Alright I do see a few these every now and then mine is more specific...

Basically im planning on trading in my deville, and I wanna get a B-52 at 112. I found this used music store which would buy my amp for 250$... although I could probably sell it on ebay or craigslist for 400.

But, my amp sometimes gets this loud buzzing sound at higher volumes. Not like buzz from distortion, but loud buzzing, like its not plugged in and you touch the tip of the cable thats running into the amp. I gotta smack the top of it and it stops though, its weird. And I would feel bad selling it online to someone who gigs regularly or something...

I even took it to a professional who found a preamp tube bad, and replaced it. I told him to check all the caps and resistors and the groudning and he didnt find any problems...

But anywayz i got some money saved up, need a little more, but when I called the gutiar center and asked for the price of the amp he told me 500 when its 550, which I guess he was just saying to make it sound better, but do you think I could get it for less? maybe 475? maybe 450? Im just curious as to how much off you guys think I can get them to give me.

As always, thanks!
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Surely you could get it down a little more. Just look for that one guy desperate for a sale. I'd say aim for somewhere around $450. With some time and patience you could get it down there.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
Try to find faults with the cosmetics of the amp, and when you go to get it, don't sound too desperate or they'll know you are willing to spend full price on it. Seem like you are interested, but like you have other options. But dont be a dick about it either because if the guy likes you he may knock off the sales tax or something too. Also, if you can find it new cheaper anywhere on the internet, bring in a printout of the amp or something and see if they'll match the price. I know a lot of stores will do that. Anyway, good luck man, and nice choice on the amp. The AT is a kickass amp for the price.
I respect your honesty regarding the issue with your amp, but I still think you should try to sell it privately. Run a Craig's List ad, and describe the problem as you did here, and then ask $400. Do the same thing on eBay with a Best Offer/BIN of $450. See what happens. In mint condition, the DeVilles will sell for @ $500, so someone may bite on a potential bargain, and you get more money. I bet you get more than $250, anyway. And you do it honestly, no reason for guilt.

As for GC, you should always be able to get 10% off their price without trying too hard, and 15-20% off with more effort. Tell 'em you're looking to "get out the door" (read: after tax!) for $450. Be firm. Don't be a dick. Be nice, smile, and tell him again that's what you're looking to pay, that you know they build some room into their prices. If the salesman won't come down to your number, ask to talk to a manager. Always be prepared to leave if they don't get close enough to your number. If he does get close, do it if he "throws in a couple packs of strings," or something. Once he has you that close to a sale, he won't want you to leave. And you should get a good deal.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
thats good advice. But I dont know very much about ebay and my rating isnt that good...

but my sister actually sells and buys stuff off their regularly and has about 500 different ratings and is at 100%, so I figure I could get her to post it and maybe people would bid more.

Also I dont know anything about shipping it. I guess there are online calculators where I can put in the dimensions and the weight. But where would I go to get a box for it to ship it in, and what about packaging? Any advice would be great
B-52 AT 112
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
I haven't shipped anything big, yet. If you can, I sugest you bring the amp to the post office and/or your local UPS and ask about shipping. I (think I) know they'll both even pack it for you. Get an estimate that way. Otherwise, bringing the weight and dimensions is the next best thing. There's a shipping calculator built into eBay that was pretty good the one time I used it. Add about $5-10 to whatever it says to cover packing material and such.

If you want to pack it up yourself, one idea might be to go to GC and ask if they have any boxes for you! They may even have the styrofoam inserts that fit your amp! Worth a shot. Especially if you tell them you're selling your amp to buy a new one from them.

Depending on how nuts you want to get, you can also pull the tubes and wrap them separately. I've received amps in the mail both ways and it didn't seem to make that much of a diference.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
yea im runnin down to the guitar center today. Im gonna give it a trial run. Ill also do what you suggested and try to ask them if they can provide shipping boxes and foam. I guess ill let ya know how it goes, thanks for all the help
B-52 AT 112
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
yea im gonna do that, can UPS stores package and ship items? I know there is one close by, but I dont know if you can buy boxes and packaging directly from them
B-52 AT 112
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial