You can do many different shapes with scales as long as you fallow the correct notes of that scale, right? Then where the hell do intervals come into play?! Their are atleast 13 different shapes for the major scale that I have seen! That ****ing frustrating.

Also, can a half step also apply to moving unto a different string a fret down?
Thanks.
I'm gonna drive all night, take some speed. I'm gonna wait for the sun to shine down on me. I cut a hole in my roof in the shape of a heart snf I' goin' out west where they'll appreciate me"

Click this if you like men!
A different string a fret down would be way more than a half step...
Quote by Llamai
A different string a fret down would be way more than a half step...

Then why does it claim that you have to go a half step to play the F in the major scale? Is it expecting you to play the whole ****ing scale on one string?
I'm gonna drive all night, take some speed. I'm gonna wait for the sun to shine down on me. I cut a hole in my roof in the shape of a heart snf I' goin' out west where they'll appreciate me"

Click this if you like men!
I can do it. So can you if you try hard enough.

Compare these, and tell me what you hear:

e--------------------------------------
B--------------------------------------
G--------------------------------------
D-------------------------1--2---------
A------------0---2---4-----------------
E--0--2--4-----------------------------

e-----------------
B------------------
G------------------
D-------------------
A------------------
E-0--2--4--5--7--9--11--12
Quote by Mazzakazza
Play Meshuggah. It is the solution.
Yeah, you have to go 4 frets down on the next string to get a half step. Unless it is the B string...
Quote by zwart_gitaar
You can do many different shapes with scales as long as you fallow the correct notes of that scale, right? Then where the hell do intervals come into play?! Their are atleast 13 different shapes for the major scale that I have seen! That ****ing frustrating.

A "shape" is only the way you happen to access notes on the fretboard. It's not
a scale.

Because of the way the guitar is tuned, there is more than 1 way to play the
exact same note. That's both a blessing and curse depending how you look at it.

An interval is the tonal diff between two notes. Like absolute notes themselves,
relative intervals can be played in more than 1 way. For example, a minor 3rd is
3 frets up on the same string or 1 string over and 2 frets down.
Quote by zwart_gitaar

Thanks.

Scales are nothing but intervals, so they're kind of important

The major scale is a constant, set pattern of gaps between notes (intervals), namely

WWHWWWH

where W represents a whole step between notes(2 frets) and H represents a half step between notes. If you take any note, anywhere on the fretboard and follow that pattern along from it you'll get the major scale for that note. Obviously the guitar has 6 strings, meaning notes repeat themselves, and playing along one string isn't always practical. A half step means just that, one fret further along. However, if you want to go from, for example, the A on the 5th fret of the low E to the Bb next to it you could also use the Bb on the 1st fret of the A string. Yes that's physically a 4 fret gap, but tonally it's just a half step.

That's why there's different fingering patterns from the major scale...they're all the same notes, just in different places. The important thing to remember is that the pattern of intervals remains constant.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by zwart_gitaar

Thanks.

there are only 12 major scales....
hello
He means that you can play ONE major scale in 13 different ways (I have no idea if that's true or not yet).
Quote by Mazzakazza
Play Meshuggah. It is the solution.
TS: do you know how to construct a major scale, and what the notes on the fretboard are? If you do it will help your understanding so much more. Let me know. It will show you the intervals, the steps, and why the scale is so moveable and changeable all over the fretboard.

If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
I think he used that 13 as a random number.
And yes, there is more than one way, you are playing E major scale when you are playing E F# G# A B C# D notes.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.