Page 1 of 2
i would just like to know whether screaming is a "you either have it or you don't" thing beacuse i cant do it, but i'd liek to. if you can learn to scream, anybody care to teach me?
Step 1) - Inhale

Step 2) - Scream
Quote by soulflyV
Prepare to have every orifice in your body occupied by a dwarf.
get the zen of screaming 1 & 2 dvds. its something you need to work on, and be careful not to use your throat. you can cause perminant damage if you do.
not really much a "you have it or you dont" as much as "you have the courage to do it or you dont".
Quote by Garret.
Depends on how furiously I'm masturbating

Quote by metacarpi
I get paid on the 25th.

Is a bag full of pennies an acceptable method of payment?

The bag will of course, have SWAG written on it

Wynaut of the Pokemon club.
Quote by Garret.
Step 1) - Inhale

Step 2) - Scream

/thread
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."
-Frank Zappa

"Where words fail, music speaks."
-Hans Christian Andersen
Quote by burn the stars
get the zen of screaming 1 & 2 dvds. its something you need to work on, and be careful not to use your throat. you can cause perminant damage if you do.

well how do you do it then?
The Zen of Screaming sucks. Both of them. Dont waste your money on that crap.

Quote by Garret.
Step 1) - Inhale

Step 2) - Scream

Thats not funny.

Screaming is not inhaling. Inhaling doesnt take practice OR skill, Screaming does.
Quote by fretsonfire74
edward the great, youre a champ. thanks.

No problem, but I seriously advise you to be careful, real all of the columns before you try, learn to breath properly, and all the other techniques before you attempt to do this, it's very dangerous.

Here are some more lessons on how to do it properly depnding on what your going for

http://www.wikihow.com/Scream-Sing-without-Damaging-Your-Voice
http://www.wikihow.com/Do-Harsh-Death-Metal-Vocals
http://www.wikihow.com/Growl

EDIT-

Inside, get in #metal
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
Last edited by edwardthegreat5 at Sep 12, 2007,
Quote by TheClincher
whats the best way to get screamo ish vocals? (like atreyu, etc...)

I can't help you there, I don't know much about that, but it probably involves similar techniques
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
Quote by insideac
The Zen of Screaming sucks. Both of them. Dont waste your money on that crap.

Thats not funny.

Screaming is not inhaling. Inhaling doesnt take practice OR skill, Screaming does.

they saved me from blowing my throat out... again.
Quote by edwardthegreat5
I can't help you there, I don't know much about that, but it probably involves similar techniques

anybody can do it, but only certain people are good at it

and inhales take skill, cause if you do them wrong, you'll paralyze vocal chords.

also, the zen of screaming helps a ton, even if the majority of it is just warm-up exercizes, because those warm-ups STRENGTHEN your voice so that you don't BLOW IT OUT.
Last edited by lol internet at Sep 12, 2007,
On the ZOS topic. The warm-ups REALLY help, and I don't even scream the way Cross teaches (as I do inhales).
The Zen of Screaming is amazing. Very useful. The warmups help infinitely. Good luck with it man - anyone can do it, it's just a technique some people get easier than others. I still can't actually scream, but I have a hell of a growl on me. w0t.
My name is Marc! Silly username.
Just don't do UREH style.

Seriously, Vincent745 will have you up for copyright infringement.
Quote by Jackolas
Just don't do UREH style.

Seriously, Vincent745 will have you up for copyright infringement.

Or like twenty thousand metalcore bands that go UREH! at the beginning of breakdowns...
i learnt to do it, just by trying to mimick the sound of the song i was singing.. at first it hurt, and i got a bit of a sore throat, but after that it doesnt hurt anymore..

well thats just me anyways, but yes i have heard it is dangerous, and does damage your vocal chords, and i also heard that there is no correct way to do it, it damages your throat no matter what..

good luck lol
MD5K
IBANEZ
Read through the thread if you think there's no proper way.

But yes, even if you're doing it right, your throat does swell at first because of the volume of air rushing through. Then it adapts.
Quote by lol internet
Or like twenty thousand metalcore bands that go UREH! at the beginning of breakdowns...

Damn them and their "eeeeyopz" vocal woes.
Quote by burn the stars

i would never ever need to scream in a hardcore/metal band but still found those dvds interesting to watch.
Quote by Jackolas
Damn them and their "eeeeyopz" vocal woes.

I always thought they were saying something along the lines of "Mmmmmm - Yop!"

(Note: Yop is a yoghurt based drink)
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by edwardthegreat5
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/general_music/singing_part_4.html

Brief explanation, sums it up, it's very dangerous for your vocal chords, and you can easily damage your voice, so be careful, and try to get an instructor

Yep, screamings NOT a natural way to sing, all these screamo/metalcore bands that do it will end up rupturing their vocal chords - although thats not saying theres not a way to prevent proper damage but chee, i dislike it in music and wouldn't want to do it with my voice

For a simple analogy, Trivium used to scream - but that's only because Matt heafy couldn't sing, then he got lessons to and now never screams whatsoever
So i chuckle when i see people going "blahblahblah i prefer older trivium stuff which was when they were better vox"
Sounds shity and is bad for the vocal cords. Screaming sucks, to be Frank. (Who is Frank anyway?)
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
Fankenstein, obviously. And to philipisabeast, old Trivium IS better.
Originally Posted by Devon8822
No!! Stop Now, Plugging More Than One Pedal In At A Time Could Be A Disaster.... Your Guitar Will Explode And Kill Your Band.

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
Quote by fretsonfire74
i would just like to know whether screaming is a "you either have it or you don't" thing beacuse i cant do it, but i'd liek to. if you can learn to scream, anybody care to teach me?

so i herd u liek screaming?
Quote by fatboythin
Fankenstein, obviously. And to philipisabeast, old Trivium IS better.

I much prefer their new direction, their first album was pretty ordinary to be honest and i only like the songs on Ascendancy when they took a more technical direction

New trivium may have a few duff songs [Like that Anthem one] but others are alot better than they're early stuff
I dont know why man, but i really prefer Ascendancy over their new album. IMO, they have to many filler tracks in the new one.
Originally Posted by Devon8822
No!! Stop Now, Plugging More Than One Pedal In At A Time Could Be A Disaster.... Your Guitar Will Explode And Kill Your Band.

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
Page 1 of 2