ok, so this is probably a really common question but my gear currently consists of an ianez rg170dx, epiphone lp custom and I've got it playing through a marshall mg100hdfx however I'm going to move to a tube head and I'm looking at od pedals.

I play mainly main stream pop punk and pop punk (think blink 182 or green day) and people I know are torn between dunlop mxr pedals and boss pedals. price isn't really an issue seeing as I don't mind saving up for something better if its worth it. so any ideas?

any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

oh, and will also help to end our great debate before it becomes WWIII!
Maxon OD808 maybe?

Or are you looking more for a distortion sound? What amp are you planning on getting?
Well, firstly I wouldn't bother getting an OD pedal until after you've got the valve amp.

Then I'd look at something like a Maxon OD808. It's based on the old Tubescreamer models and is more than a little tasty. I like my Ibanez TS9DX but when it comes to Tubescreamer's, it's really down to preference. I'd take them over the Boss and MXR.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Depends on what kind of od you want. Boss BD-2 is good for high-ish gain,rough od at high gain and smooth at low gain. At least my modded one is. tubescreamers are low-ish gain, smooth and compressed. Don't know about the MXR ones.
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
looking at another marshall, probably a jcm2000 tsl60. i'm not really looking at over the top distortion like a real punk sound. oh, and i have no intention of getting a distortion pedal until i have my new amp, but i am looking at a new amp and just wanted some suggestions...
Quote by lithium26
Depends on what kind of od you want. Boss BD-2 is good for high-ish gain,rough od at high gain and smooth at low gain. At least my modded one is. tubescreamers are low-ish gain, smooth and compressed. Don't know about the MXR ones.

They are generally in a similar vain to Tubescreamers, things that are heavier are categorised as distortion in their range, I believe.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay