Alright. I'm planning to buy my first ever electric guitar (Second guitar ever) and I've done quite a bit of research and here's what I'm planning to get:

Fender Standard MIM Fat Strat ($485)
Vox Valvetronix Ad15VT amp ($210)
A chromatic tuner of some sort ($20)
Either a guitar stand AND a gig bag OR a hardshell case ($60 to $80)

Is the gear I'm getting worthwhile or should I make any substitutions? I mostly play alt/hard rock. Bands like Foo Fighters, Rise Against, Taking Back Sunday, Weezer, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Aerosmith, etc.

Sidenote: All prices are in Canadian.
My friend owns the AD30VT. I say go ahead and save up for the 30 watt version. Both kick major ass though, just one does it a bit louder.

All that gear there will not let you down.
Quote by smirnoff_black
Have you ever done this before? It's freakin' sweet! Earlier today, I was bored as hell just laying on my bed. I had an erection, so I started to use my penis as a gear stick and I was pretending I was driving. Has anyone else here ever tired this?
Go the 30 watt Vox - it will give you enough juice to be heard over a drummer if you end up jamming with other people. For home use (if its too loud) you can just turn the master volume or the power level adjuster down.
sounds like a pretty damn good start to me
Quote by Useful_Idiot16
Haha, this is great. He had $1000, and got a spider. That salesman deserves a god damn medal.

Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD Viper 400
Silvertone SS11 strat copy (possibly modding in future)
Alvarez AD70S acoustic

Amp
Roland Cube 60
i would have loved that setup as my first, it sounds awesome!
If i were you i would rather get a hard case as opposed to the stand and gig band just to be extra sure that your guitar will stay safe

cheers sgboy666
LTD EC-400VF
Ibanez RG321MHRB
2005 Epiphone Vintage SG G400
MXR EVH Phase 90
Digitech Bad Monkey
BOSS DD-7
Korg Pitchblack
Marshall JVM215C
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Normally if u plan to buy your guitar + amp, u shouldn't have to worry about paying for a gig bag and all the other little bits and pieces, they OUTTA put together a package for you....and throw all that crap in... well any good guitar store would.
Quote by which ones pink
Awesome setup, most guys start out with a Strat copy and a 10 watt garbage amp.
I'd go with the hardcase over the gig bag/stand, just more useful in the long run.

Well if you read, he said he has played before. So technically he's not starting. He's obviously played before and will most likely be committed to playing guitar.

Anyway, nice set up ;]. If you're not going to be jamming with anyone else soon then stick with the AD15vt which probably could be heard over a drum, I haven't tried yet. If you are though, go with the 30 watter one.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
Quote by Mattmakesmetal
Normally if u plan to buy your guitar + amp, u shouldn't have to worry about paying for a gig bag and all the other little bits and pieces, they OUTTA put together a package for you....and throw all that crap in... well any good guitar store would.

Agreed. Don't accept any price, try to get stuff out of them. When I got my electric guitar, I got a capo, a string winder, a bunch of cloths, some guitar cleaner and a few bags of picks and it also came with a gig bag. So, I'd get the hardshell case to keep it in at home and do shows (if that's what you're into) and have the gig bag to take it places where a huge case wouldn't be convienent (school and what not).