Page 1 of 3
casualty01
Here all along
2,622 IQ
Hey everyone

Well, as brought up by cold_static in the site forum, the Blues & Jazz forum is highly overlooked and seriously lacking in substance and material (not by B&A Mods or any of the users specifically mind you, it just gets overlooked due to the fact that there's nothing special drawin in attention. and also lets face it, the blues & jazz fans to Rock/metal/punk fans ratio is rather small lol)

so, as suggested by cold_static and frigginjerk, I, along with beat if he's got the time, will begin adding new features, articles, and AOTW.

AOTW you say? Artist Of The Week.

now, the name change to Artist Of The Week is due largely to the fact that the biggest names in Blues and Jazz (more so jazz) are not guitarists at all. yes of course guitarists play a large part (more so in Blues) and will definitley be covered thoroughly, as this IS a Guitar website lol, but you can't deny the fact that most revolutionary and influencial figures in Jazz havn't been guitarists, but rather horn players, bassists, pianists etc.. (with a couple exceptions)

so, with that we're going to start calling it AOTW, or even IOFT (Icon of the week)

havn't decided which yet. or maybe leave it as AOTW and make special Icon editions that spotlight the Giants of jazz (i.e. Louie Armstrong, Miles Davis, Coltrane, Duke Thelonius, McCoy Tyner etc..) ........... who knows. that's why I'm Making this thread. I want to hear your (B&J regulars and anyone else) suggestions, ideas, thoughts.

there's alot we could do really, as Jazz & Blues have a much more larger history than any other music genre presented on this board...

we could have.......

<li>AOTW
<li>Icon spotlights
<li>Album reviews <-- (i specifically love this idea)
<li>a "suggested listening" sticky
<UL><LI>this is another great idea imo. since jazz and blues is more an aural (hearing) art than anything, and the best way of learning jazz is comprised largely of listening to the masters and learning from what they did (i.e. transcribing, learning their licks, singing their solo's etc..) that I think this would be a great idea and highly beneficial to everyone. idea ........ especially along with Album reviews.</LI></UL>
<li>specific jazz Gear reviews
<UL><LI>(i.e. hollowbody's, classic Jazz amps, etc..)</LI></UL>
<li>Young Guns reviews <UL><LI>(articles on up and coming unknown or revolutionary jazz cats)</LI></UL>
<li>History articles
<li>venue articles (famous jazz clubs, allthough this could be a part of the history thing)

anyway, as you can see, I have alot of ideas and the options/possibilities are wide open. I've always wanted to run/help run this forum, but, as there never was that much traffic to it, i didn't think anybody really gave a crap lol....... I'm glad to see i was wrong.

so, post away. give me your suggestions, critique my suggestions, add some ideas to mine, present your own etc..
and if anyone's willing to help out that'd be great.

so..... let's get to it. and make this the best damn B&A forum there is

Cas-
JH013
346 IQ
i think the best ideas are AOTW on the most famous jazz musicians and a suggested listening sticky. then maybe if more people start replying to those threads, then history and gear/album reviews will follow.

personally, im excited to get more jazz in this forum because i dont know nearly half as much about jazz as i do about blues.
Dreadnought
Oceanic Mountainman
5,250 IQ
I think the Jazz Gear Review would be quite a good idea, probably one of my favorites out of that list...

However, what did you mean by Icon Spotlight?
ZepHedJack
56 IQ
What about "How to Play as..." articles? Giving exmaples of famous players styles and licks from them. That'd be damn cool.
Who is John Galt?
JH013
346 IQ
^ a "Famous Licks- And How to Play" thread would be cool... but i dont think enough people here know enough about the styles of people to write an article on them.
JH013
346 IQ
Originally posted by Dreadnought
I think the Jazz Gear Review would be quite a good idea, probably one of my favorites out of that list...

However, what did you mean by Icon Spotlight?

Icon Spotlight would be like an AOTW on the big musicians of jazz like Louie Armstrong, Miles Davis, Ellington, Coltrane... (thats what i think)
cold_static544
249 IQ
One more thing is really guitar theory, and i believe that Cas would be a totally great help. I know that theory is already discussed in Musician's talk but none of it is really jazz-specific. I hope that there would be a theory column about Jazz scales, chords, improvisation, etc.

As for blues, its really a easy to learn but difficult to master kinda thing, so when you're playing blues, use your soul not your head.........(just my 2 cents anyway), but its really up to whoever who is in charge of the theory (or if there will even be a theory section)

Quote by tryhardslash
dude like every song has disortion

and its called distorting
Dr._G._Funk
UG Member
10 IQ
wow I love the idea it takes a while for new informtion to get to this forum, and I like the album review. I want to learn more about jazz, I am a blues guy, but they are so intertwined that they really are the same.

