that it's all about feel. Play them at a local shop.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
My price range is basically 400 dollars... American.
Quote by smirnoff_black
Sorry for the bump. Need a plan.
Quote by smirnoff_black
if you want a Gibson SG sound go for the G-400 because it will nail it. The G-400 and the gibby are both made out of solid mohagany so all youd have to do is but 490R and Ts in it to get it so sound exactly like a Gibby. The Epi lp has some alder in it i believe and wont sound exactly like a Gibby if thats the sound your looking for. But it all comes down to opinion, i love epi guitars, and personally id go for the G-400
Out of the two I'd go with the G400. It's a great guitar and one that will, after a pickup change some time down the line, compete with much more expensive guitars. Just make sure to play them both before buying and make sure that you've got a thick leather strap for playing it standing up as they tend to be neck heavy.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
In that price range, I would definitely get one of these Michael Kelly Guitars.

They are amazingly well made, are very comfortable, have coil splits, and sound spectacular.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
out of them 2 id say Les Paul but better to try them out first
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul 1960's Tribute Plus
Schecter s-1
Marshall JCM900 100WATT HEAD
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Tanglewood exotic electro acoustic
Westfield Bass
Quote by guitarbite.fire
The Epi lp has some alder in it i believe and wont sound exactly like a Gibby if thats the sound your looking for.
Actually all Epi's made in the last year and a bit are made 100% with the 'proper' materials that the full Gibson versions use. The only exceptions are the Studio, 100, Junior and Special-II, but they're all the 'low end' Epis anyway that you shouldn't touch regardless of what they're made of...

Anyway, play both and see. Personally I'm not a fan of Sgs at all, but Epi's various SGs tend to all be pretty decent for the money. On the other hand, their LPs can be a bit hit-and-miss. Sometimes you'll find one that is simply amazing and nearly as good as a Gibson, othertimes you'll pick one up and it'll be the worst thing you've ever played.

If you're just looking to buy online, don't risk the LP, go with the SG. If you can try them out in a store, I think you'll be better off trying a lot out and cherry-picking the best you find.
Well the G-400 will probably be my choice. Any last words?
Quote by smirnoff_black
Quote by bokuho
Actually all Epi's made in the last year and a bit are made 100% with the 'proper' materials that the full Gibson versions use. The only exceptions are the Studio, 100, Junior and Special-II, but they're all the 'low end' Epis anyway that you shouldn't touch regardless of what they're made of...

Anyway, play both and see. Personally I'm not a fan of Sgs at all, but Epi's various SGs tend to all be pretty decent for the money. On the other hand, their LPs can be a bit hit-and-miss. Sometimes you'll find one that is simply amazing and nearly as good as a Gibson, othertimes you'll pick one up and it'll be the worst thing you've ever played.

If you're just looking to buy online, don't risk the LP, go with the SG. If you can try them out in a store, I think you'll be better off trying a lot out and cherry-picking the best you find.

Thx for correcting me on that, i wasnt too sure but i have heard that before.....My advice to the TS is still play them both ( as im sure basically everyone on here will say ) but like he said go w. the Sg if you dont play them both first
NO!! Get the les paul. g400's are terrible guitars. the neck is so heavey, it falls off of your leg. they sound, feel, and play much worse than a les paul standard. its wierd though, cause i love the gibson sg standard, hate the '61 reissue and hate the epiphones. best advice is try them out. go LES PAUL!
Get the standard Telecaster. It would be good for most of the bands you mentioned.
There ain't no moral to this story at all. Anything I tell you very well could be a lie.
Quote by bokuho

i hate to be a nitpicker but the epiphone les paul jr 57 reissue is solid mahogany, before 07 at that
I'd check Agile guitars or some of the cheaper Michael Kelly's before considering getting an Epiphone. It would probably be much harder if not impossible to find some in a store, especially since Agiles are sold online only. Both of those brands offer a hell of a lot more than the Epiphone at a lesser price.

I almost think something more along the lines of a Fat Strat style might suit you a bit better than an LP though.
Quote by GdayArmstrong
i hate to be a nitpicker but the epiphone les paul jr 57 reissue is solid mahogany, before 07 at that
And that's not a production-listed instrument anymore. So that's like saying a Strat-style guitar they made in 1973 was made with plastic so [XYZ whatever you care to write here].