is there any difference in sound between the EPIPHONE les paul custom & standard? i know that the custom looks much better because of its gold hardware..
Gear:
Epi LP JR
Laney LG12
The differences are:
- choice of finishes
- inlays in the fretboard
- the Standard has a maple top, the Custom has a mahogany top
- Customs go through slightly more thorough quality control than Standards - there are less bad Customs slipping through than there are bad Standards getting through.
- Customs have better binding.

Then there's the Custom Plus, which has:
- 'flame' maple top (the maple top on the Standard isn't flame)
- maple neck (both the Standard and regular Custom have mahogany necks)

EDIT: forgot, the Standard also comes in a 'plus' variety, but with that the difference is just the flame maple top instead of plain maple.
Last edited by bokuho at Sep 12, 2007,
Standard

- Maple top
- Trapezoid inlays

Custom

- Mahogany top
- Block inlays
- Bound headstock with the Gibson style logo

Is the Custom really worth the money? I want a Les Paul in the 400-600€ range.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
Quote by Chips-

Is the Custom really worth the money? I want a Les Paul in the 400-600€ range.

If you have the cash to spend extra on the custom, it's a good guitar. If you then upgarde the pickups too, it can be a great guitar - I upgraded mine to have Gibson Burstbuckers, and now it's easily as good as my Gibsons.

On the other hand though, the Standard isn't that far behind the Custom anyway. Just make sure with the Standard, you try out as many in-store as you can, and cherry-pick the best one you find. Don't just settle for whatever you get your hands on first, and do not buy online.
I'm gonna buy a used one. Right now there's an '02 Standard with a gold Gotoh bridge going for 350€, and a Custom for 460€. I'm thinking about buying the Standard and some new pups for it.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
Being 2002-made, that Standard will be one of the older mahogany/alder mixes for the body. Bear that in mind.
The Customs have always been full mahogany though, and new (i.e. made in the last year or newer) Standards are also the full, proper mahogany too. If you're really after that thick Les Paul tone, you'll probably be better off not getting that used Standard. You can probably get a used Custom cheap enough that you'll still have enough money left over for some really nice pickups too.
i have a les paul custom (black) got it second hand and it's awesome for heavier rock. I've played my cousins standard a few times and i prefer mine, it's not a huge difference, but noticeable, mainly in feel i think, i find the custom just feels heavier and more sturdy.
Quote by slayaplaya

(oh! maybe some one will sig that witty comment! maybe not...)
Shouldnt the Custom hava an Ebony fretboard and the Standard have a rosewood?
On Gibsons, thats a big difference.
On Epiphone, both Custom and Standard have rosewood fretboards. 2 years ago there were more differences, but nowadays they've improved the quality on both models, so as long as I know (I'm not sure, mine is '05 and a not-so-good one, so it was from before the changes where made, so even being a Custom, it was still mahogany+alder), that's all.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Since the differences have already been outlined...

If you can find an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top anywhere that you can play then i'd go and play one of them.
Very nice those ones.