Maybe do a AOTW for both genres (blues, and Jazz), and an album review every couple of weeks for either of the genres??
I know little on the subject off jazz and want to learn more, but if you need help on blues aspects, I may me of use...

The Dr.
Band on the run
weezer_rock
11 IQ
im new, and i hate that the jazz and blues section is lacking in content. ive been a guitarist for a year and my favorite stuff to play is blues. Gear review looks great. And i have some AOTW that i can put up. Good luck

this site will not be overlooked by me
Daveo
Grand
1,422 IQ
I like the recommended listening idea...I wouldn't really dwell too much into an artist without some kind of idea of what they sound like.
I downloaded a Robert Johnson song a while ago and I wasn't too impressed. Actually two. If I hadda heard him before, I wouldn'ta got them.
What I'm sayin is, it helps to have an idea of an artist's sound first.
gnr8801
UG's Guns N' Roses fan
25 IQ
I think there should be a sticky thread of blues/jazz artist recommendations, like a list that people getting into the genre can look to for a good introduction into it and to know what good blues and jazz is. I'm thinking of starting the thread up, so if/when I do, could a mod possibly sticky it if it gets a good list going?

P.S, PM me with ideas for the list. I'm very limited in jazz artist knowledge, so I'll be leaving that up to some of the other people in this forum.
"They were having S-E-X in front of the C-H-I-L-D-R-E-N!"
"Sex Cauldren?! I thought they closed that place"
casualty01
Here all along
2,622 IQ
ok people, i'm VERY sorry that i haven't actually DONE anything in here lol ......... but i've been pretty busy with other things (you'll all know about it soon enough hehe)

tomorrow i have my lessons and then I'll be posting my next theory lesson (so you best check it out *shakes fist* )

AND I will make up the suggested listening...... and possibly, if I have time, my Artist of the Week.

thanks for your patience guys!

Cas-
jethrotullrules
My amp goes to 11...
42 IQ
AOTW - thats a good idea.
"Actually, I'm getting one made up with eight necks and I'm going to get a wheelwright to make a big rim around it and then I can do cartwheels off the stage."
- Jimmy Page, responding to a question about his multiple necked guitars on _Denton_.
Andrewbiles
11,176 IQ
Originally posted by ZepHedJack
What about "How to Play as..." articles? Giving exmaples of famous players styles and licks from them. That'd be damn cool.

That's a good idea, but that would probably be more suited to the R&R forum.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Serlas
UG's Super Pokémon
17 IQ
but it can only get better, can't it?
#1 member of the "UG Super Pokémon" club. PM to join.
Slurgi
Lazy Perfectionist
153 IQ
I think i have a great idea, personally.

That whole "Main genres" category below Bands and Artists on the main page...

Just eliminate the others and have the only one be Blues and Jazz
Dipstick
UG Newbie
12 IQ
The AOTW idea is really good. ZepHedJack's idea is good too... If someone did an AOTW and included a short biography,some of the techniques the artist uses, and a couple catchy licks or riffs to try out...better than buying a magazine.
Twat did you say? I cun't hear you. I have an earinfuc*tion and I need peniscillian every half whor*.
Seany
pronounced See-nee
916 IQ
i would love to see some history articles popping up, especially about Eric Clapton and Robert Johnson. Ive been piecing things together through the net and magazines and such, but theres alotta gaps...
Originally posted by Gr1m R34p3r
Remember: Speed = Emotion
lsw444
263 IQ
well, if its not going to be quantity of threads, better make sure its quality!
Parlour-Tricks
UG Newbie
42 IQ
Do ZephedJack's idea. But make two threads (jazz and blues. duh). So that way no one is confused on the matta'.
You wanna fight? How about your stick your head up your ass and fight for air.
2000man
All for lovin' you
10 IQ
I really like the AOTW idea. Kind of like a "Patron Saint" kind of thing. Maybe include a brief bio, some pics, and a link that contains a sound clip. That would give people a good idea of what the artist is all about.
power freak
Counting to infinity...
1,431 IQ
A gear guide to blues and jazz would be stupid IMHO. I mean some of the blues guys have used the weirdest guitars that totally do not suit the style. The same with jazz, Bill Frisell for example won't play anything other than his Klein BF-96, that is totally not a jazz guitar but he still manages to coax great sounds from it.

