Will there be a difference if say, I plug into it an Epi LP100, between a Gibson LP standard? Or a Squire start or a MIA strat? Or some stock Ibanez pickup between a nice Dimarzio one?

I'm asking this because I'm buying a Gibson faded SG (I know it's not the best of the line but hell, for $400 I'll take it!) and I wanna know if the sound from the amp will be better than my current GRG170DX.
G&L Legacy Special -> Line 6 TonePort GX -> Gearbox\GR2

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
It's the whole entire package. The pickups, the body wood type, the quality of the body wood, the quality of the neck to pocket contact, the hardware; stuff like that.

If you have a ****ty amp; it'll most likely still sound ****ty.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Yeah a good amp is the first port of call tone wise. You've got a fairly decent first guitar with a GRG170DX so think about getting a nice amp first
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Your amp has a lot more to do with your tone than your guitar.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
Thanks guys for the insight but I already knows this. What I'm asking is specifically for the cube 30x. Will a crappy epi sg sound the same as a gibson one on that amp?

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
of course it will sound different but, it will improve your tone more if you have a good amp with an alright guitar, than a good guitar with a ****ty amp.
So are you saying the cube 30x is a ****ty amp?

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
Quote by m3k
So are you saying the cube 30x is a ****ty amp?

No, he is just saying that if you plan to buy a new guitar to sound better (in terms of tone), buying a new amp should be your priority.

About the Cube 30X, never played it but i have the Roland Microcube which is like its mini version and sound decent even with my cheap Biscayne superstrat.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Well, that faded SG is on sale and I can get it brand new for dirt cheap. Should I take the opportunity? How does a Faded SG ---> Cube 30x setup sounds like to you guys?

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
I think it would sound as good as possible. You will get a marginal improvement in sound because of the increase in playability and sustain of the SG over an Epiphone LP100. The Cube will sound good for metal but the other tones will be somewhat inferior to a cheap tube combo.
I was thinking about getting a Blues Junior but I have my occasional metal urges so I dunno.. Would I be able to plug a high gain pedal into it to turn in into a metal machine?

I mean, I don't wanna get rid of the Ibanez. Despite its price it's really awesome and versatile. Maybe I should invest in a tube amps instead and buy a mid-high end guitar later.

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
Last edited by m3k at Sep 12, 2007,
There are some metal players who would say you can get metal with a Blues Junior, but I will let them speak as I do not play modern metal. I believe you are on the right track.
Well, I figured since it's a tube amp it's very versatile and can be molded into any style with the right pedals. Can someone confirm?

Fender DG-19 Acoustic