Hey guys, I want to start a discussion thread about 'making it' in the music industry. I am 20, and I've been playing guitar for 4 years and composing stuff. I want to get into the music industry, whether it be through a band, or in some other avenue that is involves rock music, as I am extremely passionate and knowledgeable about the world of rock/guitar.

I am sure many people feel the same way, but are just unsure of the possibilities or just don't know how to make the big jump from jamming in your room, to the big bad world of record labels, producers, managers, studios, etc. Let me pose some questions to start this thread:

-Who are the key players in forming a band (besides the actual band)
-How does one find and contact someone already in the industry?
-What are the smaller things a band can do to establish a name for themselves?
-What other jobs are available for one interested in rock (or metal, etc.)

Feel free to answer any questions or pose your own in this thread. I hope it succeeds!
Play towns that aren't yours. People don't give a **** about local bands, but if they're from "Over there", they're more likely to go see you.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
its all in networking bro. Go out and meet people.

LTD EX-351
Peavey 5150 head
Marshall 1960A
Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor
BBE 482i Sonic Maximizer
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Play towns that aren't yours. People don't give a **** about local bands, but if they're from "Over there", they're more likely to go see you.

Agreed and even if you meet someone from music industry . Don't show them that u are too desperate . I have a friend who came in contact with some Record Guy and after listening to his music. the jerk said "if you want i can put you in a band , We need a guitarist for Pop band".What the **** is Pop band ?

Play everywhere u can . Record Some demos send them to everyone. Best of Luck
Hi
indeed, just record some demos and send them to everyone you can, give them out on the street for free, whatever.
Get arrested at a performance. Either during a performance, or afterwards.

It'll make you look cooler.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Get arrested at a performance. Either during a performance, or afterwards.

It'll make you look cooler.

lol

yeah personally i reckon it would be hard to make it in the music industry