Hey,
I'm thinking of getting an Ibanez S series guitar. My two choices are the S620EXQM or the S520EX
The S620EXQM retails for $1,595 AU, I can get it for $1,116.50 AU
The S520EX retails for $1,495 AU, I can get it for $1,046.50 AU

The only differences between the two (as far as i can tell) is that the more S620EXQM has the quilted maple finish (which i think doesn't look as good) but it also has pickups designed by EMG. The S620EXQM also has chrome hardware instead of black.
So I'm trying to get your opinions; is it worth paying the extra $70 AU for what could be better pickups, not as cool looking hardware and not as cool finish.
What would you do? I don't mind spending the extra $70 AU if that is the best option.

Thanks.
I have the S620EXQM it is excellent I payed 1,300 AU and it is worth it. I haven't played the other

When I bought it I was actually looking at a jackson but this thing blew me away.
Yeah? Thanks for replying, I was getting frustrated cos no one was helping me. Sweet, how do the pickups sound? Do you love the ZR bridge or what? I've heard its killer.
Yeh, I have been a long time reader of these forums but decided to register to answer your question.

OMG pickups owned, my last guitar was an epiphone SG, but it owned the other guitars i played at the store. I would still rather proper EMG's.
I have never had a trem before so the guy at the store told me I should get it because it is so easy to use and it is.

Just to let you know my advice may not be the best, I haven't even been playing for a year yet. The reason I got it is because my SG had broken down and I would of been without a guitar for a month, so i upgraded early rather than later.
Thats fair enough. Thanks alot for taking the time to register for me. I appreciate it very much, you have no idea just how much i do.
I have to get off the computer now, but if you have anything else to say just post it here, i have it bookmarked and ill get to it tomorrow sometime.
Thanks alot for your help mate.
Have a good one!!
better yet get a used S520 or S540. Better pups, Much better neck, and the original body design. (And mIJ)
Quote by -HeretiC-
Hey,
I'm thinking of getting an Ibanez S series guitar. My two choices are the S620EXQM or the S520EX
The S620EXQM retails for $1,595 AU, I can get it for $1,116.50 AU
The S520EX retails for $1,495 AU, I can get it for $1,046.50 AU

The only differences between the two (as far as i can tell) is that the more S620EXQM has the quilted maple finish (which i think doesn't look as good) but it also has pickups designed by EMG. The S620EXQM also has chrome hardware instead of black.
So I'm trying to get your opinions; is it worth paying the extra $70 AU for what could be better pickups, not as cool looking hardware and not as cool finish.
What would you do? I don't mind spending the extra $70 AU if that is the best option.

Thanks.

quilted maple top gives a nice bright edge to the tone which goes well with mahogany. depends if you are just playing Br00tal metal.
I would do exactly what I'm doing this friday:

Order the S520EX and rip the pickups out right when you get it, replacing it with pickups that will suit your style best.

In my case, I play mainly progressive rock/metal, metal, and thrash so I'm getting the S520EX (love the ZR tremolo) and switching the bridge for a Dimarzio D Sonic F Spaced (US $89.99) and the neck with a Dimarzio Air Norton (US $69.99).
Those EMG's that come stock in the 620 are not top sound quality EMG's just so ya know. The inf1 and inf2 that come stock on the 520 aren't too bad, but I would recommend an upgrade. The tremolo is awesome and guitar doesn't go out of tune if you use it. The neck is flat and very fast. Feel is excellent if that is what you are looking for.
Gear:
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81/85
Ibanez RG350MP
Fender acoustic (Black)

Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey 6505 212 combo
Excellent, All this information has been a great help to me. I think what I'll do is take MegaDTSX's advice. I'll buy the S520EX But I'll keep the stock PU's in for a while until i save up enough for a new set, and then I'll either put in a duncan dimebucker and full shred or EMG 81/85
Thanks alot for all this guys.
i have the s470 and havent had to change anything i love the tone from it even though the pups arent supposed to be good, dont forget most of your tone comes from your amp. Theyre not the hottest pups though so if your planning on changing the pups anyway why dont you get the nicer and cheaper version (s470) and then stick new pups in it?

All S series guitars own, mine has made me the player i am today.

If your clever enough to notice how great these guitars are you will go along way in guitar m freind.
Gibson SG (Heavily modded)
Fender USA Strat
Hohner 12 String-uber rare

Fender Silverface Twin

EHX Big Muff
Digitech badmonkey overdrive
Boss DS-1
Blackstar Distortion X
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Delay
Digitech Whammy
I would advise the same, get the S520EX and save up for a set of active EMGs, or perhaps DiMarzios/Seymour Duncan etc depending on what you prefer.

You will most likely replace the pickups in the 620 anyway, since "designed by EMG" =/= same quality as EMG.

<3 my 520. GAS'ing for an EMG 81/60 set for it though!
Ibanez S520EX with Seymour Duncan Blackouts
ESP EC401FM with EMG81/60
VHT Deliverance 60
Laney VH100R
Marshall JCM900 1960B
Maxon OD808
Hey Persata,

Did you get your 520 painted that color on your sig or did you find it somewhere like that?

I'm ordering mine in that dark dull green..hopefully it looks kinda cool since I've only played on the black one before.
I bought it in that colour. I got one when Ibanez had just released the guitar, and it only came in Metallic Gray (MGF) and Black colours back then. Now they do it in Purple, Green and Black but no Gray. I thought the Metallic Gray was much much nicer than the black, which seemed too shiny and a bit cliché for a metal guitar.

Enjoy your guitar man, I love mine.

Edit: Just realised they've also discontinued the Purple, probably because it was disgusting
VHT Deliverance 60
Laney VH100R
Marshall JCM900 1960B
Maxon OD808
Last edited by Persata at Sep 13, 2007,
nice choice man. you'll enjoy it alot. i love my 520, but the black shows wayyyy to many scratches lol. pickups are so/so, nothing special but not great. have fun.
Well Enough Alone
i'd get the cheaper one that you prefer the look of and then just buy different pickups for it, youve already got $70 to go towards it
i got the Ibanez S470dxqm over in Croatia for the equivalent of 800$ australian Dollars lol!!
they retail here for alot more.

Personelly I would go with the s470 and change out the pups.
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
Jackson dinky select series USA
ESP LTD EC1000VB
MI audio boostnbuff+crunchbox
Carbon copy MXR + smart gate
The S470 is HSH though, so the TS would need to buy an HSH configuration, which may not be quite what he is looking for... although this has the added advantage of more tonal options.

Ahh guitar, so many options, so little money
VHT Deliverance 60
Laney VH100R
Marshall JCM900 1960B
Maxon OD808
Hey there, im just wondering where you can get the s620exqm for $1,116. Did you haggle a bit with guitar.com.au?