hey guys...looking for a different amp...right now im using a line 6 spider III 75 watt and its going to be too big....so if price doesnt matter...whats a great sounding amp that is more metal geared...but small enough to hide away...tube..non tube...anything...will be using a pocket pod for effects
Roland Cube? Or Vox AD15VT XL.

If you want a valve amp, perhaps a Peavey Royal 8 with an overdrive.
can you not turn the spider down?

i mean unless you have a big budget, you probably won't get much better than the spider (yeah, ok, so a cube is better, but is it enough better to justify the purchase if you already have a spider? possibly not.)... and those big budget high gainers are probably less aimed at bedroom playing than your spider is.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
can you not turn the spider down?

i mean unless you have a big budget, you probably won't get much better than the spider (yeah, ok, so a cube is better, but is it enough better to justify the purchase if you already have a spider? possibly not.)... and those big budget high gainers are probably less aimed at bedroom playing than your spider is.

he said it has to be small enough to hide away so he probably needs a compact amp for some reason.

he could sell the spider and get a vox xl
Last edited by The red Strat. at Sep 12, 2007,
ah i missed the bit about hiding it away, sorry.

microcube might be worth a look, but it's pretty much only for practicing. i haven't tried the vox xl's yet, they're doubtless worth a look though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
ah i missed the bit about hiding it away, sorry.

microcube might be worth a look, but it's pretty much only for practicing. i haven't tried the vox xl's yet, they're doubtless worth a look though.

get teh Super Micro model non real amp

naw, I would try Roland Cube 20, but I would get the 60 as it is fairly good and is not huge, its only 18" tall and 17" wide 12"deep, you can put a towel over it then again its all your call, but you could always use your computer as your amp
Micro Cube? Love mine
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
ya...i had a microcube and it didnt do much for me...i love the spider...does all the effects i need...i was more gearing towards a tube amp...that might be smaller...but not sure if its worth it...if im playing mostly metal...and im happy with the spider...will i really need a tube?...
well you're going to struggle to get a low wattage high gain tube amp for any kind of budget. and even if you have a good budget, there aren't very many.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
how big are you able to go? an 8" speaker? a 10 or 12"???

ik the spider is a 12" but is your issue with wattage or physical size?

I like the cube30 for practice but I dunno if 10" speaker is too large for what you need or not.
Gear:
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81/85
Ibanez RG350MP
Fender acoustic (Black)

Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey 6505 212 combo
Last edited by PlayTheMetal at Sep 12, 2007,
Quote by twinturboaudi
ya...i had a microcube and it didnt do much for me...i love the spider...does all the effects i need...i was more gearing towards a tube amp...that might be smaller...but not sure if its worth it...if im playing mostly metal...and im happy with the spider...will i really need a tube?...

they sell a few PEDALS with a tube in the pedal, can get the good sound for less than a GOOD tube amp if you put it in a GOOD SS amp like Roland cube 60

check this out,
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guyatone-MMX-Metal-Monster-Tube-Distortion?sku=155041

I hear its better than the Metal Muff from a few artist I knowm but I duno if its worth $80 more in price, but it sounds insane

I'm sure you can find that used, get same sound as a real tube amp in your SS amp, but needs to be a Roland Cube of some sort, micro, 20, 30, or 60, 60 would be the best as it has the 12" speaker,

you can always sell your spider amp, as it really doesn't immitate sounds the best, but at least you can understand hey im playing this song and that song but just gets old after a while as the effects are quite a bit off, roland effects are fairly good, but it's always best to have your pedals
right now im looking into a B-52 at 112

its a smaller amp, 1x12, so it saves space and it much more portable, and its got 60 watts of all tube power, which is actually a bit louder then your spider, which i from what it sounds like, you want something actually a little bit quieter...

but its the highest gain tube amp I can find for the price, some people can say it can do metal on its own, while ive heard others cant quite get there, which can easily be solved with an OD pedal.

But if your into more versatility then price and tone (IE using some multi effects, or dont care if its SS or tube) there are probably a lot of other options. But personally, im not sure if changing out to another SS is worth the purchase, thats just my opinion
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
I have not used the Guyatone pedal, but I have used other hybrid pedals. They sound a little better (but not much) than a regular hybrid amp (like the Valvetronix.) The principle is basically the same as a hybrid if you use the hybrid pedal into a solid state amp. Keep your money and invest in a good tube combo or a decent (non-hybrid) distortion pedal. The world is full of solid state and modeling amps wishing they sounded like tubes. Get the best solid state sound you can and get a tube combo when you have the money. You may not want an amp this small but you can get a brand new 5 watt combo for $200. With the right pedal you can get some metal.
you guys have been very helpful and i appreciate not being told how much my spider sux...which it doesnt...but that seems to be the cool thing to say...anyway....let me clear up my intentions...id like to downsize a bit the physical size of the whole amp..or keep the same size but get a better sounding amp geared mostly towards a heavy metal sound...all ive been hearing about is tubes...and i can use a pocket pod for effects...so basically a tube amp thats not gonna break the bank,,with great sound and not too big...so far a peavey valve king is what ive been steered towards..but im also thinking of checking out the new spider valve
well, basically, how much are you willing to spend?

the problem is, if you're only using it for home use, you probably aren't going to get much better than the spider you already have for metal, at least if you stick to the cheaper modellers and other solid states.

and modern high gain tube amps generally are pretty expensive.

the valveking would be worth a look, basically. a randall rg50tc would too. Though bear in mind both of those will sound their best when pretty loud.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
money would be under $1000...and ya..its goin to be in an apartment so i really wouldnt get to turn it up much....dont need it to blast a girl's clothes off...just want it to sound its best at a lower volume with some warmth
if money is no issue then a mesa 5:25 is probably the same size as your spider

edit: missed that last comment. peavey VK royal 8 + any overdrive you want, or 2 for extra gain.
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Last edited by Storm_Bringer_ at Sep 12, 2007,
The Peavey XXX super 40 is a 112 combo, I just bought it. It handles metal well IMO, you can find sound clips of it here and there, patocaster423 has some videos on youtube, he plays the XXX if you wanna hear what it sounds like. It runs about $850 though.
Gear:
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81/85
Ibanez RG350MP
Fender acoustic (Black)

Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey 6505 212 combo
yeah i mean if you can get up to $1000, you have a couple more options... xxx combo, 5150/6505 combo (might have to go second hand on that), mesa express/f-series (haven't tried the express yet)... probably a few others I've forgotten.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?