HEllo,
So I want to make my own solos, so i learnd the PENTATONIC in A MAJOR completely...
So what else is WORTH Learning..
And why is the A Major so important???
Deutschland
Yeah thats my most defision till now I dont get that ****.. I dont understand WHY play in a Key of something?????? What does that mean????

If i play In Pantatonic Major A? SO WHAT??

And what do u mean: Remember, the scale is the same playing it in a different key, just moved up or down.
Deutschland
/\ if your playing in A, and move up a fret, you'll be playing in A sharp. He's saying scales are played the exact same way for every key, just on different frets.
Quote by screamingfool34
people here are idiot.
Quote by Mr_H_MASTER
the only good wahs out there are Slashs, Zacks, and Dimebags.
Quote by evan1234567
im to tired and confused to comprehend what you said.
Go to some music theory websites. Sounds like you're wondering what the point of a pentatonic scale is. The reason is, a pentatonic scale contains the notes that all variations of the major and minor scales contain. That way, you don't get a funky out of key note when soloing. The three pentatonic patterns also is in such a shape that it makes for fairly easy licks. Here's a link that tries to explain it a little better. it may be a bit confusing, but stick with it. If you're playing in "B Minor" then you'd want to find a song that is also in B Minor (or D major). Basically, none of this will really make sense unless you understand a little bit of theory, you'll just be playing notes in a pattern. Maybe see if you can search online for "Pentatonic Scale Music Theory" and you should get some explanations. Oh, and lastly, which pattern are you playing? Is it like
----------------------------------------------------12--15-
------------------------------------------12--15-----------
-------------------------------12--14----------------------
---------------------12--14--------------------------------
-----------12--14------------------------------------------
-12--15----------------------------------------------------

and then down I'm guessing? It can start on any other fret, as long as it goes up three on the bottom and top two strings and up two on the others. That's what gives you different keys.
I learned this one: http://bluechainlightning.net/pentatonic/pentatonicA.jpg

So, am I understand that thing with notes in one scale and so one.. BUT here my questions:
- WHO, WHY and HOW is decided that a song is in the Key of *???
- Can i mix up scales? Because if I see Steve Vai, He goes from String 6 fret 1 to string 1 fret 15 in a scale that is not like PANTATONIC just go down!
- What about this site: http://bluechainlightning.net/pentatonic.htm
Deutschland
If you want to play and sound like a virtuoso you should learn the seven modes of the major scale, the melodic minor, and the harmonic minor. Since you mentioned pentatonics you could also learn the modal pentatonics and the different variations of the pentatonic scale. Also try learning the basic major, minor, and diminished arpeggios.
Quote by Lance Verinto
If you want to play and sound like a virtuoso you should learn the seven modes of the major scale, the melodic minor, and the harmonic minor. Since you mentioned pentatonics you could also learn the modal pentatonics and the different variations of the pentatonic scale. Also try learning the basic major, minor, and diminished arpeggios.

So lets say I learn them all (ok that will take a bit).. U mean like MAjor A, B, C, D.. Minor A,B,C,D.. And that with all those?
Deutschland
The modes are basic: Ionian mode, Dorian, Phyrgian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian and Locrian. Ionian, Lydian and Mixolydian are major. Dorian, Phyrgian and Aeolian are minor. Ionian is just the major scale, and Aeolian is just the minor scale. The Locrian is diminished. It is important to know what key you're playing in so you can sound well with other musicians. Plus, it is good to know the fretboard and know what you are playing.
Last edited by NickSK at Sep 12, 2007,
In a nutshell, keys are so when you write a riff, it doesn't sound like crap, it's basically a set of notes that work well together.

The reason for keys is so if you are playing with other people, you won't sound like you are all doing your own little thing, you will sound like you are actually playing together.

You don't need to know them all, you just need to know the notes on your low E and you can play it in any key.

Fret 5 is an A, for example.
So, if you play it starting on fret 5, it will be in A
fret 6 will be A# (sharp, in case you don't know)
fret 7 will be in B.
etc
So, am I understand that thing with notes in one scale and so one.. BUT here my questions:
because of the notes in it

- Can i mix up scales? Because if I see Steve Vai, He goes from String 6 fret 1 to string 1 fret 15 in a scale that is not like PANTATONIC just go down!

that's an F and then a G, 4th and 5th degrees of the C major scale, he's not mixing scales (he actually does but you wont understand the complex concepts on his soloing)

you don't have to follow the patterns in the pentatonic scale (yeah, those 5 boxes) you only need to play the notes in it, no matter the order

i'll check it out in a minute
You all dont get my point!!!
@NickSK: WTF is that supposed to be?? BLABLA BLA BLA.. AND IM NOT TALKING about ONE specific song!!! I want to know how its done!!

@Masonpwiley: Ok.. So NOW I know what is the purpose of that, "If I want to play with someone else".. So, but I am not going to do that not that nerdy stuff like orcestra.. Only little band or something..
Grrr.. Yes I know all the notes on wich position.. Im not a NOOB only a beginner.. So i can play songs I want to learn.. I can make songs with chords and maybe some tabbing and stuff..
Deutschland
Quote by coolsascha
I learned this one: http://bluechainlightning.net/pentatonic/pentatonicA.jpg

you can mix up penatonic scales. record yourself chording A and F#m. then listen to your recording and play the A penatonic major scale over it.

try another recording, simple chord pattern, play A, F#m and Bm. now play the A penatonic major scale over the A and F#m chords, but change to the D penatonic major scale over the Bm chord.