you know this one.
the trademark stunt.
where vai sticks his tongue out.
or blow the strings/pickups.
and produce this magical, high-pitched, sustained squeal.
how does he do that?
When your guitar is very close to feedback, you sometimes push it by blowing across the strings. Just try it, it's the best way to understand it
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
^+1

absolutley right
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo
fulltone Clyde Standard wah

*No Advertising*
Doesn't he use his tongue along the string to raise the pitch a bit like normal though?

It works with your finger but he just uses his tongue instead?

Like if you fret a note at the 12th fret, say with a capo, then run your finger up and down the string behind the capo it changes the pitch a bit..
nope that produces only a scratch that goes sharper when you move up. if you touch the string with your finger or tongue it will stop vibrating. on the vid vai plays the g or d string i'm not sure and touches the e. cmon you can see him press the bar when changing the pitch.
Maybe I'm thinking of a different thing than the question, I've seen Rory Gallagher do it a lot but he uses a slide..

Like put the slide on the string at the 12th fret then let the note sustain and if you run your finger up the string behind the slide (Between the nut and the slide) it raises the pitch.

Maybe it doesn't work the same with whatever Vai is doing.
Quote by necrophilic
you know this one.
the trademark stunt.
where vai sticks his tongue out.
or blow the strings/pickups.
and produce this magical, high-pitched, sustained squeal.
how does he do that?

He doesn't actually make the sound by blowing on the strings. It's just that, a trick. He flicks his sustainer on while doing it.