Sorry if this is in the wrong place!!

So the devoted Tool fan that I am I decided to go and see them again, this time in Brixton. As usual they were unreal!! There was a particular part of the performance that I really enjoyed and that was what can only be described as the synth solo/performance, whatever. Danny sat infront of his synth/modulator and created sounds that were amazing, i'd never heard anything like that before. So I decided to try it for myself. After much investigation, the poor student that I am, I can't afford anything near to what Danny has, so my question is this...is there a piece of software that I can get that will go someway to creating those kinds of sounds, noises. It doesn't need to be tonaly perfect or anything, just a base from which to experiment.

Thanks in advance for any replies!!
Quote by Metal_Injection
I got my first Orange today!!!! Its a Orange crush 15 watt with reverb, just a practice amp!! let me join!!!!

Quote by slatsmania
You can, but you have to sit at the kids' table for dinner.

Gibson LP + Orange Rocker 30
Native Instruments' Massive is my favourite, but it also heavily taxes your CPU.... What are you looking for, pads, basses, leads, what?

Edit: And software can be pretty expensive as well. Massive is about $300. But then again, look at it...
I'm just looking for something that allows me to put a tone, sound or sample into it and modulate, i.e. make sounds like, I dunno, turning a tape echo machine up really fast, then changing pitch etc. It probably isn't possible! Any advice on the matter would be really good, any sites to read etc. It just sounded soooo cool!
Quote by Metal_Injection
I got my first Orange today!!!! Its a Orange crush 15 watt with reverb, just a practice amp!! let me join!!!!

Quote by slatsmania

Quote by jams10uk
I'm just looking for something that allows me to put a tone, sound or sample into it and modulate, i.e. make sounds like, I dunno, turning a tape echo machine up really fast, then changing pitch etc. It probably isn't possible! Any advice on the matter would be really good, any sites to read etc. It just sounded soooo cool!

NOt much out there on a standalone platform, but if you get a DAW like Fruity Loops, Cubase, or Logic, there are TONS of things out there.

I'd use this: http://www.greenoak.com/crystal/ in logic. Great little toy
download VSThost

then download a bunch of VST instruments and effects and knock yourself out connecting a bunch of **** together

some kind of MIDI keyboard controller with some knobs and such may be very useful if you plan on doing this for live performances (with a laptop)
Thanks! Does garageband host vst? I've never looked into it.
Quote by Metal_Injection

Quote by slatsmania

Quote by jams10uk

not natively
and i'm not sure about logic

garageband and logic use a different format known as AU
just google "AU instruments" or "AU synths" and you should find something
Cheers buddy!
Quote by Metal_Injection

Quote by slatsmania

Propellerheads Reason!
Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Ibanez S-470 with Seymour Duncans
Ibanez RG-321
Schecter Damien 6
Art & Lutherie Wild Cherry

Amps:
Kustom 12 Gauge
Quote by jams10uk

No. Garageband and Logic run off of the CoreAudio platform, which supports Audio Units (AU)