This is going to be a long post so please bear with it.

I have one more exam left to do to complete my AAT Technician, which I am going to resit in December. That means therectically if i pass I get my results in February and if I pass, I can start my ACCA in september, apaarantly from level two. (Is this correct?)

However....

I have been accepted to go back to uni to do a degree in accounting and finance. This is a 4 year sandwich course, and I plan on sitting the AAT exam again anyway. Now ive been told after ive done this, I can only skip another level of ACCA, meaning that ACCA is higher than this degree. Is this correct?

If it is, is it worth my time? I would love to have my AAT and a degree but it will take four years. AAT and ACCA will take three, (one for finishing aat and 2 for the levels of ACCA) and is supposedly better than having a degree. But with a degree I can then go on to do ACCA anyway and have a final year (again, apparantly) meaning after five years I will have all three.

At this present moment in time, I work in a firm of accountants. Probably not the best firm ever but occasionly I enjoy it. However im the bosses skivey, normally involves picking his son up from the other office and giving him a lift home (I do live near them, but its just the principle, I dont get paid for it and its a bit hectic to pick him up, I work 30 mils away from where i live.) I have been there two years. To go back to uni, i will have to leave the job, but am confident I can find part time work being a book keeper or something for relatively the same amount per hour, but i will obviously earn less, however i will save 40 pound a week on petrol. I have no problem getting a student loan and not bothered with the rate you pay it back. I may actually be more happier at uni than where I am now

I was going to do the uni course because I believe a CV showing two years experience in accounting with AAT and a degree, plus a year work experience (placement year)and the part time job would look incredible (total of roughly 4 and a half years experience, albiet not all in practice). I could also add ACCA onto the list.

However I could in that time have 6 years work experience in accounting (although not entirely happy where I am, but thats just life yeah?) an AAT and an ACCA. It seems like the safer and simpler option but it doesnt seem as impressive.

Basically I welcome your thoughts and opinions on this matter to help me weigh up what I should do. Please help me out with anything that i may find helpful. If i have missed anything out I will edit and include it

Many thanks

Matt

PS this is on the AAT site, but i wanna get a non accountants view of things as well.
Originally posted by Diminishedfaith

6. Lied? Would I?
10. Done LSD? who's she?
17. Cheated on someone? it was an accident, i didnt remember i had the gameshark on.....
41. Been called a *****?yes, they rate me 5 stars...
46. Kissed someone in a moving vehicle?no, i dont have insurance
I'd personally go with a degree, university is too fun for an intelligent, academic guy (or girl, if you're the sort of person who cares about that stuff) to skip. Especially when you'd otherwise just be working for a gaffer who (let's face it) doesn't exactly treat you with utmost respect.

Two years relevant experience is still pretty good for a post-graduate, and like you say, if you plan on doing the AAT anyways, you may as well. - and of course, the 3rd year will likely be an industrial placement. If you worked at a different firm in that one year, that would be just as valuable as working twice the time at one term.

How old are you?

Anyways, that's my two cents, but judging from your post, I think I know which one you'd rather do.

Go for it
Quote by BrianApocalypse
I'd personally go with a degree, university is too fun for an intelligent, academic guy (or girl, if you're the sort of person who cares about that stuff) to skip. Especially when you'd otherwise just be working for a gaffer who (let's face it) doesn't exactly treat you with utmost respect.

Two years relevant experience is still pretty good for a post-graduate, and like you say, if you plan on doing the AAT anyways, you may as well. - and of course, the 3rd year will likely be an industrial placement. If you worked at a different firm in that one year, that would be just as valuable as working twice the time at one term.

How old are you?

Anyways, that's my two cents, but judging from your post, I think I know which one you'd rather do.

Go for it

ahhh something i forgot, im 22, so i will be 3 or 4 years older than most students. I am leaning towards uni, but have had a bit of criticism about my choice. I did try and go to uni once before after my A levels witha bunch of friends. However, being as stupid as i was back then, they all dropped out, and I followed! I consider this a way of starting over.

Thanks for your opinion

6. Lied? Would I?
10. Done LSD? who's she?
17. Cheated on someone? it was an accident, i didnt remember i had the gameshark on.....
wow, one person had advice....

6. Lied? Would I?
10. Done LSD? who's she?
I don't have much advice, but I know people who started uni at 22 and they fitted in fine.

Look at which route offers you the most opportunities for a good well paying job in the future. Don't forget uni will get you into debt quickly.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
I'd take the uni course personally. The sandwich year will set you up brilliantly with a larger company who may offer you full time employment after you graduate.

Since you can take the other thing after your degree you may as well take uni as it could offer more oppurtunities.

I'd say no one cares at uni if you are older than them by a few years as long as you don't mind it. You will only be a few years behind most people your age but this doesn't matter in the long run.

Enjoy uni and use your 2nd chance at it to go places you could have gone the 1st time if you'd been less influenced by other people.
you are all wonderful people!

6. Lied? Would I?
10. Done LSD? who's she?