I would love to see an album review thread. I would put them all in one thread instead of like an album of the week/month or whatever. We would have to set rules for what has to be included in the review though like: legnth, style (fusion, be-bop, smooth, acid or whatever) musicians on the album, overall comments etc.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Derigiberble
UG's Prosthetic Vagina
2,308 IQ
i'll do a blues quiz if one of the mods will put it in the important section. Basically i'll ask 10 questions and get people to pm me their answers so that no1 else reads them in the post. I tried it in classic rock but jono wouldnt put it in the important section and cos i just told people not to post in it it just kept going down.
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Get, Get, Get, Get, Get Out And Push.
pahoehoe13
your worst nightmare
15 IQ
how about a jazz/blues trading thread... im sure that theres alot of great jazz and blues mp3s out there that alot of us havnt heard... it would be a way to introduce people to other artists and to share rare live performances, covers, and jam sessions between some of the best jazz and blues artists
when i'm sad
she comes to me
with a thousand smiles
she gives to me free...
acdc101
pft
295 IQ
As you know, the Blues and Jazz forum is very slow, painfully slow at times. I have a suggestion that may liven things up a bit, or attract more people who wouldn't regulary post there.

In the 80s Rock, Shred & Progressive forum, there is a stickied thread entitled "**The Random Shred Chat Thread**." I was thinking we could put a thread like that in the B&J forum. If it matters anything, The Blues Mafia (A club that holds blues chats) are backing the idea. We think it would bring more traffic into the forum, which is sadly the slowest of all 11 B&A forums.
LastFM
my deviantART
Quote by saintjimmy99
thank you kindly. now feel free to put a quote from me in your sig that says whatever you like.
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue
1,943 IQ
^^^Not a bad idea.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Kurt_Cobain77
Banned
170 IQ
Originally posted by acdc101
As you know, the Blues and Jazz forum is very slow, painfully slow at times. I have a suggestion that may liven things up a bit, or attract more people who wouldn't regulary post there.

In the 80s Rock, Shred & Progressive forum, there is a stickied thread entitled "**The Random Shred Chat Thread**." I was thinking we could put a thread like that in the B&J forum. If it matters anything, The Blues Mafia (A club that holds blues chats) are backing the idea. We think it would bring more traffic into the forum, which is sadly the slowest of all 11 B&A forums.

thats a great idea..blues and jazz is horribly slow
Steph Bets
Uncomfortably Numb
452 IQ
im likeing the AOTW and jazz and blues gear ideas.
Blackstar HT 5
George Dennis Spitfire 2x10
LTD GL 200M
Agile Ghost III
Warmoth SSS Tele with Floyd Rose
Ibanez Artcore AM73
I <3 Arcade Fire, Rainbow, Dungen, Muse, Pink Floyd, Def Leppard, Kate Bush etc.
ROCK OPERA!!
UG Rock Opera tracks
mud
Grunties
313 IQ

Does anyone have any objections to me starting that thread? I think it's a good idea.

Would Lazy, Beatallica_fan or Morbid death be prepared to sticky it if, hypothetically, it were to emerge?

Blues and Jazz is probably the most static of the bands and artists forums, I think that woud liven things up a bit (especially seeing as Mad Marius' thread in the pit gave me the opportunity to moan that no-one's ever here.)

~Ben
"Is it an ambulance? Is he Philip Larkin? So much power in so few words."
~The Observer

"A transcendant terrestris, a timeless behemoth, trapped like Sisyphus in the cyclical burden of his own genius."
~The Sun

"His a cant."
~The Independent
acdc101
pft
295 IQ
^ No objections here. Though I will have to be credited.

EDIT: You already made it! My mistake.
LastFM
my deviantART
Quote by saintjimmy99
thank you kindly. now feel free to put a quote from me in your sig that says whatever you like.
Last edited by acdc101 at Jun 21, 2005,
redwing_suck
Official UG "Do It" Ref
4,054 IQ
I don't know if this is where I post it... but can I do the next AOTW on Benny Greene?
Looking for my India/Django.
mud
Grunties
313 IQ
^ No objections here. Though I will have to be credited.

EDIT: You already made it! My mistake.

And you're credited

Sorry about that, I got bored of waiting for affirmation
"Is it an ambulance? Is he Philip Larkin? So much power in so few words."
~The Observer

"A transcendant terrestris, a timeless behemoth, trapped like Sisyphus in the cyclical burden of his own genius."
~The Sun

"His a cant."
~The Independent
beatallica_fan
UG fluffly club member #5
1,681 IQ
Originally posted by redwing_suck
I don't know if this is where I post it... but can I do the next AOTW on Benny Greene?

yes
El Mariachi
Balls Ey...
10 IQ
No don't split up the forum, the B and J is already small enough without them being slip up, I like the AOTW idea and the history and venue articles
Bren

*insert witty comment*
The_Strat_Man
I'm back!
1,572 IQ
^ Beat, do you mind if I do a GOTW (Gear of the week) kind of thing? My article would be on Stevie Ray Vaughan.
The_Strat_Man
I'm back!
1,572 IQ
Also, Beat, I have a suggestion that we combine the two Suggested Listening Artists posts into one thread. The top two posts in the thread would be of the Blues and Jazz artists, so, it'll cut down on the number of stickies.