I know there's an FAQ and all that but I was just wondering:

If I get the Line6 Toneport GX (which according to the user's 'round here is quite good for the money) can I got from my amp into that? I mean using a line out, or would I have to go from the FX loop (being lower output i assume)? Or would I be better off using just the models that come with the GX?

I don't want anything pro quality or anything, just a way of recording my ideas quickly and maybe recording some backing track jams or whatever.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
If I get the Line6 Toneport GX (which according to the user's 'round here is quite good for the money) can I got from my amp into that? I mean using a line out, or would I have to go from the FX loop (being lower output i assume)? Or would I be better off using just the models that come with the GX?

You'd be better off using the models in GearBox, yes. The GX only has a Hi-Z instrument input (that I know of) and using the line out or FX loop on your amp would just be stupid. And absolute bare bones recording is just setting up an old-school boom box in front of your amp and pressing record. That's how I did it back in 1984...
Quote by ebon00
And absolute bare bones recording is just setting up an old-school boom box in front of your amp and pressing record. That's how I did it back in 1984...

All right then, bare bones digital recording

Thanks though, much appreciated.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by ebon00
And absolute bare bones recording is just setting up an old-school boom box in front of your amp and pressing record. That's how I did it back in 1984...

Lol, been there, done that. But yeah to reaffirm Ebon00's answer since your amp does not have a balanced line out you will have impedence issues if you try to plug straight into the toneport without say a DI box inline. Even with a DI box, though, it might still sound worse than just using the gearbox stuff.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
All right then, bare bones digital recording

Thanks though, much appreciated.

Barebones digital recording is the same idea, only with a computer mic.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU
Barebones digital recording is the same idea, only with a computer mic.

Uhhh...no? I'm going to be going from the guitar, straight to the Toneport GX to the computer; no mic involved at all.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.